• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
Mining works by achieving the lowest wattage possible, you couldnt run a game on the settings they use because it'd be completely unstable. But also the volts are low, heat generally also as its not even in a case so I think only the fan is getting worn imo

I wonder if AMD brings out some revision to Vega without hbm2 it might accidentally not work as well for mining so opening up prices for people to get at more reasonable rates. Last I read miners prefer 480 and rx580 to vega, they just run more of them.

If I was buying now I'd not want to bother at 600. My plan would be to sell my entire current rig then buy in a whole system including vega and theres a far better chance it'd be a good buy overall. Not sure if that is the case or not but seems a good excuse to go that route. Long term theres deep learning in the market also so it seems this diversion of gfx isnt going away

Associate
need help with some tweaks for vega 64 in cfx on win 7 driver 17.12.2...
2 amd processes are running in the background 1) amd external events client module 2) amd external events service module.
if i disable them.. the clocks dont revert to idle state at desktop..

curious to know if these processes affect wattman/chill/frtc settings?

greatly appreciate if someone can reproduce this on a newer driver..

Associate
need help with some tweaks for vega 64 in cfx on win 7 driver 17.12.2...
2 amd processes are running in the background 1) amd external events client module 2) amd external events service module.
if i disable them.. the clocks dont revert to idle state at desktop..

curious to know if these processes affect wattman/chill/frtc settings?

greatly appreciate if someone can reproduce this on a newer driver..

anyone? thanks!

Caporegime
PowerColor Radeon RX Vega Red Dragon pictured

Power_Color-_RX-_Vega-_Red-_Dragon-1000x770.jpg

https://videocardz.com/newz/powercolor-radeon-rx-vega-red-dragon-pictured

Soldato
could it be a fuse gone in the plug which failed and then tripped the whole system?
Do you have a spare PSU kettle lead?
I am at work so I'm just sat here thinking about it constantly, i hope to lord its just the fuse in the power lead, not the psu, and certainly not the motherboard.
Could it be that simple to trip the entire house, just the plug fuse?

Soldato
I am at work so I'm just sat here thinking about it constantly, i hope to lord its just the fuse in the power lead, not the psu, and certainly not the motherboard.
I'm not an expert, I don't even know if it's possible to trip 2 fuses. I was just trying to think of the simplest/easiest thing to try.

Did you have chance to look inside and see if there were any obvious signs of damage?

Soldato
I'm not an expert, I don't even know if it's possible to trip 2 fuses. I was just trying to think of the simplest/easiest thing to try.

Did you have chance to look inside and see if there were any obvious signs of damage?
I had a little sniff and couldn't smell any electric burn. I guess i just have to wait till I am home and pray it's just the plug, coz if its not, I will buy a psu, and maybe discover that its the motherboard and be faced with that nightmare and have bought a psu for nothing...
Thanks for your thoughts though my friend

Associate

I assume you've checked that the power outlet itself is actually working; then check the fuse in the plug if you can (or substitute a spare power cable); then check whether the PSU itself is working - you get the idea.

If the fuse in the plug has blown, it's a victim (sacrificing itself to protect you/your equipment!) and not the root cause; if a fuse keeps blowing, then (assuming the correct value fuse is used!) the real fault lies elsewhere.

If that fuse is OK, it's possible that something in your PSU that's failed; this can happen with a power surge (or the cumulative effect of many over time); if you are lucky you'll be able to borrow a PSU from a friend to test. It's possible to test the PSU without the motherboard (but with fans/HDDs connected) too - see https://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/22 for example for the pins to short to "jump start" the PSU.

Soldato
I assume you've checked that the power outlet itself is actually working; then check the fuse in the plug if you can (or substitute a spare power cable); then check whether the PSU itself is working - you get the idea.

If the fuse in the plug has blown, it's a victim (sacrificing itself to protect you/your equipment!) and not the root cause; if a fuse keeps blowing, then (assuming the correct value fuse is used!) the real fault lies elsewhere.

If that fuse is OK, it's possible that something in your PSU that's failed; this can happen with a power surge (or the cumulative effect of many over time); if you are lucky you'll be able to borrow a PSU from a friend to test. It's possible to test the PSU without the motherboard (but with fans/HDDs connected) too - see https://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/22 for example for the pins to short to "jump start" the PSU.
That is very good advice thank you, i was wondering how to test a psu without having to unravelled my painstaking cable management and re do it every time
The plug and fuse were fine the psu had popped, it was over 2 1/2 years old and i guess the efficiency had reduced to such a low that a max power draw on it made it cry and die.

My question is... i'm going to buy a new PSU in about 2 hours after work (because my day off tomorrow and no way im not having a pc)
Does it need to have more than one rail for a vega?
I'm going for a corsair cx750m bronze as its the only one in any of the local shops that is half way decent. But it has a single rail, can someone please let me know if this will be ok for a week or so for my regular gaming/mining until i get a 1000w gold?

Thank you in advance for the help.

i5 6600k
vega 56 (64 bios)
16gb 2666 ram
1 hdd
1 ssd
liquid cooled gpu closed loop
liquid cooled cpu closed loop
For power purposes.

Soldato
No. In fact it's better to use a single-rail design as you don't have to worry about which PSU outputs/cables to use to load the rails optimally. Specs-wise that Corsair ought to be fine.

Out of interest, what was your old PSU?
It was a ********.co.uk own brand psu 700w semi mod, it did well considering i was running 64 liquid bios and massive overclocks a few months back, and mining every night 12 hours.

Back
Top Bottom