The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Heading to Iceland in 2 weeks and I feel I need something a bit wider than 28mm on my A7C, don't really want to break the bank but the 20mm Tamron has caught my eye or something from Samyang, any recommendations?

Associate
The Samyang 18mm is pretty decent. Have you considered an old lens with an adapter? I used a Tokina 17mm on my A7 for a few years and got some nice results. You'll lose autofocus but that may not matter depending on what you're shooting.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
The Samyang 18mm is pretty decent. Have you considered an old lens with an adapter? I used a Tokina 17mm on my A7 for a few years and got some nice results. You'll lose autofocus but that may not matter depending on what you're shooting.

I've previously had a Samyang 12mm MF on a A6*** that doesn't bother me as it'll mostly be landscapes, I've had the mouse hover over the buy button on a Sigma 16-28mm a couple of times this week :D

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Sod it just grabbed the 18mm Samyang, just read a few reviews and it seems much better than the Tamron 20mm, a few suggest soft versions floating around but through Amazon they can sort quite easily.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Sod it just grabbed the 18mm Samyang, just read a few reviews and it seems much better than the Tamron 20mm, a few suggest soft versions floating around but through Amazon they can sort quite easily.
A little update, just filed a return on the Samyang, reviewing my Iceland photos the lens I received is a bit on the soft side which is a tad annoying.

Caporegime
Weird issue, there were signs my memory cards (for my A7iii) were on their way out (odd behaviour on the camera, issues with previews, Windows having issues with certain files and LR not being able to edit those same photos).

Replaced both cards, all good. However the issue of me cropping in LR which then caused it to brain fart (constant spinning wheel) returned. It seems I have to turn off hardware acceleration in LR. Any one experienced a similar thing?

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Been using the 50mm f1.8 a lot recently but been getting frustrated due to soft/not sharp images, so spent the last few evenings doing some digging online, I had it set to AF-S with eye detect on, similar to how I've had my old Canon's setup but switching to AF-C on the A7C seems to make a massive improvement in focus, does this sound familiar to anyone?

Soldato
Don't suppose anyone has an idea on if Sony will perhaps release a a7iva - so an iv but like the other model they did with a better lcd?

Likely away in Hk soon and want to possibly take advantage of the prices. It's the only thing putting me off and it's more principal of them cheaping out on the screen.

Man of Honour
Don't suppose anyone has an idea on if Sony will perhaps release a a7iva - so an iv but like the other model they did with a better lcd?

Likely away in Hk soon and want to possibly take advantage of the prices. It's the only thing putting me off and it's more principal of them cheaping out on the screen.

I don't think there's been anything rumoured but then if I recall the A7r3a just turned up at some point and wasn't actually "launched" as such

Caporegime
Been using the 50mm f1.8 a lot recently but been getting frustrated due to soft/not sharp images, so spent the last few evenings doing some digging online, I had it set to AF-S with eye detect on, similar to how I've had my old Canon's setup but switching to AF-C on the A7C seems to make a massive improvement in focus, does this sound familiar to anyone?

I have always found continuous focus better if using eye focus on the Sony cameras. In fact unless I am using my camera on a tripod for a landscape shot, i never use AF-S anymore.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I have always found continuous focus better if using eye focus on the Sony cameras. In fact unless I am using my camera on a tripod for a landscape shot, i never use AF-S anymore.
Cheers @Greebo I ditched the 50mm in the end for a 20/35/85 combo plus the C got changed for an A7IV, black Friday was very expensive this year.

Caporegime
Had a wedding at the weekend, went as a guest so was low key but ended up doing some photos after their photographer left to catch the last train. Tamron 28-75mm has been a great lens but I miss having a ~35mm that can go <F2.8. I've started to do some research and came across the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 Nokton SE. What a lovely looking lens, not really come across 40mm. Any one have any experience Voigtlander or this lens?

Edit - and they do a 35mm 1.2. Eek!

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a wedding at the weekend, went as a guest so was low key but ended up doing some photos after their photographer left to catch the last train. Tamron 28-75mm has been a great lens but I miss having a ~35mm that can go <F2.8. I've started to do some research and came across the Voigtlander 40mm f1.2 Nokton SE. What a lovely looking lens, not really come across 40mm. Any one have any experience Voigtlander or this lens?

Edit - and they do a 35mm 1.2. Eek!
I have the 50mm. One of the most stunning portrait lenses you can buy. Manual only. Called the Night king. Youtube it and see :)

Back
Top Bottom