• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Soldato
Morning,
Grab yourself the latest drivers as they where updated 7/7, both chipset and gpu.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x370
https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap...amd-radeon-2nd-generation-vega/amd-radeon-vii
I was having the broken overlay issue and its now back up and running in the latest driver.
Black screen is normal too if the UV is too low. A good sweet spot is 1900Mhz. The other thing is to not go mad with the HBM speed as it uses power and you'll loose core clock. Go with 1100mhz HBM and 1900mhz with around 1030mv and test. Tweak the voltage from there.
I'm on water and use a daily 1900mhz/1140HBM @ 1000mv (1062mv default voltage).
Hello again sir. Did you ever beat my score on fsu bench?
If you get it right 2000mhz and 1200mhz is possible for a daily norm on water.
I was 1 250 on the hbm with 2000mhz core as the chip was a beauty
For my firestrike best run it was 1275 and 2230mhz

Caporegime
Welcome to the club munky, it's a lovely card and a beast at 4K with all that memory.

Yes it's normal to have to restart in that situation. Nice undervolt you have there, should be able to lower the fan speed to silent with that kind of undervolt and keep junction temps below 110c.

Plug and play HBM to 1200Mhz too and +50% power limit.

Associate
Morning,
Grab yourself the latest drivers as they where updated 7/7, both chipset and gpu.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x370
https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-2nd-generation-vega/amd-radeon-2nd-generation-vega/amd-radeon-vii
I was having the broken overlay issue and its now back up and running in the latest driver.
Black screen is normal too if the UV is too low. A good sweet spot is 1900Mhz. The other thing is to not go mad with the HBM speed as it uses power and you'll loose core clock. Go with 1100mhz HBM and 1900mhz with around 1030mv and test. Tweak the voltage from there.
I'm on water and use a daily 1900mhz/1140HBM @ 1000mv (1062mv default voltage).

Hello there!
Yes it's normal if the driver flakes out for a black screen and restart.
As for wattman its a bit awkward at 4k with its overlay. Usually I would press alt o or whatever it is and it would not appear but I'd still have to press it again to have the noise go back in game.
I find that the right hand gui worked more often than the metric data, and if you alt tab out of the game it would mess it up.
I and others here have lots of experience with this card, just ask away for advice.
980mv is very good, that's what I got on mine from 1081mv also. Your card will be a great overclocker

Ah great, thanks guys. I'll check out the drivers but I've a sneaking suspicion I may have the latest drivers mind as I only downloaded them on Friday. I'll have a look though. I just tried to see if I could hit 2000mhz out the box with the stock volts of 1082mv but no luck sadly. Not sure I want to feed it too much more voltage as it's already pretty toasty at that lol! might have to resurrect the old custom loop in the future when I find a cheap 2nd hand block :)

I'll give the sweet spot a go and see if I can dial it back somewhat the power. TBH, the card is a beast compared to what I've come from and at stock clocks with the UV I'm a happy bunny :)

Associate
Welcome to the club munky, it's a lovely card and a beast at 4K with all that memory.

Yes it's normal to have to restart in that situation. Nice undervolt you have there, should be able to lower the fan speed to silent with that kind of undervolt and keep junction temps below 110c.

Plug and play HBM to 1200Mhz too and +50% power limit.

Thanks Matt. I did try the auto mem oc which went to 1200 but got artifacts straight away. If you've already UV'ed the card, would the auto mem oc apply stock bolts or the previous UV?

Associate
Hello again sir. Did you ever beat my score on fsu bench?
If you get it right 2000mhz and 1200mhz is possible for a daily norm on water.
I was 1 250 on the hbm with 2000mhz core as the chip was a beauty
For my firestrike best run it was 1275 and 2230mhz
Morning,
Going to be repasting my card during the week as the heat transfer just isn't there. The paste this alphacool block arrived with is clearly poor so I've got a tube of "Hydronaut" on the way. Managed to get peaks of 51C core and HBM and 96C junction lol.

Caporegime
Thanks Matt. I did try the auto mem oc which went to 1200 but got artifacts straight away. If you've already UV'ed the card, would the auto mem oc apply stock bolts or the previous UV?
Restart and try manually setting it yourself. Also try upping the core voltage a little, perhaps to 1.000mv and see if that helps. If not maybe dial the memory back 25Mhz until the artifacts disappear.

Had a few Radeon VII's, and they all did 1200Mhz on the HBM.

Associate
Restart and try manually setting it yourself. Also try upping the core voltage a little, perhaps to 1.000mv and see if that helps. If not maybe dial the memory back 25Mhz until the artifacts disappear.

Had a few Radeon VII's, and they all did 1200Mhz on the HBM.
So if its manually set to say, 0987mv before you click auto mem oc, it OC'd the mem with the 0.987mv, rather than stock 1080mv?

Soldato
I'll give it a go manually as well as you say, just interested to know how it works
Ltmatt or wattmatt, as he likes to be called is a good one to listen to.
I also played around too much with my Radeon 7 and hold the 3rd fastest score in firestrike for a radeon 7, so please ask anytime.

As for tweaking. The card had the most amazing vrms, so pushing high mv does nothing bad, really ive tried, with rediculous power play mods that push 600w through and way more amps.
The only problem as you encountered is the heat management.
2000mhz on air is going to be nearly impossible on just Air, even with 100% fans
, 1935mhz with 1200 hbm +50%power limit at 1100mv would probably be the limit of overclocking with the stock cooler. Just keep the junction below 110 and everything will be fine.

Associate
Ltmatt or wattmatt, as he likes to be called is a good one to listen to.
I also played around too much with my Radeon 7 and hold the 3rd fastest score in firestrike for a radeon 7, so please ask anytime.

As for tweaking. The card had the most amazing vrms, so pushing high mv does nothing bad, really ive tried, with rediculous power play mods that push 600w through and way more amps.
The only problem as you encountered is the heat management.
2000mhz on air is going to be nearly impossible on just Air, even with 100% fans
, 1935mhz with 1200 hbm +50%power limit at 1100mv would probably be the limit of overclocking with the stock cooler. Just keep the junction below 110 and everything will be fine.

Indeed he is! I can remember back I the dark ages it was LtMatt who managed to suss a workaround for the fluctuating clocks on R9 290's all to common now and accepted as standard but used to do my head in at the time lol!

Thanks for the advice mate. I will no doubt be asking far too many (stupid) questions as Undervolting is new to me.

For example: does the power limit actually do anything? Not seen a deviation above the .987mv at all at any point with +20% set?

Soldato
Indeed he is! I can remember back I the dark ages it was LtMatt who managed to suss a workaround for the fluctuating clocks on R9 290's all to common now and accepted as standard but used to do my head in at the time lol!

Thanks for the advice mate. I will no doubt be asking far too many (stupid) questions as Undervolting is new to me.

For example: does the power limit actually do anything? Not seen a deviation above the .987mv at all at any point with +20% set?
The power limit refers to the watts it can pull at max. The card is 300w tdp so it allows +20% more. The mv are specific to driving the core and hbm and will not change from what you set it to i.e 1082mv e.t.c

If you use gpu z, or afterburner you can see that the watts increase with the powerlimit when it's under heavy load.

Soldato
Next stupid question, would the card throttle before it hit the junction max temp or would hitting the temp cause black screen and reboot?
Haha that's the best question. I asked myself that so many times!
Yes it will. But to know for sure if its that you have to be watching it when it happens but if it happens, you have a black screen so you can see the temps. It will also do it if you put the core to high with not enough mv

It will also do it if it needs more watts to hit the settings you put and the power limit is reached, usually when it checks the temps and decides to boost to a speed it can't handle.

For easy everyday when mine had the stock fans I was using 1011mv 1830mhz and 1200mhz hbm with full power limit increase.
That kept it at or over 1800 at all times with a nice reduction of noise and heat.

Associate
Lol! Sounds like a lucky guess then

I'll play about and see if that's what happened with my 2000mhz attempt.

One more for you then: does the manual fan curve work more as a rough guide rather than a strict relationship between temp and fan rpm?

There doesn't seem to be much correlation between the stated figures on the graph, and what the fan rpm is doing under load. Granted, most likely I'm not doing right but I thought I'd ask. In wattman by the way

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol! Sounds like a lucky guess then

I'll play about and see if that's what happened with my 2000mhz attempt.

One more for you then: does the manual fan curve work more as a rough guide rather than a strict relationship between temp and fan rpm?

There doesn't seem to be much correlation between the stated figures on the graph, and what the fan rpm is doing under load. Granted, most likely I'm not doing right but I thought I'd ask. In wattman by the way
The fan curve should directly correlate to the temps and the way that you set it. Not sure what's up for you on that front.

Back
Top Bottom