The smell of smokers

Nix

Nix

Soldato
malc30 said:
I am reacting like this as i would feel totally uncomfortable being around any of you now without being paranoid about the smell.
I thought i had friends here but what kind of friends have no tolerance for one another.
I also planned on going to a meet very soon but would have my back up in defence after reading all this crap.
What would you have me do wait outside like a dog. **** that.
I saw xrays of my grandads lungs and have known all my life it is killing me. I am also aware of others and considerate enouth never to smoke around non smokers. I have tried Like i said to quit time and time again and to hear someone casually say he could give up if he wanted to me is pathetic and really makes my blood boil. You have no idea how many times i have tried but still a quick sentence from you and i can quit. O come on.

It sounds like you just lack the will power mate. There is internal motivation and external motivation. If you have little internal motivation, which suggests to me is true because you're finding it hard to quit, perhaps you need more external motivation. Try getting your friends and family to help keep you in check. It really is mind over matter dude, I think you seem to think something like "one wont hurt" but it always does. Learn from your mistakes and use them to your advantage. Focus all your effort on quitting and you will, I promise you.

Can I point you back to this post:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=7151372&postcount=62

Man of Honour
malc30 said:
I am reacting like this as i would feel totally uncomfortable being around any of you now without being paranoid about the smell.
I thought i had friends here but what kind of friends have no tolerance for one another.
I also planned on going to a meet very soon but would have my back up in defence after reading all this crap.
I saw xrays of my grandads lungs and have known all my life it is killing me. I am also aware of others and considerate enouth never to smoke around non smokers. I have tried Like i said to quit time and time again and to hear someone casually say he could give up if he wanted to me is pathetic and really makes my blood boil. You have no idea how many times i have tried but still a quick sentence from you and i can quit. O come on.
Best way to quit is spontaniously I hear.

So from the moment you read this post, STOP SMOKING! Seriously, thats it. All stopped!

Good luck.

Permabanned
malc30 said:

No tolerance? I couldn't give a toss where you smoke be it around me or not, i've passively smoked virtually my whole life, it doesn't bother me in the slightest anymore.
You are the only one here displaying an intolerant attitude by refusing to engage in a decent conversation about anything and instead just throwing insults at people and nigh on threatening some of us.

You say you've tried to quit many times, but failed. I (and many others it would seem) believe this is because deep down you don't want. When you mention knowing it is killing you, in my eyes that only reinforces the view you were trying to quit more because you thought you should rather than actually wanting to, and this is why you fail again and again.

Like i said before, anyone who truly wants to stop will be able to do so, hell physical addiction to nicotine only lasts 3 days after you stop smoking, after that it is purely about you wanting to poke sticks in your mouth.

We are only trying to have a discussion, after all these are discussion boards, you are the one throwing his toys out the pram and then not giving any reasons for it.

Man of Honour
OP
My mother started at the age of 12, smoked 20 a day for 48 years and gave up in one day because she wanted to.
My workmate started when he was 13, smoked more than 20 a day and stopped in one day when he was 50 because he wanted to.
I could go on but all those who failed didn't really want to.
There is a difference in mentality between those who really want to and those who try HOWEVER, I've never been a smoker so I have absolutely no experience of drug addiction.

I'm really interested why malc30 can't give up but it will be all the same reasons that the blokes in the fag shelters will give.

How do people feel about the recent findings that if you have one drag of a fag at the age of 13 that you can still have urges up to 3 years later?
It sounds codswollop to me.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
dmpoole said:
How do people feel about the recent findings that if you have one drag of a fag at the age of 13 that you can still have urges up to 3 years later?
It sounds codswollop to me.

It sounds rubbish to me.

My mother start smoking at 15 IIRC, she had cancer when I was that age. The two are related, which explains why I'm so adament she quits and why I really hate cigarettes. Cancer is an evil, horrible thing. I came very close to losing my mother all down to cigarettes, others should not have to go through that. I don't want to see her push her luck with her health. But, that was 5-6 years ago and she's been in the clear since, I really do wish she'd stop smoking though. She knows she should, but she doesn't really want to.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
malc30 said:
Thank you. :)

malc, seriously use this advice to your advantage, don't just dismiss it.

If you really want to stop smoking, stop right now. If you're smoking, take one last drag and put it out.

Perhaps it's worth you starting a quit smoking thread and see if others will join you. At least that way, you can have some external motivation if you lack the willpower yourself.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Well i hope that if i do finally quit i will be more tolerent than you lot.
There is so much about me you lot do not know and just about weekly i read threads/posts slating off what could be described as me.

This has been most depressing.

Nitefly. I was merely saying thank you for the friendly Good Luck.

Associate
Indeed, smokers dont smell.

My neighbour is a smoker and when ever she knocks at the front door (not that often thank goodness) and its opened, give it 10 seconds and BAM the smell will travel from the front door to my bedroom, its not nice at all.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
BerraSM said:
Indeed, smokers dont smell.

My neighbour is a smoker and when ever she knocks at the front door (not that often thank goodness) and its opened, give it 10 seconds and BAM the smell will travel from the front door to my bedroom, its not nice at all.

Ooh another Southender! :p

james.miller said:
nobody is intolerant of you. You only need to *think* about what people are saying in the posts rather than blindly reacting to them.

Agreed. Malc, despite what you think, we're not being intolerant. We're trying to help, stop victimising yourself.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
You are right. It was a major mistake to take what was said here so personal but then i planned on meeting some of you guys.
I will revert to the norm and just speak as if it means nothing.

Bare in mind i read the first 40 odd posts over two days before i posted.

HAz

HAz

Soldato
When im in a resturant, and theres a table full of smokers, I just wanna go over and push their heads into their food.
They ruin my meal so i ruin theirs.

I cant wait for the ban, no more stninking smoke filled clothes the next morning.
Oh and that horrid taste in the back of your mouth.

Suspended
malc30 said:
You are right. It was a major mistake to take what was said here so personal but then i planned on meeting some of you guys.
I will revert to the norm and just speak as if it means nothing.

Bare in mind i read the first 40 odd posts over two days before i posted.

If you don't want to stink, smoke outside (and not in enclosed space) at least the smoke is blown away and doesn't surround you.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
squiffy said:
If you don't want to stink, smoke outside (and not in enclosed space) at least the smoke is blown away and doesn't surround you.

At least have the decency to read my posts properly before you quote me.
I said i Only smoke in my Own house and Own car.

Soldato
I can't really smell smokers unless i'm in a really enclosed space (I think i've already mentioned about smoking in cars), this is probably because my mum, and when he's not at uni, my brother smoke. So i'm probably used to the smell in my house.
As for will power, my mum is currently giving up, she started last week and she's cut down dramatically, considering she's been smoking since her late teens so for almost 30 years. I won't dive into the addiction stuff or anything of the similar, the human mind is too complex for me :(

Back
Top Bottom