• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
early revisions of the strix vega64 had pee poor thermal contact due to crappy thermal pads that were too thin. i believe they addressed this on later models though (or at least claimed/attempted to) @PeegeeTips - if you've not already done so, changing the thermal pads on the cooler might help with the crashing issue on your card.
Yeah did they not add an extra layer or something because it wasn’t making full contact in the first place? By all likelihood this could fix his problem.

Soldato
Yeah did they not add an extra layer or something because it wasn’t making full contact in the first place? By all likelihood this could fix his problem.
I believe so. Or they used thicker pads, can’t remember which. I know that as soon as I changed mine to the thicker thermal grizzly pads the temp difference was huge, can’t remember exactly but it was in the 10-15 degrees range at least. And more on the hotspot. Think it was at least 20 degrees lower.

Associate
I must be lucky, I've never had any problems with my Asus Vega 64 Strix. Driver updates are always OK too. @PeegeeTips wonder what is causing your constant crashing? Your rig looks decent. X570 mobo etc. I'm on the older 470 mobo. Is your RAM stable? What PSU do you have? I had black screens and crashing and it wasn't the GPU it was actually my old PSU. Stuck in a 1200W Seasonic and rig has been fine. Perhaps the crashing is another component? :(
Black screen, audio - if playing - will continue, system unresponsive, and gpu fans hit max. But it will happily stay in this state until manually power cycled.

Happened on my old system too - X99 / 5820k / 16GB PC2400, and across multiple driver instalations.
Old system had a 750W Silvertsone Gold - new system has 650W Seasonic Prime Plat - and old system is now working fine using my old MSI Lightning 7970.

early revisions of the strix vega64 had pee poor thermal contact due to crappy thermal pads that were too thin. i believe they addressed this on later models though (or at least claimed/attempted to) @PeegeeTips - if you've not already done so, changing the thermal pads on the cooler might help with the crashing issue on your card.

I ought to give it a try, but childish as it sounds I spent £550 on this card and the idea that I need to mod it to make it work reliably only makes me want to drop-kick it into a dumpster.

Soldato
I ought to give it a try, but childish as it sounds I spent £550 on this card and the idea that I need to mod it to make it work reliably only makes me want to drop-kick it into a dumpster.
Nothing childish about it. Only I knew I would eventually put a waterblock on mine it would have been going back. I’ve said this quite bit but pc enthusiasts only empower these manufacturers, this model should have been recalled when people started returning them ‘en mass’ but that’s not what happened (the returns) Instead we tweaked the cards, undervolted them etc to get them to work and the manufacturer got away with it. You say you don’t want to mod the card to get it to work reliably but you’ve already done that with the undervolt, it just so happens that mod is via software :p
The other option, if it’s within warranty then return it as it’s clearly faulty - which is really what we all should have done to begin with.

Associate
i'm doubtful it is the PSU in this case, as the same behaviour exhibits on two entirely different systems:
1. my old x99 with a 750w silverstone gold
2. my new x570 tomahawk with a 650w Seasonic Prime Platinum

and that old system continues to work fine with my old MSI Lightning 7970 card (which used a fair bit of power too!).

the vega64 was the only part carried across - because it cost a fortune and was only two years old. piece of cr@p.

Associate
it was a problem that only arose after about 18 months, and then it was an occasional problem that could have been attributed to any number of things on a 5y/o system.

it was only after two years that it became more frquent, and then continued on the new system. yay!

Soldato
it was a problem that only arose after about 18 months, and then it was an occasional problem that could have been attributed to any number of things on a 5y/o system.

it was only after two years that it became more frquent, and then continued on the new system. yay!
pretty sure there's a 3 year warranty on the strix - though good luck asus to honour it!

Soldato
Upgraded my reference vega 64 with a morpheus 2 yesterday and two big noctua fans, It was not for the fainted hearted and took most of the day! Very pleased with the result!

Three sweaty tshirts later, I now have a quiet card with great cooling.

Soldato
Upgraded my reference vega 64 with a morpheus 2 yesterday and two big noctua fans, It was not for the fainted hearted and took most of the day! Very pleased with the result!

a work colleague also went down this route, he said he regretted doing so as it was some task lol
in the end he sold it on and got a 5700XT red devil, so kudos to you on doing it!
have you done any undervolting/overclocking?

Soldato

Mine has the same cooler. Compared to the abomination that is the reference cooler it’s night and day. The clock speeds automatically increased and stay stable during gameplay. No longer any throttling.

Soldato
a work colleague also went down this route, he said he regretted doing so as it was some task lol
in the end he sold it on and got a 5700XT red devil, so kudos to you on doing it!
have you done any undervolting/overclocking?

No, I’ve just let it do its own thing really, on MS Flight Sim, on the setting below,ultra, something high? I’m getting temps of around 59 degrees steady, around 200w and 1442mhz clock. I might have switch set for the low power mode?

Back
Top Bottom