*** The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Thread ***

Associate
Using this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.vndnguyen.phoneinfo

One can only hope that it's doesn't have the issue.

Hmm. Mine was apparently made in Korea on 30.07. I really don't believe that it matters the location where they were assembled as they all may have received the same faulty battery batches. The location of where it was assembled =/= battery supplier.

This is especially true if you consider that Samsung did not provide any information about checks we could do in order to find this out and the fact they are recalling ALL of the devices that have been sold, even stock that is in transit - Except the ones from China, which are safe, as Samsung said.

In any case, we should play it safe and only charge it underwater :)

Last edited:
Associate
They are probably using common parts from the same factories, so if it's a fault with the battery, then it would stand to reason that it wouldn't matter where they were assembled.

You would like to think that they would be able to identify the batch of faulty batteries, although it is more likely that it effects all the batteries - it may just be a really low chance of the fault actually occuring otherwise I doubt they would recall every handset. If it wasn't so wide spread, surely they should be able to identify the phones with the faulty batch - unless their record keeping is a little lax?

I certainly wouldn't be happy to receive a "refurbished" device as a replacement, especially with the cost of the device in the first place. I also have a concern regarding the build quality of the replacements as they will most likely be rushed.

I really do like the device as, in my opinion, it is the best phone on the market (or it will be when it returns to sale again).

Associate
I certainly wouldn't be happy to receive a "refurbished" device as a replacement, especially with the cost of the device in the first place. I also have a concern regarding the build quality of the replacements as they will most likely be rushed.

This is a cause for concern, indeed - Not only that they may be rushed, but there would be no way of us knowing if the "new" device we'll be receiving will actually be a brand new phone, or a device from a stock that either hasn't been dispatched to a partner yet and had its battery replaced, or a refurbished, pre-owned device, with a new battery and some polish :)

Last edited:
Soldato
This is a cause for concern, indeed - Not only that they may be rushed, but there would be no way of us knowing if the "new" device we'll be receiving will actually be a brand new phone, or a device from a stock that either hasn't been dispatched to a partner yet and had its battery replaced, or a refurbished, pre-owned device, with a new battery and some polish :)

Obviously you can give it the once over, but if it looks new and feels new then does it really make any difference?

Soldato
who cares? they are all so new that you wont notice.

if samsung is simple going to take them all back, replace batteries then reseal and resell then what does it matter?

Associate
who cares? they are all so new that you wont notice.

if samsung is simple going to take them all back, replace batteries then reseal and resell then what does it matter?

If the phone has been opened and battery replaced, then there is a good chance that the water/dust proofing would be suspect in my eyes. Especially if the process is being rushed.

Plus, refurbished devices are generally 20% cheaper than new ones. Maybe it's just the principle, but I've paid top whack for a new one, and therefore it should be replaced with a new one...

Associate
It doesn't really matter if they will behave like brand new devices, but it was mostly a concern about their handling. The process of opening these devices and getting to the battery implies applying a significant amount of heat, dismantling, getting rid of all the previous sealing, cleaning and resealing them again afterwards. It's hardly the same process of brand new devices that never had to go through this.

Combine this with the fact that they will have to do this on about 2 million devices and we may have some mistakes here and there and who knows what might happen down the road, including its water resistance or glass properties.

Also we should not forget the premium price we paid for them which has to be matched by its quality.

All in all, I really love and enjoy the device and I will definitely swap it, but I was just stating a possible concern.

Last edited:
Soldato
Everyone who is returning put a special little mark somewhere on the back and we will make a data base of those marks and check if we get one back as supposedly new :p

Must admit tho I want a brand new manufactured device not a swapped battery

Noticed in the US they sell reconditioned S6's and S7's now via Samsung ..be a big market for Note 7's soon

Last edited:
Associate
But its not a new phone tho . I want a brand new shiny phone ;)

Exactly. We spend a small fortune on a premium device - there is no way they should hand out a used one, regardless of how much use the device has had.

I friend of mine got an S7 edge a few weeks ago and has had loads of issues with battery life and lag, and he was able to go in and swap the device there and then.

And yet we're expected to send ours off and be without a phone? It just stinks.

Associate
Everyone who is returning put a special little mark somewhere on the back and we will make a data base of those marks and check if we get one back as supposedly new :p

Must admit tho I want a brand new manufactured device not a swapped battery

Noticed in the US they sell reconditioned S6's and S7's now via Samsung ..be a big market for Note 7's soon

I guess Danger Phoenix came first with your idea. If you get a new one with his marks, then you can say they are refurbished :)

Associate
Exactly. We spend a small fortune on a premium device - there is no way they should hand out a used one, regardless of how much use the device has had.

I friend of mine got an S7 edge a few weeks ago and has had loads of issues with battery life and lag, and he was able to go in and swap the device there and then.

And yet we're expected to send ours off and be without a phone? It just stinks.

Food for thought: Imagine making the decision of swapping you new Note 7, which has a 0.1% chance of morphing into a candle, for a refurbished one, which may have the same chance of.. well, mostly anything.

We should all be able to imagine that Samsung already had loads of more stock to send to partners that they already started making adjustments to, after all the hype.
I don't think that anyone can doubt the fact that they will not just simply dispose of all of the existing stock :)

Last edited:
Associate
We should all be able to imagine that Samsung already had loads of more stock to send to partners that they already started making adjustments to, after all the hype.

Yes but some of that stock may not have been sold by the time it was recalled, so they could open them up, swap the batteries and then sell them as new stock. It would only have to be labelled as refurbished if it had been previously owned. Doesn't fill you with confidence.

Associate
Yes but some of that stock may not have been sold by the time it was recalled, so they could open them up, swap the batteries and then sell them as new stock. It would only have to be labelled as refurbished if it had been previously owned. Doesn't fill you with confidence.

Sorry for not being clearer, I was trying to say the same - We should safely assume there is a very high probability we'll receive one from a stock of devices with their batteries swapped.

It could really make some think twice before swapping it. Regardless, I know I'll swap it but by OCD will still be aware of this :)

Let's just hope there won't be any other problems after that.

Back
Top Bottom