• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Permabanned
I agree completely, with an Overclocked system and over clocked gfx card the PSU becomes one of the most important parts of the system. At stock speed I would say a good quality 800w minimum PSU. Heavily over clocked system a 1000w good quality PSU should be aimed for. Any failures by low rated PSU’s could take out your hardware and fry it.

Never skimp on the PSU it’s most important!

A few years ago I was running a pre-built Hewlett Packard PC which originally had a dual core Athlon II, no discreet graphics card & a little 300watt psu, I added a quad core Phenom II & an Asus 5570 (no additional power cables required), A few months later I went to a local computer repair shop and bought a new cheap brand 750 watt psu, soon after I ordered an Asus GTX 560ti online, When it came I fitted it and it seemed fine, a couple of days later I paused a game I was playing and went to make a cuppa, when I got back the PC was shutdown & when I tried to boot up it was completely dead, Later testing showed that both the PSU and brand new GTX 560ti were dead.

It's one of those it won't happen to me scenario's that sometimes does happen and considering the price of a VII it's definitely not a risk I'd be willing to take.

Man of Honour
Extremely put off by the 2080Ti failure rate so think I'm going to go with the Vega 7. Plus the 11GB VRAM on the 2080Ti is just too low (maybe not right now) for 4K imo

Need to upgrade my PSU though as well, but I'm quite excited to go back to AMD and have an all red system.

Associate
Extremely put off by the 2080Ti failure rate so think I'm going to go with the Vega 7. Plus the 11GB VRAM on the 2080Ti is just too low (maybe not right now) for 4K imo

Need to upgrade my PSU though as well, but I'm quite excited to go back to AMD and have an all red system.

In all honestly the VII seems to have a fair few issues itself from what I have read.

I currently have a 2080ti and am very tempted to sell it and get the Radeon VII with a new Freesync screen. Call me mad but I feel somewhat disappointed with the 2080ti right now.

Any recommendations for a 1440p screen to go with the Radeon VII?

Associate

I have been with nvidia since the 6800 series and been quite happy, that was until I dropped 1k on a titan P then some weeks later nvidia brought out the titan XP and then the titan XP limited edition shortly after that, each with a small performance bump. 3 titan pascal cards.
after that I said no more nvidia. its like the RTX titan now, people will be peeved if the RTX titan gets another upgrade in 6 months time. The titan P has been a good card, and still fast enough, but I was not going to spend over 2k on the rtx titan. and I have enjoyed being back to AMD
with the VII as I think it has more to come yet when under water and drivers improve yet more. no its not as fast as a 2080ti but its also half the price where the 2080ti should have been. plus they have been failing all over the net, I don't remember a thread asking if your 1080ti had failed.

So go vega VII and enjoy it, its a great card with the extra HBM2 16g

Soldato
I have been with nvidia since the 6800 series and been quite happy, that was until I dropped 1k on a titan P then some weeks later nvidia brought out the titan XP and then the titan XP limited edition shortly after that, each with a small performance bump. 3 titan pascal cards.
after that I said no more nvidia. its like the RTX titan now, people will be peeved if the RTX titan gets another upgrade in 6 months time. The titan P has been a good card, and still fast enough, but I was not going to spend over 2k on the rtx titan. and I have enjoyed being back to AMD
with the VII as I think it has more to come yet when under water and drivers improve yet more. no its not as fast as a 2080ti but its also half the price where the 2080ti should have been. plus they have been failing all over the net, I don't remember a thread asking if your 1080ti had failed.

So go vega VII and enjoy it, its a great card with the extra HBM2 16g

It's always been easy to tell when Nvidia is holding back the fully enabled consumer cards for higher yield rate or greed. You just need to look at the quadro line to see the chips full specification. Suprisingly the Rtx Titan is the full quadro chip, this time round. However looking at the rtx2080 compared to the Quadro Rtx 5000, it's clear it's not the full chip.

As to Amd the VII is ok but it depends what your current gcard is, to whether the upgrade is worth it. I find it pretty underwhelming and overpriced. However I refuse to buy Nvidia so i'll just have to keep this v64, hoping Amd bring out a decent upgrade in a year or two.

Back
Top Bottom