• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
Yes, There are 2 switches on the side of the PCB, Looking at the card with backplate top you want to flick the switch on the right, The one on the left is the Normal/Silent bios switch, HTH :)

Soldato
@Tiny Clanger I'm in a very similar, if not the same, boat as you. My "cheap" upgrade is turning out to be more than I probably would've bothered spending if I'd have known.

I too have bought a new PSU, which I've only just gotten around to fitting. Running old system (inc. Fury X) with that for a day or two and will then try the Vega 56 again.

Soldato
Been testing my GPU overclock and sometime i can crash to desktop, what kind of instability is this most indicative of, GPU or memory?

If everything was fine before fitting the new GPU it will be either power / psu or overclocking Gpu too far normally. Less often drivers or bios update. I found with mine taking the Gpu memory speed too far made bf v crash to desktop, temp etc. are fine.

Soldato
Hi guys , I have a screenshot of my wattman settings, I hope i've done it right. It's a Sapphire Pulse 56, psu is Antec Tru Gamer 750.

It sits at around 1640mhz in gaming and is rock solid but occasionally on 2d desktop i'll get pink/red band of dots stretching from one side of the screen to the other, then it goes away when I do something like scroll the webpage.

Could my volts be too low?

https://imgur.com/a/i3MrFro

Soldato
Thanks guys, dropped to 900 and seems to be ok so far. I've been watching GPU Z and AMD performance monitoring and on full load this card seems to pulling <200w , is that right? Because that is amazing if true.

Associate
Absolutely, I had to keep checking my power measure plug to see total system under 300w.
So, now I'm a little bit confused:confused:. If the Vega 56 is drawing at most ~200W, or lets err on the side of caution and give it up to 300W, how much power does the rest of the PC require? I've not got a power measure plug so I don't know and can't measure what the total power draw on my PC is - but what I'm getting at is why is a 550W PSU not sufficient to support this?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
So, now I'm a little bit confused:confused:. If the Vega 56 is drawing at most ~200W, or lets err on the side of caution and give it up to 300W, how much power does the rest of the PC require? I've not got a power measure plug so I don't know and can't measure what the total power draw on my PC is - but what I'm getting at is why is a 550W PSU not sufficient to support this?

Well you dont want to be running it flat out max so you at most want it running about 80% of its capacity. So to simplify it with a 1000w PSU that's giving you a ceiling of 800w to get up to. They degrade over time so if your a heavy user expect the components to eventually give up the ghost but most good brands give long warranty and most of my PSUs over the years have gone beyond the warranty period.

Depends on what you have making up the machine, hard disks, RAM, fans etc all use something and if your overclocking factor that in too. Basically if I made no effort to save power or undervolt stuff this system would be pulling near double that amount, but my 750w would still handle it ok.

Soldato
Have checked a few reviews for the PSU needed for the vega64/56 they recommend a-

This is Guru3D's generic power supply recommendation for the series:

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

Nearly all reviews use a test bench for testing components and use top end PSU say 1000w never the one recommended for the average PC say a 500w PSU for a vega56.

Right l went from a HX850w PSU> EVGA Gold1000w bought a second hand Enermax 1350w Platinum 2yrs back which runs the V56 now.

If l build a gaming rig for some one l always put in a Gold 750w PSU at least, as it more cost effective, more efficient and in most case's will not have to be upgraded running a single top end GPU and components also allowing for overclocking.

How many times have you read in this forum were members have built a new rig and had to buy a more powerful PSU to run their rig.

As depending on what GPU they use say a vega56 and number of components the build has a 500w/550w PSU might not be powerful enough to run it, **if they are also OVERCLOCKING both CPU and GPU as well.**

Soldato
Thanks will try 925 :) Chill function? What does that do exactly?

I think i tried it once and it just made my frame rate drop really low on occasions.

Your frames drop when you don't need to have a high frame rate. Like if you're standing looking at the sky in a game. The frames boost up again when needed so you always maintain a min (for me anyway) 70fps. For footy manager type games I only need 30FPS max so in the Adrenaline settings for that particular game (FM2017) I can set the max FPS to 30 and min fps to 25 and my power draw from the GPU is very low which stops the fans going hard on my reference 56.

The Chill option is really for power draw. Your draw can be cut by 100W at times when gaming which keeps your card cool, without losing FPS ingaming.

Check out youtube for a few Chill videos. AdoredTV did a good one with a Chill tutorial which is worth a watch to get the jist of how Chill works.

I have it set up for all my games.

Back
Top Bottom