The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Soldato
I've stuck to the plan. All the Nikon gear is now on the Bay. I'd just like to see more lenses from Sigma, Tamron and the like before pulling the trigger on the body. I've seen them down to £1,750 now, for China & Hong Kong origin imports.

Caporegime
I'm sure you cam make a feature pro's and cons list comparison yourself on paper to see exactly what you lose and gain. :)
To be fair I don't need to. All the things I've listed I will miss but aren't deal breakers. Better to have the better quality and low light ability.

The only thing stopping me ordering one is the incredible lack of waterproofing the a7 has. Was reading some reviews and the connection covers aren't water sealed so it's a fair weather camera only. That's maybe a deal breaker. I sometimes get caught out in bad weather and the em1 is just shrugs it off. I've even washed it under the tap before now .

Caporegime
To be fair I don't need to. All the things I've listed I will miss but aren't deal breakers. Better to have the better quality and low light ability.

The only thing stopping me ordering one is the incredible lack of waterproofing the a7 has. Was reading some reviews and the connection covers aren't water sealed so it's a fair weather camera only. That's maybe a deal breaker. I sometimes get caught out in bad weather and the em1 is just shrugs it off. I've even washed it under the tap before now .
Buy one with a 5 year warranty that covers water damage, or get insurance privately that covers it. It's the only way to be safe.

Caporegime
My household covers my current camera anyway so that isn't an issue. The thought of ruining a 2 grand cause it's started to rain bothers me. Not had to think about rain for years now.

Caporegime
My household covers my current camera anyway so that isn't an issue. The thought of ruining a 2 grand cause it's started to rain bothers me. Not had to think about rain for years now.
I think you are exaggerating the issue somewhat and it has already been covered in detail in tests and teardowns on Youtube. People's Sony A7R3's have not been dying like flies because of a little rain. How often are you going to be putting them bottom-down in water? For 95% of situations other than downpours or rainforests etc it will be fine.

Caporegime
I think you are exaggerating the issue somewhat and it has already been covered in detail in tests and teardowns on Youtube. People's Sony A7R3's have not been dying like flies because of a little rain. How often are you going to be putting them bottom-down in water? For 95% of situations other than downpours or rainforests etc it will be fine.

Video reviews with a light misty shower for a few minutes filling the battery compartment of the Sony with water does not instil much confidence!!!! Why they didn't bother with waterproofing I will never know.

But I have GAS so I know I will end up buying one. Just deciding which of the three suits me :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Video reviews with a light misty shower for a few minutes filling the battery compartment of the Sony with water does not instil much confidence!!!! Why they didn't bother with waterproofing I will never know.

But I have GAS so I know I will end up buying one. Just deciding which of the three suits me :)

A9 if you want silent shooting and you want sports
A7R3 if you want resolution and sharpness.
A7III for all purpose shooting and extra £1200+ in your pocket.

Caporegime
I found a pain in the ass problem today shooting an engagement. The camera was knocking everything out of the park until a photo I tried to do at the bottom….

XKbIwQn.jpg

mecB3r0.jpg

05t4oG4.jpg

FNqx1IJ.jpg

yvucOPJ.jpg

5C0UzeV.jpg

So I was trying to shoot this photo, but only her right eye showing by walking behind him further to my right….Eye focus has picked up on her LEFT eye so as I walk more to my right, her left eye will be obstructed, as it became obstructed her entire face lost focus and the camera lost focus….it won't focus on her right eye that I can still see. I tried using spot focus but face detection was still on and although i can see the square, it won't focus !!!!

I was like, WTF, focus dammit. I think Toggle face detect might have to be added to a short cut in this scenario but I am out of buttons !

p.s. It's amazing what a single 50mm lens can do !

0WtDxPU.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
He said native lens, so can't be the 1.2. Guessed it was the 1.4, but just wanted to make sure in case he had somehow managed to work miracles with the f1.8. :D

Some of those are not 1.4, I know one is like 2.5! I know!!

The CA from the 1.4 zeiss is much better controlled than the 1.8 from what I gather and as you can probably guess I like shooting with the subject back lit so I much prefer the 1.4.

ray use the model dials to create additional settings

I need to look into this but ideally don’t want to keep turning knobs.

Do you guys use wide focus area much at all?

Yes, but you got to know the scene and depend what you are shooting.

Back
Top Bottom