The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Associate
I’ve never imported a lens before but the savings on the 85mm are too tempting to buy a UK one. Are E-infinity trustworthy? It’s £1160 on there. Panmoz said they would do it for £1260

Soldato
Soldato
Just use the Auto function to start with, it produces good base results that you can then tweak. There is no excuse for notlearning the basics of lightroom when you can simply search for and use some very straightforward Youtube tutorials.
I know the basics but i'm more into PS than LR, will take the time to learn it though. :)

Man of Honour
I had the fortune of having a play with the A7iii with a 24-70 and 100-400 Tuesday afternoon.

A few points came to mind..

1. Quite a harsh flicker in the view finder.
2. Maybe a slight lag.. Not sure

Any thoughts on this?

Bottom line.. i'm still not convinced.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I had the fortune of having a play with the A7iii with a 24-70 and 100-400 Tuesday afternoon.

A few points came to mind..

1. Quite a harsh flicker in the view finder.
2. Maybe a slight lag.. Not sure

Any thoughts on this?

Bottom line.. i'm still not convinced.
A slight lag? That's about as unspecific as it gets. A lag on what? Were there no positives? :confused:

Man of Honour
I see you point .Sorry Richdog. Through the view finder.

Yes, definitely a few positives. I found it much faster and accurate in focusing and the image production was gorgeous and sharp. of course there are the benefit of the dual card slot, FF and cost etc..

In the back of my mind, I can help maybe i'm loosing or over looking something if I'm to take the jump to ff.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I see you point .Sorry Richdog. Through the view finder.

Yes, definitely a few positives. I found it much faster and accurate in focusing and the image production was gorgeous and sharp. of course there are the benefit of the dual card slot, FF and cost etc..

In the back of my mind, I can help maybe i'm loosing or over looking something if I'm to take the jump to ff.
AHh ok I see what you mean. You can set the viewfinder to a higher speed I think, but even so you will still get blackout at highest FPS. Also in low light the screen will lag just like any other digital sensor. However in decent light it should be fine. You really cannot go wrong with an A7III for the majority of use cases. :)

Soldato
I’ve never imported a lens before but the savings on the 85mm are too tempting to buy a UK one. Are E-infinity trustworthy? It’s £1160 on there. Panmoz said they would do it for £1260
I bought a lens from e-finity on eBay recently - the delivery was a little slow. But they sent me a picture of it all boxed and everything before sending. Have had no issues with the product and paid no import duty.

Soldato
So I have just booked myself a Safari in Uganda for Christmas-New Year.
Looking at options - does anyone have any experience adapting canon zooms (Canon 100-400L IS USM) or the Sigma 150-600 at all with the MC-11 ?
Or do I just rent a Sony 100-400?

Man of Honour
AHh ok I see what you mean. You can set the viewfinder to a higher speed I think, but even so you will still get blackout at highest FPS. Also in low light the screen will lag just like any other digital sensor. However in decent light it should be fine. You really cannot go wrong with an A7III for the majority of use cases. :)

Thanks for the feedback.. Much appreciated..

Flipping thing slightly, can you think of any reason for the 5DIV has anything over the Sony A7III which i should consider?

Soldato

Flipping thing slightly, can you think of any reason for the 5DIV has anything over the Sony A7III which i should consider?
Build quality, maybe just because its new but I found myself being a lot more careful with the Sony than I did with my old 5DmkII. Over the ~10 years I had it was thrown around, bumped, used on the beach in sand, in snow, in rain etc and I never worried about it, with it still looking great whenI sold it. I'm not expecting the Sony to stand up to that.

Obviously though that's where a lot of the premium for the Canon goes, so it comes down to what you need from the camera. Would I have gone for a 5DmkIV over the Sony if they were the same price? Probably before, but now after using the Sony, no.

Caporegime
Looking at options - does anyone have any experience adapting canon zooms (Canon 100-400L IS USM) or the Sigma 150-600 at all with the MC-11 ?
If you have the cash it will be cheaper to buy

I have never owned Canon but it is DSLR vs mirrorless various strengths and weaknesses. Personally I would take the Sony A7III every time as it gets almost everything right (even if the lens selection is much smaller).

Soldato
It looks to be about £160 to rent one for a couple of weeks which isn't the end of the world, but it is £160 I will be kissing goodbye to. The other option is to try and buy/sell used but I am not sure there is much of a market for them as everybody likes them and there doesn't seem to be many for sale :(

Caporegime
It looks to be about £160 to rent one for a couple of weeks which isn't the end of the world, but it is £160 I will be kissing goodbye to. The other option is to try and buy/sell used but I am not sure there is much of a market for them as everybody likes them and there doesn't seem to be many for sale :(
It is £160 that you will not be kidding goodbye to, it is £160 that will be getting you amazing photos from a trip that you will never forget. To me that seems a small price to pay. :)

Associate

I recently bought a fuji lens from them no issues. only one of the cheaper ones though due to warranty concerns

Caporegime
For reach and bang for buck buying a canon version sigma 150-600 and 1.4tc and mc-11 is unbeatable. But they are.large. approx one metre long when fully zoomed! For sharpness and Quality nothing beats the Sony 100-400 though but it costs you.

Soldato
I think I'll just pony up the rental fee, if i don't usually have use for that kind of range so would make sense to just rent.

I might see if they'll rent me an extender too :)

Soldato
Where you renting from?

I'll be using my Tamron 28-75 next week at Motorcycle live unless anyone can recommend a better lens for the occasion? No moving pictures, all still. :)

Back
Top Bottom