• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
Gents the waterblock is shipped today from Bykski. Apparently they are custom made on order and given the price (£80) I shouldn't complain about the manufacturing delay been 4 days.
I will let you know how it goes. :)

Btw another thing I found another thing great with the Nitro+. If you just keep the Turbo on, (no other changes) it takes half way the Time Spy for the fans to spin.
When you overclock (but not downvolt) to 1742 core, it will start spinning only during Graphic Test 2 where it will hit 54C.

I am truly impressed must stay for the cooler ability to keep the card cool by using the case airflow, even after long sessions of playing WOT & WoWs.
The fans are starting only when I play more tough games like FC5 and The Division.

In addition, when watching videos or working, the card is very cool on touch. The 1080Ti was warm.

Associate
What price would you guys consider is worth pulling the trigger on buying a new Vega 64? Would be upgrading from a R9 390.
I have a evga G2 650w PSU which I think should be enough, as what I've seen the power drawer on a Vega 64 is similar to the R9 390. Prices seem to be dropping, but I don't want to massively overpay if there's a good chance they'll fall more.

Associate
Ahhh I’ve been saving for so long for a new GPU, and I finailly have the money for a new one and can afford a vega64 or a 1080... I have no idea what to do, buy AMD, NVIDIA or wait..I primarily play VR now, but I also game on my 1080p 60hz TV, but that will replaced next year, not sure if I want a 4K TV to game at 4K, or get a freesync enabled TV and game at 1080p/1440p 120hz yet..

What would you guys do? Would you buy a vega64 again? I currently have an r9-290 which is still performing just fine, even in VR. But I have that pesky uprade itch that needs scratching...

Soldato
Ahhh I’ve been saving for so long for a new GPU, and I finailly have the money for a new one and can afford a vega64 or a 1080... I have no idea what to do, buy AMD, NVIDIA or wait..I primarily play VR now, but I also game on my 1080p 60hz TV, but that will replaced next year, not sure if I want a 4K TV to game at 4K, or get a freesync enabled TV and game at 1080p/1440p 120hz yet..

What would you guys do? Would you buy a vega64 again? I currently have an r9-290 which is still performing just fine, even in VR. But I have that pesky uprade itch that needs scratching...

I went from a 290 to Vega 64 and the upgrade was excellent the performance gain is night and day.
I can't speak about VR never used it yet but if you doing well with a 290 I don't see why a Vega 64 wouldn't be better.
In terms of performance vs 1080 they very much even grounds depending on what game you view.
Add in the much better Radeon drivers, plus Freesync bias aside I would still pick Vega 64 over 1080.

Soldato
What price would you guys consider is worth pulling the trigger on buying a new Vega 64? Would be upgrading from a R9 390.
I have a evga G2 650w PSU which I think should be enough, as what I've seen the power drawer on a Vega 64 is similar to the R9 390. Prices seem to be dropping, but I don't want to massively overpay if there's a good chance they'll fall more.

I paid 470 for a reference design. I wouldn't pay more than 500 for any GPU.
The upgrade from a 390 though performance wise will be excellent though.

Soldato

£500-530 imho. However still the prices are pretty high.

Soldato

I moved from 1080Ti to Vega 64. Ain't going to look back. First of all the graphics are better. And I mean trees and bushes are more rich and not barren.
VR don't feeling any difference at least on Elite Dangerous and Subnautica which are the only titles I play with the headset.
As for TV the 55NU8000 with Freesync at 4k is amazing especially when playing games with the pad like Fallout 4 (yeah just started that).

Associate
I moved from 1080Ti to Vega 64. Ain't going to look back. First of all the graphics are better. And I mean trees and bushes are more rich and not barren.
VR don't feeling any difference at least on Elite Dangerous and Subnautica which are the only titles I play with the headset.
As for TV the 55NU8000 with Freesync at 4k is amazing especially when playing games with the pad like Fallout 4 (yeah just started that).
Thank you very much, I’ll ha e a look at the TV, sadly the Vega GPU I was looking at is ‘just’ too long for my needs (minititx build, the GPU I have blocks the HDD cage) so i would like a like a smaller one

Soldato

I'm doing the same, but thrown about 70 mods at it, game is night and day compared to vanilla. Not just graphically, but content as well. Get SIM settlements 3in1 which includes rise of the commonwealth and industrial revolution. Loving the game again.

Soldato
I have cured coil whine for years after a month of heavy use on cards like GTX780, 7950, 295X2 (that took a week), GTX1080, GTX1080Ti, Fury Nano, FuryX.
However first time observed the following now with the Vega 64 Nitro+ (could apply to previous cards but just tested it).

If I run a game at resolution bellow 1920x1080 there is no coil whine. After that the higher the resolution the higher the coil whine.
Personally finding this interesting matter that need to explore more.
As for the coil whine, two weeks I have the card is gone down by half, and didn't bother me even from the first moment.
Is well bellow the speakers loudness, and I do use open case. If I had closed case wouldn't be able to hear anything (or had some louder fans and not almost silent system). Same applies to distance. In the bedroom when I am 3m away from the system, cannot hear anything.

I bet in a week or so everything will be silent. Also is matter of screw tightening. I know for a fact that after losing the screws a bit on the GTX1080 & 1080Ti solved the issue. (both had horrendous coil whine).

Just food for thought, and is not a complaining post.
@LtMatt thoughts?

Soldato
I'm looking to upgrade my monitor to a 27" 1440p (possible 3440x1440).

I currently have an rx480 but am looking to upgrade later in the year. I understand I will have to drop settings massively to run it at 1440p for now, that's fine.

My real question is, will a rx64 have any problems maxing games at the above res? I'm going to invest in freesync or gsync for future proofing. Going down the nvidia route will be a lot more expensive but potentially could be more future proof.

My plan is to wait for the rx64 refresh which looks to be coming at the end of this month/next month but I would want to pick up a monitor before getting a new gfx card.

Caporegime
RX Vega 64 is a great match for 3440. I've got two Vegas, one running a 4K display and one running a 3440 display and both cope admirably with each. You'll be maxing out games at 3440 easily.

Soldato
RX Vega 64 is a great match for 3440. I've got two Vegas, one running a 4K display and one running a 3440 display and both cope admirably with each. You'll be maxing out games at 3440 easily.

Yeah waiting for the Nano IPS 34" LG for this. But Vega 64 is not bad on 4K either. At the Freesync TV is averaging 55-60fps. Which is the maximum refresh rate either way.

Soldato
Btw something strike me last night. I was playing EUIV last night and checked how much power the Vega 64 was using.
75W!!!!!!!!!!!!! The GTX1080Ti was burning 330W boosting the clock trying to break the FPS vsync cap (which is not working on EUIV apparently) for no reason -_-

Either that or Aorus Xtreme has some issue cutting down the power.

Soldato
Btw something strike me last night. I was playing EUIV last night and checked how much power the Vega 64 was using.
75W!!!!!!!!!!!!! The GTX1080Ti was burning 330W boosting the clock trying to break the FPS vsync cap (which is not working on EUIV apparently) for no reason -_-

Either that or Aorus Xtreme has some issue cutting down the power.

330w??? I've never seen my card use more than 280w and thats with quite aggressive overclock. I thought the 1080ti used way less power than the RX Vega cards.

Back
Top Bottom