****The Sony RX100 Series Owners and Tips Thread****

Soldato
Hi. Question for owners.

I understand the hdr mode allows for better sunset photos by taking 3 images and sticking them together. The camera however doesn't seem to allow the 2 second timer to be used if hdr is selected. This seems to mean I won't be able to get rid of a bit of camera shake initially when I first press the shutter. Anyone else encountered this?

Soldato
Question. Between the III, IV and V, what would I really be missing if I got a III? I seem to remember people saying the IV was better than the V, but can't seem to find it now.

I'm not opposed to buying the V, but if the III does everything I need (photos mainly with some video), then I would be happy to grab one of those.

Soldato
I've just ordered a mark III. I've got a full DSLR setup but want something portable particularly as I'm doing more motorbike trips and don't want the bulk or risk of carting £3k of equipment with me.
Really looking forward to it arriving and having a play!

Soldato
I've just ordered a mark III. I've got a full DSLR setup but want something portable particularly as I'm doing more motorbike trips and don't want the bulk or risk of carting £3k of equipment with me.
Really looking forward to it arriving and having a play!

I haven’t experienced this before with other cameras, but when shooting in RAW with the RX100, there is quite a big fish eye effect - remember to adjust it in post, or decide whether it’s worth the hassle.

I’ve found that the cameras own processing to be very good anyway, so I haven’t had much need for it

Soldato
I haven’t experienced this before with other cameras, but when shooting in RAW with the RX100, there is quite a big fish eye effect - remember to adjust it in post, or decide whether it’s worth the hassle.

I’ve found that the cameras own processing to be very good anyway, so I haven’t had much need for it
I'd imagine it will be similar to my Samyang 24mm so I'm used to dealing with that at the wide end. You're not seeing that at the upper end of the zoom are you?

Associate
Anyone got the V/M5 model? Have you noticed a lot of battery drain? I had the MK1 and battery lasted a decent while and didn't lose charge when left in. The newer M5 seems to drain very quickly and when battery is left in it loses charge. The video quality is brilliant and enjoy the small size.

Associate
The MKIII is decent. I had it in the past and recently sold my M1 to fund a M5. Great little cameras. Just not liking the short battery drains. I could for long shoot plug in an Anker battery pack or order more batteries.

Associate
Finally bought a MK III, £365 with the cashback offer (Costco). It’s so tiny!!!

Got it to use on days out on my bike, battery on charge ...

Last edited:
Associate
What time-lapse software are people using? I have a free phone app to control my M3 by wifi but it's a bit limited.
Is the paid for Sony PlayMemories software the best one to use?

No a fan of a "bit of plastic and rubberband on button" method!

Associate
It depends on the content. I don't always have time to tinker in post and nailing it out of the box with that profile could save me some man hours. I mainly use the RX100 for family stuff so getting some decent skin colours out of the box is handy. The default is usually fine but depends on the lighting.

I like the RX100 M5 except for the battery life. It totally eats up the battery for extended shoots.

Back
Top Bottom