• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
1200HBM!!!! Wow :eek:

However seems your core is throttling operating well bellow the 1700 mark. Have you considered to lower the voltage to 1150mv, 1714 core and 50% PL?
I bet with your CPU you will go over 27000 there.

Can you provide us with your soft table settings please to give them a try also?

Will play more upcoming days to see how much i can get out of this :)
Didnt undervolt to much, but will give it try. Games are running fine with P7@ 1712mhz and 1170mv. or P7@ 1732Mhz and 1210mv.

But this thing is really hungry :p

Anyways.. will keep you guys updated!

Sure...Download link for PP table: https://files.fm/u/puzubdxa

Man of Honour
OP
28.092 for FS is a great score!

My best score before i changed the loop direction + thermal pads + Tim was: 26.866
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/16136764

Didnt play that much, need to find the the best setting for benching.

Just ran a heaven bench right now. Never runned heaven for benchmarking. Mostly just to test my settings. Dont know if the score is oke or not?

nG9Sghl.jpg

Vega 64 WC, LC bios with PP 150%

You need to run Extreme Tessellation and also 8xMSAA if you want to compare to the results in the bench thread. Most people also tend to use 1080p for testing.:)

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/unigine-heaven-4-benchmark.18487976/

Soldato
Just curious but does anyone know why for Vega 64 a 750W PSU is recommended at minimum when a system running a Vega 64 altogether pulls around 450W at most ? I would have thought a 650W PSU would be enough considering you'd still have 200W of headroom.

Soldato
Just curious but does anyone know why for Vega 64 a 750W PSU is recommended at minimum when a system running a Vega 64 altogether pulls around 450W at most ? I would have thought a 650W PSU would be enough considering you'd still have 200W of headroom.

Depends your PSU. If is "cheap" ones, yes 750W is mandatory because you do not expect AMD stating "750W or if you have good one 600W is OK".
Most believe even in here that their PSU is "good one". See how many bought the Red Devil last month thinking that it will work, and had to replace PSUs because theirs were some multirail crap.

Soldato
@Panos sorry mate, fell asleep with IPad in bed last night :p

Still no news? Where is this guy posting this close 29k run? I thought 28k was an unreachable target just because you’d need more than 1750/1175 or there about to get it done. I personally think around that number is about the limit before the card starts to give you diminishing returns when benching as you are generally right at the ceiling. But 29k you’d definitely need a card that would stick around 1800/1250 for the entire bench surely. That is seriously high, massively high for Vega, a one of a kind golden sample for sure.

@TonyTurbo78 mate we need to find some 7980Xs, delid them and OC to 4.9Ghz. :p
We can beat then Kaaps benchmarks :D

And yeah, his overall is boosted hugely by that CPU, I still think Firestrike as a graphic test should be ranked as graphic score alone not an overall but hey ho.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Panos sorry mate, fell asleep with IPad in bed last night :p

Still no news? Where is this guy posting this close 29k run? I thought 28k was an unreachable target just because you’d need more than 1750/1175 or there about to get it done. I personally think around that number is about the limit before the card starts to give you diminishing returns when benching as you are generally right at the ceiling. But 29k you’d definitely need a card that would stick around 1800/1250 for the entire bench surely. That is seriously high, massively high for Vega, a one of a kind golden sample for sure.

Posted above the 28092 score from someone else, however the guy hasn't replied -_-
Probably he is full of BS. :( Last post of him was that he was using the LC 264W bios.

Soldato
Dismiss him. He said made a mistake.
So the best we have is the post on the previous page with 28092. :/
At least it has the settings. I will try them next week as I am off back to Bristol right now.

Yep exactly what I was expecting, there is no way a Vega 64 is a 29k capable card (or close to it)

28k is a massive achievement though, I didn’t think that would even be possible. Hell, we are both struggling to get it past 27k and that’s with exceptional cooling and very high clocks.

Soldato
Yep exactly what I was expecting, there is no way a Vega 64 is a 29k capable card (or close to it)

28k is a massive achievement though, I didn’t think that would even be possible. Hell, we are both struggling to get it past 27k and that’s with exceptional cooling and very high clocks.

I know, and with just Wattman cannot go over 1727 personally.
Btw talking about cooling. Had some runs last night with the Predator at normal operating 50% fan speed. It made no difference with the performance of the card if it was at 100% or 50% (which is quiet).
Temps were 5C higher (25C tops) but nothing else was affected.

Which is peculiar. To hit 2190 with the GTX1080 under water I had to run it at 100% fan speed, anything less and the performance was going to 2150 because temps were going at mid 40s.

Also peculiar. The Vega 64 @ 1704core with 1100HBM at 300W is running 20C cooler at 50% fan speed, than the GTX1080 at 2164/2190 at 100% fan speed.
Same Predator 360, same case and layout, and more power hungry CPU now.

And the Vega overall performance is 10% higher than the 1080 @ 2164/2190 (temp depending) one.

And shows how strong the IPC on the Vega is also.

Have to add once more, as overclocking enthusiast, found the Vega 64 more interesting and fun card than the GTX1080Ti.

Last edited:
Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Thinking of sticking a MORPHEUS II cooler on my card with some meaty fans. After some extensive testing I've come to the conclusion the stock cooler just isn't cutting it e.g I get almost 1000points less in superposition compared to some of the other vega scores.
I have tried every setting imaginable and noticed annoying little things like increasing power consumption too much causes more thermal throttling after 15%. The best result in this benchmark was I have got was to leave core settings alone, put -15power and max out the memory overclock and fan speed but it's still not enough.

Ironically because it's getting colder outside my girlfriend has the heating up more and it's making it worse for me haha. Even max fan speed with low volts and it still rolls back to 1300mhs during the test at times. Not uplifting since I just got into VR gaming and I want to make sure the card is performing at it's best for all the games I want to play. Regular games it's actually ok I could get 1500-1550 in Doom but only at 1080p, the clocks start to drop again if I go for 1440p and then even more at 4k...

Anyway this cooler seems to be the dogs danglies on converting reference vega 64. Maybe also put the LC bios on to test it and I should be able to join you guys at 1600mhz+.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thinking of sticking a MORPHEUS II cooler on my card with some meaty fans. After some extensive testing I've come to the conclusion the stock cooler just isn't cutting it e.g I get almost 1000points less in superposition compared to some of the other vega scores.
I have tried every setting imaginable and noticed annoying little things like increasing power consumption too much causes more thermal throttling after 15%. The best result in this benchmark was I have got was to leave core settings alone, put -15power and max out the memory overclock and fan speed but it's still not enough.

Ironically because it's getting colder outside my girlfriend has the heating up more and it's making it worse for me haha. Even max fan speed with low volts and it still rolls back to 1300mhs during the test at times. Not uplifting since I just got into VR gaming and I want to make sure the card is performing at it's best for all the games I want to play. Regular games it's actually ok I could get 1500-1550 in Doom but only at 1080p, the clocks start to drop again if I go for 1440p and then even more at 4k...

Anyway this cooler seems to be the dogs danglies on converting reference vega 64. Maybe also put the LC bios on to test it and I should be able to join you guys at 1600mhz+.

Have you considered to buy an EK MLC, and a prefilled block?
I bought back in 2016 a Predator 360 and was the best investment made on my PC ever.

I have replaced three sockets, have fitted monoblocks also, and three graphic cards of which the last (nitro) with third party waterblock using the fittings from the gtx1080 prefilled waterblock.

It has all the benefits of custom water cooling but none of the hassles

Soldato
Depends your PSU. If is "cheap" ones, yes 750W is mandatory because you do not expect AMD stating "750W or if you have good one 600W is OK".
Most believe even in here that their PSU is "good one". See how many bought the Red Devil last month thinking that it will work, and had to replace PSUs because theirs were some multirail crap.
Also not to forget that the older AMD FX8000 and Intel's 6 cores 12 threads CPUs that are power-hungry AF up to 250W+ when overclocked, despite vast majority of us are using mainstream Intel i5/i7 CPUs don't tends to break the 100W barrier even after overclock.

Soldato
Also peculiar. The Vega 64 @ 1704core with 1100HBM at 300W is running 20C cooler at 50% fan speed, than the GTX1080 at 2164/2190 at 100% fan speed.
Same Predator 360, same case and layout, and more power hungry CPU now.
What voltage and power limited settings are you on for this clock?

I been playing around with overclocking as well, and at the moment the highest overclock I seem to be able to keep it stable without black screen crash (only playing Monster Hunter World at the moment) is at 1704 core on 1175mv and power limited on +50%. Memory clock I left it at 1000MHz for now.

The overclocked Vega64 is definitely not enough for 4K for MHW max setting for 60fps, but it's doing surprising well for my 3200x1800 res on my 4K Samsung TV. I am managing get around 50fps+ with only the shadow details dropped to medium.

Permabanned
I’m sure you’ve done hours of testing so you’re probably in a better position to know the answer to that than me. All our cards are different, they all react differently depending on temps so I’d say if it’s working good and you’re happy then leave it.

If you’re bored or wanna tweak though, you could run an overlay when running fire strike in windowed, run the demo looped whilst clearly showing clock speed and voltages. Note the clock peak and wattage used, then maybe drop the p6 and p7 voltage to 1075 and 1100 (leaving frequency) respectively whilst keeping the +50PL. If you get similar peak clock frequency and it’s stable, you’ll undoubtably be running cooler and probably be only using about 250w. At the moment you must be busting well past 320w.

But you’ve probably tried all this Anyway so if it’s running great which it sounds like it is, leave it and enjoy gaming :D

I've been working on my settings over the weekend trying to get cooler & quieter 24/7 clocks, I was already happy with how the noise level had dropped from stock and now it's even better. You were right about the voltage, so far I've got it down to 1095 & 1125 on the core states so far, I'm going to see if I can get both under 1100 next without my real world in game clocks dropping below a 1600 mhz average.

Q1rli1O.png

Back
Top Bottom