The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Associate
They don’t look too bad from there but if you look at the video by Tony Northorp about the Sony 24-70 GM it is not that good, it’s no way near the sharpness of the Canon 24-70 mk2.

I know it’s just 1 video and it was a quick video but they kinda puts me off a bit on the lens even though I don’t use zooms much.

I can always adapt my Canon 24-70 on it if I am desperate.

I only have zooms now, I tend to walk about with one maybe two depending where I am so they work for me. This 24-70 is definitely better than my first one but its still not great. I have the 16-35 F4 and a canon 24-105 that I think are as sharp, I need to try a comparison with them next.
I wonder how that canon is with the mc-11, I may keep an eye out and compare them too.

Caporegime
That would depend on what lenses you plan to use. Both my GM are crap on the R2, there are a few other people on Google had the same issues (missed focus).

I would be manual focusing anyway doing something like landscapes. I doubt I will though just to get it for the support, will cross that bridge when I come to it. I'd rather spend that little bit more for the R3 for the dual card.

Caporegime
So I went out on Saturday night to use my Batis 18mm f2.8 for the first time. No moon, and a clear crisp night.

I’m rather happy with what I managed to get

Associate
I've had two Sigma 150-600 Contemporaries in the last few years and really enjoyed using them but as I mentioned a while ago to you I found them unusable on my A7Riii. Based on what you have posted I scratched the itch again this morning and bought a used 150-600 Sport from MPB and the adapter and dock from Wex.
I can't see that it will replace my 100-400GM and teleconverter as that is my travel long(ish) kit but I really fancy the 150-600S because of the extra reach and half stop gain without using a teleconverter. What you said about the latest firmware update really got me interested again so basically it's all your fault :D.
I've not put a thumbnail to this as its a big file (hopefully full size). This is using face detection at 600mm. Some random person stood at the opposite of Africa at YWP. Given how busy the picture is, I think the focus is working spot on.
http://i67.tinypic.com/dyujif.jpg

Soldato
I've not put a thumbnail to this as its a big file (hopefully full size). This is using face detection at 600mm. Some random person stood at the opposite of Africa at YWP. Given how busy the picture is, I think the focus is working spot on.
http://i67.tinypic.com/dyujif.jpg
Looks excellent, very sharp.
After thinking about my Sigma purchase at various times during the night :( I decided it was a vanity project and should just stick with my 100-400GM, it just ticks all the boxes for me. Cancelled at MPB for the lens and Wex for dock and MC-11 first thing, no problems. I'll just spend the money on the Sigma 135mm 1.8 ART when it gets to these shores:D

@Greebo brilliant set, little chance for me living so close to Heathrow and the Big Smoke. Land of the Midnight Sun round here!

Caporegime
@Greebo brilliant set, little chance for me living so close to Heathrow and the Big Smoke. Land of the Midnight Sun round here![/QUOTE]

Thanks. I am really lucky that I live within a few miles of the start of a dark skies area. Even though there is sometimes a little bit too much light pollution. When I want some really dark skies though I only need to go another 10 miles north and then I’m into total blackness.

The waterfall is a shot I have been trying to get for years and always failed. Milky Way only lines up for a month each year and obviously you need a moonless and cloud free night so you only have a few days per year to try and get this shot. Everything came together and the Sony A7III and Batis didn’t let me down. I only had a five minute window to get it right. Even now I look at it and know I can do better next time

Back
Top Bottom