• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Soldato
So, where does the VII stand now that Navi has released? Still the better option for 4K gaming? I'm still within my returns window if need be.

Decision is yours, would you pay the extra £220-£270?

Also there is another review 4K here

Check all other reviewers like Guru3d. The distance between the cards at 4K is ~10% between a 3 fan cooler Radeon VII and a blower 5700XT.

Man of Honour
So, where does the VII stand now that Navi has released? Still the better option for 4K gaming? I'm still within my returns window if need be.
I'm going through the same thought process although I paid a bit less for my VII so the decision isn't quite so clear. The 16gb is a bit tempting for long term ownership though.

Associate
After watching quite a few reviews (including those posted above), I've decided to return my Radeon VII and grab the PowerColor RX 5700 XT from here instead. The small performance difference between the two isn't really worth the £197 extra I will have paid for the VII!

I can then put that £197 towards something else for my upcoming Ryzen 7 3700X build. :D

Soldato
If it's just for gaming I can't see why anybody would pick a Vega VII over a 5700XT, for me this will just be a "stopgap" until "full fat" Navi is released anyway so I can't see 16GB being an issue in the short/medium term.

I will wait until custom/AIO versions of 5700XT are released and then retire my Vega 64 AIO.

Associate
If it's just for gaming I can't see why anybody would pick a Vega VII over a 5700XT, for me this will just be a "stopgap" until "full fat" Navi is released anyway so I can't see 16GB being an issue in the short/medium term.

I will wait until custom/AIO versions of 5700XT are released and then retire my Vega 64 AIO.

I certainly didn't expect Navi to be as good as it has actually turned out. The fact that's it's only just behind the VII in a number of games I play, and at 4K too... well, it's stunning! :eek:

Associate
Rumours starting to do the rounds that it's already been declared EOL.

Seen news today saying the same thing. I assume there’s not enough stock in the channel for a crazy EOL deal? ;)

I think that's been the plan ever since the 5700 cards were revealed. They were never really long term products, and with Navi out their worth as gaming cards has diminished significantly. Now, if they can create a VII style card using Navi.... :D

One can but hope. But I wouldn't hold my breath to be honest :)

It's unlikely. I got mine for £577, but I haven't seen anything cheaper than that, and as stock dwindles prices will probably rise rather than fall. But you never know, someone might want stock gone fast, and slash prices. ;)

Associate
Morning All, Bit late to the party :)

Love the card so far. Big step up on the 1070 I've had for a few years. Nice to finally be able to make use of my 4k monitor properly! :)

Managed to get stable enough at stock core clock with 987mv so happy enough with that. Down from 1082mv. Not really tried much in the way of OC'ing yet, been too busy watching the eye candy in the games :)

Onto about page 14 of the 109 in this thread so forgive me if this has been covered, but does is a system reboot normal when the card hangs for whatever reason? During playing around with the UV'ing, everytime it failed it blackscreened and the rebooted. It's my first time with UV'ing so this may be the case but when OC'ing other cards in the past, it was more that the driver hung, then recovered.

Also, can't get wattman to assign a key to the overlay, which is a bit odd. No combo of shift, alt or control seem to work. Bit odd.

BdqZi8w.jpg

Associate

Love the card so far. Big step up on the 1070 I've had for a few years. Nice to finally be able to make use of my 4k monitor properly! :)

Managed to get stable enough at stock core clock with 987mv so happy enough with that. Down from 1082mv. Not really tried much in the way of OC'ing yet, been too busy watching the eye candy in the games :)

Onto about page 14 of the 109 in this thread so forgive me if this has been covered, but does is a system reboot normal when the card hangs for whatever reason? During playing around with the UV'ing, everytime it failed it blackscreened and the rebooted. It's my first time with UV'ing so this may be the case but when OC'ing other cards in the past, it was more that the driver hung, then recovered.

Also, can't get wattman to assign a key to the overlay, which is a bit odd. No combo of shift, alt or control seem to work. Bit odd.

BdqZi8w.jpg

Morning,
Grab yourself the latest drivers as they where updated 7/7, both chipset and gpu.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x370
https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap...amd-radeon-2nd-generation-vega/amd-radeon-vii
I was having the broken overlay issue and its now back up and running in the latest driver.
Black screen is normal too if the UV is too low. A good sweet spot is 1900Mhz. The other thing is to not go mad with the HBM speed as it uses power and you'll loose core clock. Go with 1100mhz HBM and 1900mhz with around 1030mv and test. Tweak the voltage from there.
I'm on water and use a daily 1900mhz/1140HBM @ 1000mv (1062mv default voltage).

Soldato

BdqZi8w.jpg
Hello there!
Yes it's normal if the driver flakes out for a black screen and restart.
As for wattman its a bit awkward at 4k with its overlay. Usually I would press alt o or whatever it is and it would not appear but I'd still have to press it again to have the noise go back in game.
I find that the right hand gui worked more often than the metric data, and if you alt tab out of the game it would mess it up.
I and others here have lots of experience with this card, just ask away for advice.
980mv is very good, that's what I got on mine from 1081mv also. Your card will be a great overclocker

Back
Top Bottom