• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Caporegime
@AMDMatt any known issues with voltages? if I set core to 1000mv the HBM clock seems to be bugged at 800mhz (and the temp sensor seems to say 1deg c)!

*edit* .. no idea how I broke the HBM but recalled you saying reset if that happens!

my card seems fine at 1537Mhz/1000mv at 1100HBM (stock voltage not sure if thats just mem controller like polaris or what)

pretty close to full power 1630Mhz on firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13423936

the core voltage required for higher clocks seems to be ridiculous...

Yes I'm aware of that one, we'll investigate.

For now just leave HBM voltage alone, it overclocks by 15-25% without any voltage increases.

Associate

Here are my current settings with a mem overclock of 1050 that seems to be working.

I just ran some Division benches:

DX11 - 1440 Ultra = 77fps
DX12 - 1440 Ultra = 87fps
DX12 - 1440 Ultra - SMAA Ultra - 80fps.

Ryzen 7 1700 at 3.875 and ram 3333 C14,14,14,14,32.

Associate
0.04 mm is 1.5 thousandths of an inch, precision machining parts are usually allowed 5 thousandths of an inch error

I doubt it matters much but according to hwinfo the HBM temp is nearly always higher than the core on my blower, will definitely give the HBM a good blob of TIM when changing the cooler!

Associate

For now just leave HBM voltage alone, it overclocks by 15-25% without any voltage increases.

Is there any word on fixing drivers for Fiji chips? Drivers later than the January WHQL do not allow application of HBM overclocks.

Associate

I think I found a bug.

if I set the Voltage control(mv) to any value my overclock works, clocks are stable, temps are stable, holds itself at 78c with mem set to 1070. It seems you can put any number in, it has no effect. I tried several numbers, 800 was lowest it would let me set it.

As soon as I set Voltage control(mv) to automatic and run a benchmark my temps shoot up above 85c and the card throttles.

Associate

to clarify I am not changing the HBM voltage; at 1537mhz core (so basically state 6 in state 7 too) I can set 1000mv, is this actually that low or is something broken again:confused:

Caporegime
Is there any word on fixing drivers for Fiji chips? Drivers later than the January WHQL do not allow application of HBM overclocks.
Sounds like third party tools broke with the introduction of Wattman. Sorry, but we are not going to fix that. Third party apps will need to be updated, HBM overclocking was never enabled in the driver.

Soldato
Just got email confirmation that my Sapphire Vega64 (Liquid Cooled) shipped, woot :) Glad I kept my preorder in, seems like a steal at £640!

Looking forward to join the club tomorow :cool:

Caporegime
Just got email confirmation that my Sapphire Vega64 (Liquid Cooled) shipped, woot :) Glad I kept my preorder in, seems like a steal at £640!

Assuming you get one that lasts, been 3 or 4 on here that seem to just randomly crash for some reason, all aio versions. :eek:

Associate

Nice! I placed an order for one on the 15th (sadly I was away for the launch itself) so hopefully I'll get one soon!

Associate
Sounds like third party tools broke with the introduction of Wattman. Sorry, but we are not going to fix that. Third party apps will need to be updated, HBM overclocking was never enabled in the driver.

No, that has been debunked by various OC tool developers. It's bugged / switched off at a driver level.

All the third party tools have updated their API paths since Wattman was introduced. Drivers continually break it (like the penultimate driver did to Fiji where GPU core clocks would stick at 300Mhz), but they continually update (as they have now done with the last bug).

They can't fix HBM overclocking because the driver refuses to apply it. This goes for BIOS mods which change the values and don't use 3rd party apps at all.

If this isn't fixed, then people will just wonder if the same thing is going to happen to Vega.

Have you actually enquired about it? I'm beginning to suspect that it was 'bugged' on purpose. Could be that it was to discourage miners from returning cards where they'd fried the HBM with 24/7 use and over ambitious overclocks.

That would not effect miners at all though, as they don't need the latest gaming drivers and all just use the last working driver from January.

Associate

I don't use any 3rd party app.

I don't use Wattman or OverDrive.

Any v17.x.x driver gains no performance with HBM clock increase via VBIOS. But v16.12.2 WHQL and earlier do.

In my Fiji bios mod thread on OCN there are several members which have same occurrence. On OCN several members in the Fiji owners club have same occurrence.

There have been several posts by members there where they get obscene HBM clocks on v17.x.x drivers and no gain. The moment they go to v16.12.2 WHQL they see those clocks not achievable but they get a performance gain.

As far as I and many OCN Fiji owners are concerned AMD have gimped Fiji driver from v17.x.x onwards.

Shame really. I have highlighted to you several times and mentioned your OCN username in posts to make you aware of situation.

Then there is the issue of SWBF, that mesh quality must be lowered on v17.x.x driver. Otherwise game artifacts. And it does this even on stock VBIOS, W7 and W10 clean installs. And as you are on AMD Community site and participating in thread there you'll already be aware it's not just a single Fiji owner with issue. v16.12.2 WHQL does not have this issue either, stock or OC, W7 or W10.

It seems to me AMD FineWine is getting corked these days :(.

Associate
I luv'd Hawaii, I owned 4 cards.

Fiji at first I was not gobsmacked, slowly slowly it really grew on me.

Buildzoid was interested in what bios mod could do for him on Fiji. As he had killed a Hawaii card trying to hard mod some elements, there is post on TPU/his site about it. So I really got the Fury to do mods as others who I highlighted info were not succeeding. Then it just grew on me.

I grabbed a Fury X next, on promo. Worked out cheaper than say value of Hawaii with WC block. I sold all Hawaii cards without loss, I went on to get another 7 Fury X and 2 Fury Nitro. On OCN there is thread about 'ASIC Quality' where I uploaded data, supporting info that The Stilt had given on Hawaii in this context.

Fiji IMO gained very little over the course of drivers. And now we are left with gimped drivers. In hindsight I should have ket Hawaii and gone WC.

I think AMD FineWine has been 'Hyped'. I never kept abreast of VR or have experienced it. I recall lots of threads/posts about a feature which eas supported on Polaris but not Fiji. Dunno if it got addressed. As a flagship card it really hasn't had much luv from AMD on driver front IMO.

I have waited for VEGA and pricing is deplorable IMO. I invested in FreeSync and now feel if I jump to nVidia I'll be seeing a double whammy on swap out.

For me real shame about AMD on GPU front for past few years as an enthusiast.

Caporegime
I don't use any 3rd party app.

I don't use Wattman or OverDrive.

Any v17.x.x driver gains no performance with HBM clock increase via VBIOS. But v16.12.2 WHQL and earlier do.

In my Fiji bios mod thread on OCN there are several members which have same occurrence. On OCN several members in the Fiji owners club have same occurrence.

There have been several posts by members there where they get obscene HBM clocks on v17.x.x drivers and no gain. The moment they go to v16.12.2 WHQL they see those clocks not achievable but they get a performance gain.

As far as I and many OCN Fiji owners are concerned AMD have gimped Fiji driver from v17.x.x onwards.

Shame really. I have highlighted to you several times and mentioned your OCN username in posts to make you aware of situation.

Then there is the issue of SWBF, that mesh quality must be lowered on v17.x.x driver. Otherwise game artifacts. And it does this even on stock VBIOS, W7 and W10 clean installs. And as you are on AMD Community site and participating in thread there you'll already be aware it's not just a single Fiji owner with issue. v16.12.2 WHQL does not have this issue either, stock or OC, W7 or W10.

It seems to me AMD FineWine is getting corked these days :(.

I don't often visit oc.net and if i do, i rarely login.

No performance increase from HBM would be expected, as it's not intended to be overclocked in the drivers. It may have been possible to do it via third party apps before, but that's not our job to fix it because it stopped working when using those apps.

We didn't intend for HBM to be overclockable on Fij, this functionality was never exposed in Overdrive/Wattman. Sorry nothing i can do here.

Associate
Matt did you miss the part where I said I don't use third party app?

I OC'd HBM using VBIOS. I can show you AIDA64 GPGPU and 3DM FS gaining performance with HBM clock increase on v16.12.2 WHQL (plus every earlier driver) and not on any v17.x.x driver.

This same method was how I proved to members that HBM1 clocked in steps. As many and indeed I contested this concept you posted originally on OCuk, Guru3D and other places.

Back
Top Bottom