• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 7900 XT(X) Owners Thread.

Associate
It's worth a shot and make sure to do uninstall in safe mode and do a completely factory reset install of the drivers. Also I would suggest after the clean install just try running the game with everything stock in terms of the AMD settings, see if you get the same issue with the HDR.
Tried DDU, ran game with default driver settings, same thing.

Associate
And I found the problem for my HDR issue. It was the overlay. Whenever that is turned on (and it is on all the time because, new card, I feel the need to monitor everything :p), it pops up on top of the game, and for some reason AMD thinks now the game is in the background, and throttling down. Don't know why it only happens when HDR is on, but there you have it. I am going to report it to AMD (because there is a little Bug Report Tool button there, so I may as well use it :p). Thanks to ltMatt, jinxpad and sHo0sH for the troubleshooting tips. Exactly 10 years ago I bought the HD7870, after which I went Team Green, but now I'm glad to be back on Team Red.

Caporegime
And I found the problem for my HDR issue. It was the overlay. Whenever that is turned on (and it is on all the time because, new card, I feel the need to monitor everything :p), it pops up on top of the game, and for some reason AMD thinks now the game is in the background, and throttling down. Don't know why it only happens when HDR is on, but there you have it. I am going to report it to AMD (because there is a little Bug Report Tool button there, so I may as well use it :p). Thanks to ltMatt, jinxpad and sHo0sH for the troubleshooting tips. Exactly 10 years ago I bought the HD7870, after which I went Team Green, but now I'm glad to be back on Team Red.
Well done on narrowing it down, sounds like a quirky bug. THe AMD overlay is great, but it does cost a couple of FPS. Using rivaauner for an overlay has a much lower performance cost.

Associate
Well done on narrowing it down, sounds like a quirky bug. THe AMD overlay is great, but it does cost a couple of FPS. Using rivaauner for an overlay has a much lower performance cost.
I didn't use Afterburner (and RTSS as a result) because it's not officially supported on the 7900XT and didn't want to add an unknown variable into the mix while testing a new card (and new software I'm unfamiliar with).

Caporegime
I didn't use Afterburner (and RTSS as a result) because it's not officially supported on the 7900XT and didn't want to add an unknown variable into the mix while testing a new card (and new software I'm unfamiliar with).
Yes that makes sense. :)

Afterburner can cause problems (often it makes the WattMan settings get lost on start-up) but if you disable the erase settings on start-up option that can prevent the issue.

Last edited:
Associate
your card does seem to be underperforming a fair bit, for comparision here is my red devil 7900xtx (link below), if you compare gpu scores only, the nitro should out do my card as it has a higher power limit, not sure if it could be a cpu bottleneck, though a 5800x is a solid cpu

try backing down your core a bit, also have a play with under volting, perhaps not as low as 1050mv, i found 1090mv on my card to be a good middle ground, some cards here have ben as low as 1060mv. @LtMatt is your best bet to ask for help he's got a pretty good nitro and he can help get your card back on track

Thanks for that, I only used 1050 as I saw it mentioned a few times I think, plus I manly wanted to test to see if it was an issue with RL or for what ever reason my PSU was not providing enough power (but I would expect that to just restart the PC). I shall tweak the voltage and see how it goes.

Make sure v-sync is off and Radeon chill is off. There looks like a frame cap is on.

Thats a good point, I don't think Radeon chill is on (never used it), but I do have a global frame cap of 144 to match my monitor.

Soldato
Thanks for that, I only used 1050 as I saw it mentioned a few times I think, plus I manly wanted to test to see if it was an issue with RL or for what ever reason my PSU was not providing enough power (but I would expect that to just restart the PC). I shall tweak the voltage and see how it goes.

Thats a good point, I don't think Radeon chill is on (never used it), but I do have a global frame cap of 144 to match my monitor.

frame cap should always be disbaled in benchmark programs, you can loose a lot of performance otherwise, ideally set the frame cap in your games, you could setup your profile so any bechmark programs can use uncapped frame limit and then 144fps for everything else

Associate
frame cap should always be disbaled in benchmark programs, you can loose a lot of performance otherwise, ideally set the frame cap in your games, you could setup your profile so any bechmark programs can use uncapped frame limit and then 144fps for everything else

Yeah I know, just forgot I had it enabled at the time, was past my bed time at this point :o

Soldato
Here is what mine is getting on TimeSpy - https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/87463366? this is at 1090 on the undervolt and +10% power limit on my silent bios. I had run one at 1125 and no extra power limite and the GPU score was around 29k so a nice improvement from such a small tweak.

nice our cards are almost identical XD, your gpu score is 13 points more, i've yet to try and tweak my core, i moved my ram speed up in bits to where it was during the 3dmark run (2726mhz) i think i was using default timings, your core looks to be pretty good tbh and temps are good too

Soldato
nice our cards are almost identical XD, your gpu score is 13 points more, i've yet to try and tweak my core, i moved my ram speed up in bits to where it was during the 3dmark run (2726mhz) i think i was using default timings, your core looks to be pretty good tbh and temps are good too
I would imagine the lack of me having the heating on is probably those 13pts and the temps - its coooooold in here! :)

Soldato
Not bad gentlemen. Here's a graphics score for you to try and beat, faster than stock 4090s. :cool:

a challenge awaits, tbh i may be able to get 29-30k overall once my block arrives, but i'll try never the less, your cpu score is huge, i'm in the high 16k range, will look at the ccx tweak you mentioned a while ago.

Caporegime
a challenge awaits, tbh i may be able to get 29-30k overall once my block arrives, but i'll try never the less, your cpu score is huge, i'm in the high 16k range, will look at the ccx tweak you mentioned a while ago.
Actually for Timespy you just need to disable SMT, it's for Firestrike Standard and possibly extreme you need to disable a CCD to get more graphics utilisation. Annoyingly that was one of my worst CPU scores when I did that run.

Soldato
I'm just over the moon I can finally game with decent settings at 3440x1440 in warzone - frame counter in game is around 160-200 FPS (175 frame limit) With the balanced preset and some tweaks. AND ITS SILENT (other than the coil whine)
This is basically all I wanted from the card

Last edited:
Associate
Here is what mine is getting on TimeSpy - https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/87463366? this is at 1090 on the undervolt and +10% power limit on my silent bios. I had run one at 1125 and no extra power limite and the GPU score was around 29k so a nice improvement from such a small tweak.
Which model is that, the Nitro? I'm running around those settings on my XTX Red Devil and get just above of 30k in Timespy default.

Back
Top Bottom