• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

ElT

ElT

Associate
Idle on my 7900XT MBA is around 25-35w. I believe the issue is with multi monitor setups but i don't think its been addressed yet, however AMD are aware.

I'm running a 1440P 144hz monitor FYI.
Well I only have one monitor but it's a massive 5K2K (5120 x 2160) so I guess it depends on if it's specifically when there's more than one monitor or if it's just when there's a lot of screen.

Soldato
wow, my 7900 XT Pulse only boosts to about 2500MHz at stock. Didn't expect it to be this much worse than an MBA card!
Now I'm even more disappointed with it...

just checkd the specs for the pulse xt and its advertised boost frequency is 2450mhz, so if your card is around there or a bit more, it falls right in line with what the card is advertised to do, only the xtx's can push more (2600mhz+), better binning of the silicone, my red devil xtx with stock power limit hovers around 2575-2650mhz in most of my games, but when i add +15% to the power target my core jumps upto around 2900mhz and thats with no manual core adustments in wattman, every card is different, the xt you have looks to be right on the money in regard to its clocks

a MBA xt has a boost target of 2400mhz for reference

Last edited:
Associate
First thing I'd try is upping the power limit to +15 as when the clocks are going that high it may be causing a crash due to the power limit.

My 7900xt MBA regularly boosts up to 2800ish stable but I've got power limit set to +15 and undervolted to 1050mv from 1100mv.
Thank you.. Do you think its a valid alternative setting the GPU clock limit around 2750 MHz? Or should I have to change some other parameters in this case?

Caporegime
just checkd the specs for the pulse xt and its advertised boost frequency is 2450mhz, so if your card is around there or a bit more, it falls right in line with what the card is advertised to do, only the xtx's can push more (2600mhz+), better binning of the silicone, my red devil with stock power limit hovers around 2575-2650mhz in most of my games, but when i add +15% to the power target my core jumps upto around 2900mhz and thats with no manual core adustments in wattman, every card is different, the xt you have looks to be right on the money in regard to its clocks

a MBA xt has a boost target of 2400mhz for reference
Good summary there wookiee87.

Associate
Thanks for the advice. It's a Corsair SF750. the daisy chain was temporary whilst I got a new cable, which I now have.

The MW2 benchmark won't even run with the OC bios turned on - I'll try gaming with it instead at standard clocks for that bios and see if that's stable. It's a platinum rated PSU so it should ok.

It's a bizarre crash though, the game crashes, monitor output stops then starts and the mouse goes unresponsive. Keyboard works fine though.

I would think your PSU is capable. TPU review 100% ~817W from wall, 110% they test at ~904W from wall.

Sustained load your card can pull is ~435W, see this post, max peaks bit higher.

My system specs:-

R7 5800X3D (CO Tuned: -5 -9 -0 -4 -10 -21 -7 -14 142W 95A 140A 1x)
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200MHz C16 2x16GB @ 3800MHz 1.35V 1:1:1 SOC 1.0V VDDG & VDDP 0.901

MBA RX 7900 XTX GPU min: 2648MHz GPU max: 2848MHz VRAM: 2748MHz VGFX: 1095mV PL: +15% FAN profile edited

2x WD SN770 Black 2TB NVMe
2x Samsung 870 EVO 4TB SATA SSD

9x Arctic Cooling F12 PWM fans
2x Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 140mm 1k (Set to full speed)
1x EK D5 Pump (50% PWM)

RGB on Bykski CPU block 6 LED 12V
RGB in case 42 LED 5V

Cooler Master V850 850W (not V2)

ASUS MG279Q, Cherry Keyboard, Logitech G700

So sustained load based on PPT 349W+15% = ~401W, above profile for my card.

Including screen (~30W), total rig, wall power plug meter reads when zero'd under load from 3DM TS ST, min ~486W max ~547W, idle for rig is ~104W.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank you.. Do you think its a valid alternative setting the GPU clock limit around 2750 MHz? Or should I have to change some other parameters in this case?
I know it's time consuming but I'd set the power limit to 15 and turn off zero fan. Then set your boost clock to AMD spec which is 2400 (I think).

Run a benchmark at that speed and power limit then if everythings ok increase the boost clock by 100mhz incrementally and keep running the benchmark each time. When your score either gets worse or you get a crash wind it back 50mhz until it's stable.

Once you've done that try undervolting the card -25 each time repeating the same process as above.

Doing this I've managed to get a score of 3582 in Superposition 4k everything maxed.

My settings are...

7900xt MBA
Core boost - 2890
Power limit +15
Vram - fast timing
Vram clock - 2600
Core voltage - 1035

Max temps at junction is 90c.

Last edited:
Associate
I know it's time consuming but I'd set the power limit to 15 and turn off zero fan. Then set your boost clock to AMD spec which is 2400 (I think).

Run a benchmark at that speed and power limit then if everythings ok increase the boost clock by 100mhz incrementally and keep running the benchmark each time. When your score either gets worse or you get a crash wind it back 50mhz until it's stable.

Once you've done that try undervolting the card -25 each time repeating the same process as above.

Doing this I've managed to get a score of 3582 in Superposition 4k everything maxed.

My settings are...

7900xt MBA
Core boost - 2890
Power limit +15
Vram - fast timing
Vram clock - 2600
Core voltage - 1035

Max temps at junction is 90c.
Your VRAM clock doesn't go higher or lower gives better results? I run mine at 2750mhz+fast timing, haven't tried higher as it seems to be great enough.
Mine runs TimeSpy benchmark even with 1020mV, but in gaming 1040mV is stable.
How are your memory temps?

Soldato
Your VRAM clock doesn't go higher or lower gives better results? I run mine at 2750mhz+fast timing, haven't tried higher as it seems to be great enough.
Mine runs TimeSpy benchmark even with 1020mV, but in gaming 1040mV is stable.
How are your memory temps?
I only started playing with vram clocks last night after trying to get the core boost and undervolt sorted.

I'll play more with it tonight, I think I've still got a tiny bit of power headroom so I'll see if the memory has any more to offer. To be honest I just wanged it to 2600mhz to see :cry:.

I've not checked memory temps but I will do tonight. You seem to get much better benchmark scores by tweaking the memory. The only game I've had a crash on was star citizen but I don't think that's 100% on the card given the state of that game.

Soldato
So I played a little with the power limit on the silent Bios last night and the card will happily pull 408w and boost up to around 2940mhz when playing MW. I've got a small undervolt down to 1125 and just increased the power +10%.
Once I get some time later I will have a go at gaming on the OC bios at stock as I still haven't tried that. To be honest though I just need 175fps at 3440x1440 and this is pushing that out with ease in multiplayer and even hitting it in warzone on the silent bios so I should just save the power money :)

Associate
Another Nitro owner on this board. :)

What's the asic and delta between edge and hotspot at idle?

The day MBA was gonna come I had free day and guess what DPD deliver about 7pm...

Today I have to go out to work and DPD delivered about 8:30am...

As I passed the wife with the Nitro in my hands, she gave me the look!

And quietly asked is that another PC part...

I softly said yeesss...

LOOL...

Will spill the beans soon mate :) ...

Last edited:
Caporegime
So I played a little with the power limit on the silent Bios last night and the card will happily pull 408w and boost up to around 2940mhz when playing MW. I've got a small undervolt down to 1125 and just increased the power +10%.
Once I get some time later I will have a go at gaming on the OC bios at stock as I still haven't tried that. To be honest though I just need 175fps at 3440x1440 and this is pushing that out with ease in multiplayer and even hitting it in warzone on the silent bios so I should just save the power money :)
Yes I am going to be moving to the silent BIOS, aside from YT videos where it'll be balls to the wall as usual. Any money that can be saved from energy is useful atm, over £4.50 here this was taken before 9:30am. :cry:
ZMdub3g.jpg
The day MBA was gonna come I had free day and guess what DPD deliver about 7pm...

Today I have to go out to work and DPD delivered about 8:30am...

As I passed the wife with the Nitro in my hands, she gave me the look!

And quietly asked is that another PC part...

I softly said yes...

LOOL...

Will spill the beans soon mate :) ...
:cry:

I can relate, to all of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes I am going to be moving to the silent BIOS, aside from YT videos where it'll be balls to the wall as usual. Any money that can be saved from energy is useful atm, over £4.50 here this was taken before 9am. :cry:
SNIP

:cry:

I can relate, to all of it.

Mine only shows me my gas - the electric doesnt work so I am in the dark (I kinda like it).

I just sit here in a jumper at home refusing to put the heat on all day (happy to smash out £1300 on a GPU though :cry: )

Associate
I hope someone can help me out. Just installed my new XFX Merc3100 7900XT (after many years of being nvidia user). I am currently in the process of learning the million and one settings in the Adrenalin software (the last time I used AMD it was called Catalyst). I am testing different games, and ran into a weird issue. Shadow of the Tomb Raider behaves like is not detected as a fullscreen game. The GPU sits in idle mode. Quick googling did not turn up anything useful, and reviews have tested this game and it ran fine, so it's something on my end.

I have tested the game in windowed mode and now GPU is running at max speed. Exclusive Fullscreen does not make a difference.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I hope someone can help me out. Just installed my new XFX Merc3100 7900XT (after many years of being nvidia user). I am currently in the process of learning the million and one settings in the Adrenalin software (the last time I used AMD it was called Catalyst). I am testing different games, and ran into a weird issue. Shadow of the Tomb Raider behaves like is not detected as a fullscreen game. The GPU sits in idle mode. Quick googling did not turn up anything useful, and reviews have tested this game and it ran fine, so it's something on my end.

I have tested the game in windowed mode and now GPU is running at max speed. Exclusive Fullscreen does not make a difference.
I just tested SOTTR and it seemed okay for me. Can you try pressing Alt+Enter to switch between window and full screen mode a couple of times?

Associate
I just tested SOTTR and it seemed okay for me. Can you try pressing Alt+Enter to switch between window and full screen mode a couple of times?
Yes, when it's in windowed mode, works fine (except it's now in a window, obviously). When it's fullscreen, gpu usage is like it was in idle on the desktop, and frame rate just dies (I get 9 fps). Back and forth with alt+enter, same thing, window great, fullscreen dead.

Back
Top Bottom