• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
what waiting for the worst rumour site to take hearsay from this forum and post it as gospel?
Looks like we could be waiting a bit longer for AIB cards http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-vega-custom-cards-come-late-november/
'AMD RX Vega Custom Cards Could Come As Late As November'
http://www.hardware.fr/news/15240/quand-rx-vega-custom-octobre.html
translated: 'Finally the last one told us not yet have the dates of deliveries of the chips, and do not think a launch is possible ... before mid-October!'

Associate
Well I'm glad I got the 56 then, and your right to many have trashed on it which makes you uneasy about it and thats why I haven't installed it yet contemplating whether to return it or not, but now I'm starting to think its a cracking little card especially now when you have the ability to flash it.
Stick with it, flash it, overclock it and undervolt it. Then smirk watching 1080Aibs with similar performance and much higher cost **** off the vega64s while you stroke your ego powered by a 56 :p:p

Soldato
If its for a client I would not assume their cooling would justify the flash unless its put on water. It allows higher voltage I think is the main change, someone labelled it unlocking but its not. Whats the % gain from oc 56 to flashed bios, obviously the overclocker type users will appreciate it but not sure its worth otherwise

Soldato
Which way should the bios switch be switched? Towards the backplate for best performance?

Fitted mine and reverted whole system to aircooling just incase my card goes faulty. Got the waterblock already though. Had to return my R7 1700 to stock speeds while aircooled so that's taken the edge of my system but 3dmark at least has improved massively.

Will post pics soon :)

Undecided if I should change my radiator when I rebuild, at the moment I use an alphacool monsta 280mm but at 80mm thick the fans have issues with pushing air through it. Shame my case doesn't support 420mm rad at the front really. Other option is a 360 rad but I have a thing for 140mm fans lol.

Last edited:
Associate
Bought another Vega 56 but this time the PowerColor one.

Sapphire

HBM= 925mhz max
Undervolted to 990/1000 with default frequencies and on benchmarks it peaks at 1500mhz

PowerColor

HBM= 950mhz it might do more but haven’t tested higher
Undervolted to 990/1000 with default frequencies and on benchmarks it peaks at 1535mhz

Going to sell the Sapphire and keep the PowerColor :)

Associate
Bought another Vega 56 but this time the PowerColor one.

Sapphire

HBM= 925mhz max
Undervolted to 990/1000 with default frequencies and on benchmarks it peaks at 1500mhz

PowerColor

HBM= 950mhz it might do more but haven’t tested higher
Undervolted to 990/1000 with default frequencies and on benchmarks it peaks at 1535mhz

Going to sell the Sapphire and keep the PowerColor :)

I got the powercolor one too, so thats good to know because I was getting bit anxious to why the sapphire cards were going quick and the powerc cards were being left alone.

Soldato
Sapphire cards sold faster cos they were a tenner cheaper. Both are reference design and built by AMD. You just pay £10 more for a PowerColor box. It's all down to silicon lottery

For a couple of weeks they are the same price now. When they both got restocked on Monday, the sapphire card was sold out in 24h whereas powercolor still has 10+ in stock, even though the cards are identical. Would be interesting to find out why this is the case, perhaps Sapphire has much better customer service reputation?

Associate
Sapphire cards sold faster cos they were a tenner cheaper. Both are reference design and built by AMD. You just pay £10 more for a PowerColor box. It's all down to silicon lottery
Sapphire & Powercolor made neither of those cards. They slapped a sticker on them, flashed a BIOS and shoved them in a box. If one does better than the other it's down to the silicon lottery.

Are you sure about that?

Associate
For a couple of weeks they are the same price now. When they both got restocked on Monday, the sapphire card was sold out in 24h whereas powercolor still has 10+ in stock, even though the cards are identical. Would be interesting to find out why this is the case, perhaps Sapphire has much better customer service reputation?

That's what I thought as well, I hope powercolor are good with after sales!

Back
Top Bottom