The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
All the sigma lens are highly recommended. If you are after small compact lens then look here

Brilliant thanks, I'll take a look at this.
f1.4 is always nice :cool:

I also read the negative reviews of the Sony 1.8, but figured I'd give it a go anyhow. I can't compare it to the Sigma as I've never tried it, but I certainly have nothing bad to say about the Sony - love it. In fact, it's the one that stays on the most.

I think there were AF problems with it in the past, which have now been fixed through an easily applied firmware update
I'd be content with f1.8 but be good at it, if it's fixable with firmware I might just go for it for the price.

It's arrived, feels pretty good, heavier and slightly bulkier than my M5 but not a big camera at all. Any recommendations on settings and customisation?

Caporegime
I bought the Sony battery grip for my A7 III and it makes a massive comfort difference, especially with the added chunky grip in the portrait orientation.

I wish Sony would design the A9's and A1's with this built in, like the older Canon 1D/S/X models. It would also provide some visual difference to the lower end models - currently the A1 looks exactly like the A7 MK3/4 and you're left wondering why you spent £6k+ on it :cry:

52068278809_ec103f91da_b.jpg
I am glad they dont to be honest. I have bought vertical grips for my previous A7iii and a7riii but not my A1. I love the ergonomics and the massive battery life they give you but dont like the bulk and size so it is handy to have it so you can remove it if you want to travel light.

Caporegime
Brilliant thanks, I'll take a look at this.

I'd be content with f1.8 but be good at it, if it's fixable with firmware I might just go for it for the price.

It's arrived, feels pretty good, heavier and slightly bulkier than my M5 but not a big camera at all. Any recommendations on settings and customisation?

I always go with Mark Galer a Sony ambassador. He makes great videos and write pdf books for all the sony cameras.

You have to become a patreon to access the books but worth it for one months subs and then cancel after you have downloaded everything you need. its a 500+ page book on the A7C!!!!!

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I always go with Mark Galer a Sony ambassador. He makes great videos and write pdf books for all the sony cameras.

You have to become a patreon to access the books but worth it for one months subs and then cancel after you have downloaded everything you need. its a 500+ page book on the A7C!!!!!

Amazing I'll download those tonight, should give me something to do and read whilst on the plane

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Is there a simple way to back up from the A7C while travelling? Direct to HD/over WiFi/via phone app etc
Every HDD that had in built SD card slot seems to have stopped being produced.

Soldato
Is there a simple way to back up from the A7C while travelling? Direct to HD/over WiFi/via phone app etc
Every HDD that had in built SD card slot seems to have stopped being produced.
I have mine set to FTP, sends all my photos to my phone as I take them then my phone uploads them to my NAS. I could basically do without an SD Card, the SD Card is my backup.

You'll love the C I've had mine since they came out in China.
Got my eyes on the soon to be released Tamron 20-40 f2.8.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I have mine set to FTP, sends all my photos to my phone as I take them then my phone uploads them to my NAS. I could basically do without an SD Card, the SD Card is my backup.

You'll love the C I've had mine since they came out in China.
Got my eyes on the soon to be released Tamron 20-40 f2.8.

Brilliant thanks @robj20 I'll take a look at that option, I found an old 500gb Wireless HDD but Seagate have stopped supporting the app needed to manage it on my phone.

Added a thumb grip and Smallrig L bracket with the L bit taken off, now it feels perfect in my hand.

Associate

Hi Greebo. Would you happen to know if his guides cover videography with the camera at all, or are they just for still photography?

Caporegime
Hi Greebo. Would you happen to know if his guides cover videography with the camera at all, or are they just for still photography?

Just had a look at the A7iv book and he has sections on setting up the video and a separate section just for vlogging as well with videos on both as well as settings to save into memory or he supplies all the camsets and you can uplaod them straight to your camera and then tweak to your own needs.

Like I said, become a patreon for one month, download everything you need and then cancel. Its £8 and well worth it IMO.

Caporegime
I had a grip for my 5D2...then never again. It just doesn't provide enough advantages for it without the grip. And this is on a big DSLR. On the A7iii it might seem logical but it's just too bulky, heavy.

I might actually still have the grip somewhere, not sold! lol

This. I had one on the a7iii and find it useful when I was doing portrait shoots. Apart from that I found it a pain with the extra size and weight.

Associate
Just had a look at the A7iv book and he has sections on setting up the video and a separate section just for vlogging as well with videos on both as well as settings to save into memory or he supplies all the camsets and you can uplaod them straight to your camera and then tweak to your own needs.

Like I said, become a patreon for one month, download everything you need and then cancel. Its £8 and well worth it IMO.

That sounds perfect, thanks! Will sign up on lunch break. :)

Soldato
A7RV reviews are coming thick and fast. Basically, if you already own the A7Riv and shoot portraiture, landscape, and product photography then there is no real need to upgrade. The main benefits of the upgrade include 8X more speed/processing power with better focus. You supposedly get better IBIS, compressed raw improvement, and an EV of -4

Back
Top Bottom