• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Caporegime
I like to think of it as quality over quantity as has been demonstrated many times over with fsr vs dlss now, better results, better choice of games.... ;) :D :cry: I'm sure developers appreciate having better support and testing tools etc. over the "over the fence" approach. Another good usage scenario to look at is the likes of android (open source) vs iOS (closed source), just have a read through comments from developers to see their take on the pros/cons of both approaches.

But of course it would have been better if nvidia opened it fully up but alas, it's not how they do things, at least they don't try to hide it unlike some who make out they are good guys but refuse to work towards a unified approach......

It's a shame amd won't get involved with nvidias solution of being able to integrate all 3 at the same time though, are you aware of any reason why amd aren't wanting to? As it would save the developers a lot of time and faff if they could integrate all 3 solutions in one go, after all isn't this what AMD want i.e. to help developers and the industry as much as possible? And given the recent efforts by modders piggy backing on dlss, in theory, it should be very easy for amd to integrate with this solution.

sTDnmqT.png

:p

Soldato
Dlss now in flight simulator

Soldato
Dlss now in flight simulator

Welcome addition, should help alleviate the 70 and 80 vram limitations in this title.

Caporegime
Welcome addition, should help alleviate the 70 and 80 vram limitations in this title.

Yup because they are struggling so bad aren't they....

TzF5eBo.png

But what happens if you have a graphics card with even more graphics memory? As you can see only at Ultra HD is starting to fill up that kerosine data-tank in our own created benchmark when graphics cards have more memory available. We max out at roughly 11 GB. Flight Simulator really likes to use your graphics memory. I'll operate subtle at 8GB framebuffers. However terrain is responsible for extensive further VRAM usage, and with so many locations worldwide, there's no conclusive answer here. Extra framebuffer memory does not make the sim noticeably less stutter-free, neither went performance upwards. But it will cache as much as needed and as much as possible and surely that can only be a positive thing.

:cry:

Come on tommy, thought you would have learnt by now where, when and how you encounter some actual proper vram issues :D

@TNA

Have you tried this with your measly 8GB 3070 yet? :cry:

Caporegime
Been having fun with this all morning, and it's a cracking looking game. Using a wet Bahrain I'm finding at 3840x1600 with everything up, DLSS quality is a difference of about 30fps on average, going from mid 50s to mid 80s. Makes a big difference, and I don't notice any visual difference in gameplay. May be little differences, but nothing I've noticed or care about.

Changing to DLSS performance makes another 25fps difference, getting around 110fps, and again very little visual degradation. Possibly some slight additional blurring as objects fly past, but it's minimal and if it means I could run this on a 3060ti at 60fps, I'd have it on in a heartbeat.

Running at ultra performance made the rain effects on the ground look like an epileptic nightmare, just random flickers everywhere. Performance was around mid 130s, but there is no way I'd be using it. It does note that it is meant for 8k, but I'd rather be lowering resolution or other settings than trying to make this work.

DLSS on, RT on

DLSS quality - Mid 80s
DLSS performance - Mid 110s
DLSS Ultra performance - Mid 130s. Awful rain lighting

The same tests without RT gave me this:

DLSS Quality - Mid 130s
DLSS Performance - More or less locked 140 (bouncing against refresh limit)
DLSS Ultra performance - Stuck at around 125, which seemed odd. Rain and rain refkections looked awful, little spots of random light everywhere, tarmac, ground... Just really bad.
TAA Only - Around 100.

Its a game where RT looks good in motion, but as previously noted probably the least useful RT in game. Looks great for benchmarking, but ultimately will not really draw the eye when you're actually racing. DLSS is a big aid here, but don't use ultra performance in the wet unless you like the impression that an over enthusiastic DJ is in charge of lighting.

FSR tests, RT on:

FSR quality - Around 90fps
FSR performance - Around 115fps
FSR ultra performance - Around 130fps

FSR tests, RT off

FSR quality - Locked 140, refresh limit
FSR performance - locked 140, refresh limit
FSR ultra performance - Locked 140, refresh limit

On the whole FSR (except ultra performance) doesn't do a bad job, and for this game I'd definitely be using it for increased framerate if necessary, but there are a few points even on quality settings such as water spray coming off rear wheels doesn't look right, and sometimes (not always) fences are just smears as they go past.

FSR ultra performance looks terrible, almost as if no upscaling has actually taken place (exaggeration, but still...). No definition on anything in motion at all. I would easily be turning other settings down or off before resorting to this. Same caveat as DLSS above though, meant for making 8k playable.

In summary, Ray tracing at a high level does improve visuals in this, no question to me. But unless you have a high end gpu, the upscaling is more important. Both options work here, and I would favour DLSS, but FSR is fine as long as you go no lower than balanced. Performance does work, but you really start to see the difference here.

Got around to trying f1 22 out and looks absolutely stunning the RT, even in motion with the RT reflections, was also surprisingly impressed with the shadows too but as noted I'm just playing for the casual fun side, not serious into it.

Performance is flawless as well, all max and dlss on quality is around 80-110 fps @ 3440x1440

Associate
@Nexus18 Would you be able to try dlss at ultra performance to see if you get the same random light show as an approximation for rain splashing? It was awful. But it's meant to upscale to 8k, so wondering if it would still look crap there.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yup because they are struggling so bad aren't they....

TzF5eBo.png

Come on tommy, thought you would have learnt by now where, when and how you encounter some actual proper vram issues :D

@TNA

Have you tried this with your measly 8GB 3070 yet? :cry:
I do have it installed. Not tried it with DLSS yet though.

I had optimised my settings before and it was running perfectly fine.

Caporegime
@Nexus18 Would you be able to try dlss at ultra performance to see if you get the same random light show as an approximation for rain splashing? It was awful. But it's meant to upscale to 8k, so wondering if it would still look crap there.

Yup will give it a shot. Might upload benchmark videos too.

I do have it installed. Not tried it with DLSS yet though.

I had optimised my settings before and it was running perfectly fine.

Likewise, played on my 3080 at both 4k and 3440x1440 and had no issues with vram. Seems tommy having some system issues again, should really just move to console :p :cry:

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
  • Ongoing performance optimization work including fixes for several memory leaks

So in other words, developers have acknowledged there is memory leaks i.e. "bugs" hence the use of the word "fixes", but you're putting that down to not having enough vram? Sounds familiar eh @TNA :cry:

Either way, played it ages ago and didn't encounter any performance issues because of "vram" as shown by other sources above.

You got some footage showing your issues with the settings you're using?

@Bill Turnip

Uploading YT videos now, same map and wet conditions, probably be later on when they have processed.

Screenshots of my perf, dlss quality, native (TAA with FX sharpening) and dlss UP:

zUvTryt.png

3dKDwtR.png

W9fNXN6.png

But yes, generally upscaling tech. works better with higher resolutions so imagine ultra performance would look quite a bit better with say 8k. What you could always try is using DLDSR in combo with dlss, it works extremely well.

One thing which I am unsure of are the shadow, AO settings as technically when RT ones are enabled, the standard settings should grey out/disable, at least that is what has happened in other games. So not sure if any point having shadows and AO normal options turned on? Unless there is a combo of raster and RT happening at same time....

EDIT:

@Bill Turnip

YT videos processed now:

Last edited:
Associate
@Nexus18 thanks for that, pretty much in line with my experience as well, great looking game that needs DLSS to keep at its peak.

I'll try and work out how to do a recording (never done one before) for ultra performance dlss and fsr to show the difference. DLSS is a random light show, and fsr is teletext.

Caporegime
@Nexus18 thanks for that, pretty much in line with my experience as well, great looking game that needs DLSS to keep at its peak.

I'll try and work out how to do a recording (never done one before) for ultra performance dlss and fsr to show the difference. DLSS is a random light show, and fsr is teletext.
Very easy with nvidia and geforce, just hit alt z and start recording. Get great quality too with little perf. loss.

I'll get a FSR one up tomorrow but wasn't impressed when I tried it, noticeable loss in clarity and issues you mentioned. Suspect it is only a matter of time till the community inject fsr 2 though, which will be much better.

Associate
Hopefully, not used fsr 2 yet, but like I mentioned before I'd be reducing other settings before using fsr 1 at a level lower than quality.

I maintain that I don't notice Ray tracing particularly in game, however. In benchmarks yes, but actually playing? Like i said, it's the type of game that almost benefits the least.

Lovely.option to have though!

Soldato
Any tips on what settings you tweak to get the image looking "right' on Nvidia cards? I've enabled the full range of colours on my 3060Ti but the desktop still looks a little muted and softer than my AMD output. I'm not talking much but having stared at the screen for 8hrs+ every day (used for work) you do notice any difference.

Associate
Do you use hdr? Especially in game, you can be playing for half an hour, then all of a sudden it just starts working. Other than that I didn't do anything to my card, but I didn't come from an AMD card, so have no difference to notice.

Any monitor settings changed? I once noticed that my screen was ridiculously bright and couldn't work out why until I went to change monitor settings for a game, and realised it was still set to what I call "full zing".

Soldato
Do you use hdr? Especially in game, you can be playing for half an hour, then all of a sudden it just starts working. Other than that I didn't do anything to my card, but I didn't come from an AMD card, so have no difference to notice.

Any monitor settings changed? I once noticed that my screen was ridiculously bright and couldn't work out why until I went to change monitor settings for a game, and realised it was still set to what I call "full zing".
I'll have a look, I haven't changed any monitor settings. The monitor does HDR 400 but that's not really HDR. The next upgrade will be saving for an OLED monitor.

Back
Top Bottom