• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Caporegime
So you're just not using the 4090? Seems to be an expensive ornament
I still use it, but not much since I got the XTX. I will flick between the two GPUs periodically and continue to put videos up on YouTube of them both running various games that I play.

I needed an AMD GPU again though to be able to use Radeon Image Sharpening and super sampling, it massively improves IQ in my main game which is Football Manager. Unfortunately Nvidia's options for improving IQ in this game is purely limited to DSR, which looks worse overall in comparison.

Example: https://imgsli.com/MTQxOTUz

Last edited:
Permabanned
I still use it, but not much since I got the XTX. I will flick between the two GPUs periodically and continue to put videos up on YouTube of them both running various games that I play.

I needed an AMD GPU again though to be able to use Radeon Image Sharpening and super sampling, it massively improves IQ in my main game which is Football Manager. Unfortunately Nvidia's options for improving IQ in this game is purely limited to DSR, which looks worse overall in comparison.

I had issues with DSR, it would cause some games to outright crash though I had success with it in Shadow Warrior 2.

Soldato

Yes the AMD is noticeably clearer in that example. I thought DSR was only for improving frame rates, not image quality?
I know there was a thing on the catalyst control panel that you could run games higher than their native resolution, but I'm not sure about the same as what you're talking about.

*Resolution of monitor

Last edited:
Caporegime
I had issues with DSR, it would cause some games to outright crash though I had success with it in Shadow Warrior 2.
If run it at 8K it doesn't work properly with FM, a slither of the desktop shows on the screen instead. However the next resolution down works okay.

Yes the AMD is noticeably clearer in that example. I thought DSR was only for improving frame rates, not image quality?
I know there was a thing on the catalyst control panel that you could run games higher than their native resolution, but I'm not sure about the same as what you're talking about.
It's the same as AMD VSR from what I can tell. Does improve IQ, but can soften the image a bit.

Last edited:
Associate

Really? I used DLDSR and integer GPU scaling when I had an nvidia GPU and it looked great there was even a smoothness option because it often looked too sharp if you didn't use some. DLDSR + DLSS at the same time looked amazing. VSR and FSR are decent too but I've not managed to get it as good as it looked on my 2080 yet. Didn't try NIS though, which would be the equivalent to RSR.

Last edited:
Permabanned
If run it at 8K it doesn't work properly with FM, a slither of the desktop shows on the screen instead. However the next resolution down works okay.

It's the same as AMD VSR from what I can tell. Does improve IQ, but can soften the image a bit.
The DLSS image looks horrible on the 4090, my eyes hurt, the image from the Radeon is much sharper.

Caporegime
Really? I used DLDSR and integer GPU scaling when I had an nvidia GPU and it looked great. DLDSR + DLSS at the same time looked amazing. VSR and FSR are decent too but I've not managed to get it as good as it looked on my 2080 yet.
Nvidia's integer scaling is horrible in comparison to Radeon Image Sharpening, it was sharpening the desktop too when I tried it. Ended up preferring the image from DSR and using the sharpening slider (smoothness slider i believe its called) there, however It still looked noticeably worse. FM does not use DLSS/FSR either, it does not need it as it is not graphically demanding.

Also, my nitro+ seems to cap at 462w, how are people pulling more?
That's the cap its what i see. Sometimes up to 465W. That's the maximum total board power.

Last edited:
Associate
I agree on desktop it looked horrible. My solution was to enable it, run my desktop at standard resolution and any games I used if i could run them fullscreen at the DLDSR res. Tbh though, it was a bit of a faff changing my desktop resolution for DX12 games like God of War that didn't go fullscreen and changing it back once I was done playing.

Ive seen comments where people are stating theirs pull 500w+

Last edited:
Caporegime
I agree on desktop it looked horrible. My solution was to enable it, run my desktop at standard resolution and any games I used if i could run them fullscreen at the DLDSR res. Tbh though, it was a bit of a faff changing my desktop resolution for DX12 games like God of War that didn't go fullscreen and changing it back once I was done playing.
Yep can relate, with the AMD card I can just set this up via an application profile so it applies just to this game it’s much easier and less faff as well as looking better overall. It’s niche, but it’s my main game.

Caporegime
Updated personal musings on the Nitro…

The Nitro is class gents, I’d highly recommend it if you like AMDs eco system and want the best AMD GPU going. Can’t fault the card in anyway.

My personal sample has the least coil whine of any high end GPU I’ve tested recently. Yes it has some, (anyone who says my high end card has no coil whine at all is lying to you - do not believe them) but it is amongst the quiestest of them all.

The RGB bar is ace, makes a horizontal mount the best look for the card. The Trixxx tool works very well, you can view GPU stats, adjust RGB, enable resolution scaling with Radeon image sharpenin, etc. It just works no silly buggers like other bad RGB software. Note, big shoutout to the Palit/GameRock crew, their RGB software is also top notch.

The card is absolutely silent on BIOS 2, whisper quiet, albeit with a lower power limit Than BIOS1 (default).

@Gibbo, it is going to be criminal if the AIO Toxic ships with the same power limit. It should be at least 500W Vs the 464w seen in the Nitro.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive seen comments where people are stating theirs pull 500w+

Its probably overall system power unless they are spikes.

Until someone dumps the bios and we can read the file which states it for sure, the press pack information for the Nitro+ states a maximum board power of 420w on the standard bios.

@LtMatt I doubt the toxic will be over 500watts TBP but the card should guarantee a better bin for GPU and VRAM rather than having to buy 10 nitro+ to find a golden card that performs similarly.

Associate
How you getting on dude?
Difference between the 6900xt Red Devil and the 7900xtx nitro plus, I thought the Red Devil was big.
83UMlf8.jpg
Comparison between a mildly tuned 6900xt Red Devil against a Completely stock 7900xtx nitro plus Res 3840 x 1600
Custom settings.
Port Royal 6900xt RD = 10505 / 7900xtx NP = 16436
Time Spy Extreme 6900xt RD = 10335 / 7900xtx NP = 15132
Doom Eternal 6900xt RD = 99FPS / 7900xtx NP = 197
Horizon Zero Dawn Benchmark 6900xt RD = 114FPS / 7900xtx NP = 149
Horizon Zero Dawn in game 6900xt RD = 93FPS / 7900xtx NP = 135
God of War 6900xt RD = 77FPS / 7900xtx NP =110
Cyber Punk with RT 6900xt RD = 29.79FPS / 7900xtx NP = 46.00
Cyber Punk with RT & FSR 2 - Balanced 6900xt RD = 62.97FPS / 7900xtx NP = 84.94
Spiderman results are quite surprising as I'm CPU bound. 6900xt RD = 90FPS / 7900xtx NP =112 GPU utilisation 78%
Turning raytracing off in spiderman gave me 122 FPS GPU utilisation 84%.

Last edited:
Associate
IMG-5180.jpg

So far it is great and I am happy. 3DMark Speedway shows a 175% increase, Time Spy shows a 93% increase (130% for graphics) and Time Spy Extreme 125% (176% for graphics). Not tried any games yet.....

Had a Asus RTX 2080 Super before the 7900 XTX.

IMG-5171.jpg

Tried FurMark and I could hear a slight coil whine, but did not bother me. Might have heard it in 3DMark. Not tried any games yet. In FurMark, after 15min GPU temp was 70 C and Hotspot 87 C. Around 20min, when I came back in, my computer had shut down, and I had to power off the PSU to get the computer running again. Don't know what caused that yet. Too much draw from PSU (850W PSU)? GPU? Did notice that my chipset temp was 75 C, don't think it has been that before, and I might have done something with the fan when I swapped the SSD a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom