****The Sony RX100 Series Owners and Tips Thread****

Associate
PS. I caved in and bought an A6000 /16-50 today. Argos (of all places) were doing it for £499 plus £50 Sony Cashback.

Loving it so far. That sensor is snappy. Think I may have scored a decent example of the lens too. Things are Looking Good at 400%.

Happy Daze.

Associate
Picked up the RX100M3 for £434 (after cashback) from Costco if any one is interested in getting one.
The Image Stabilisation and ND filter are good features and have come in handy. Couldn't really justify going up to the M4 or M5 at this stage.

Associate
Must admit the form factor of the RX100 IS lovely but it always felt like I was taking photographs using a cigarette packet. A very slippery cigarette packet.

The mark one is a design classic but the more they packed in the sillier it got. The mark 3 is where they should have stopped IMO.

Trying to do 4k in that tiny environment was just silly.

Associate
Must admit the form factor of the RX100 IS lovely but it always felt like I was taking photographs using a cigarette packet. A very slippery cigarette packet.

The mark one is a design classic but the more they packed in the sillier it got. The mark 3 is where they should have stopped IMO.

Trying to do 4k in that tiny environment was just silly.

From my limited use of the camera so far, I do agree with the "slippery cigarette packet" somewhat!
I have since fitted the stick-on hand grip and it makes a massive difference. Much more comfy and easier to hold.....No slippage!
Extortionately price for what it actually is but it does fill you with a bit more confidence in holding the camera for both stability for shots and also so it doesn't slip!

Soldato
I've just upgraded my mark ii with the mark iv. The main motivation was video - to get 4k and slow motion.

I've only played with it for a day, but aside from the obvious difference in video capability the main difference seems to be processing power. Everything's just a little snappier and quicker. Time will tell if there's much difference in the image quality, but I was pretty happy with the images I was getting from the mark ii anyway. Reviews seem to suggest that high iso performance is improved.

Upgrading it has made me have a wider rethink. I realised that I've really only seriously used my D750 twice in the past 18 months, on both occasions for F1 testing. In between I've only used it occasionally, and then in situations where the RX100 would still have done a decent job. So I'm now thinking of selling the D750 and lenses too. I love it, and it feels like tough decision, but thinking rationally I'm simply not using it enough any longer.

Soldato
I've just upgraded my mark ii with the mark iv. The main motivation was video - to get 4k and slow motion.

I've only played with it for a day, but aside from the obvious difference in video capability the main difference seems to be processing power. Everything's just a little snappier and quicker. Time will tell if there's much difference in the image quality, but I was pretty happy with the images I was getting from the mark ii anyway. Reviews seem to suggest that high iso performance is improved.

Upgrading it has made me have a wider rethink. I realised that I've really only seriously used my D750 twice in the past 18 months, on both occasions for F1 testing. In between I've only used it occasionally, and then in situations where the RX100 would still have done a decent job. So I'm now thinking of selling the D750 and lenses too. I love it, and it feels like tough decision, but thinking rationally I'm simply not using it enough any longer.

Went to my first proper car event yesterday where used to use a Canon 20D and 70-200mm.. Pain in the arse to carry around so was happy enough yesterday with my tiny RX100 III.

zNI6cQ1.jpg

Soldato
I think I'm starting to get buyers remorse. Currently trying to link up the camera to my iPhone to control taking pictures from the phone (free Sony app) and I just can't get it to work. The two are paired but as soon as I actually start the camera and open the lens they disconnect. Am I missing something basic here? I'm not going to look at purchasing any other apps (some of which are an absolute disgrace to be a paid add-on) until the basic free ones work.

Soldato
Is this still the daddy P&S Sony? I bought one in 2014 and at the time seem to remember people saying "hold out for a mk2, better than mk3", etc. Is that still roughly the case or can I be confident in just buy the latest one (V)?

Associate
Heads up. RX100 Mark 3 is available for £427 (£352 after £75 Sony cashback) at a certain store with a Prime day deal

Associate
Seriously for £352 it's a complete no brainer. That's the lowest price it's ever been (camerapricebuster.co.uk)

You could always shift it on if you didn't get on with it (and more than likely make money)

Last edited:
Associate
Glad to be of assistance.

I can highly recommend a skin wrap that looks and feels like Leica leather. Search ebay for "Camera Leather decoration sticker for Sony DSC-RX100 M3 4008 Leica Type" by Japan-Hobby- Tool.

I put one on my RX100 Mk1 and after a lot of use it's still as good as the day it went on. Made a world of difference to the cameras handling (I never got on with the stick on hand grips)

skin.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
The RX M3 sold out pretty quick and I'm not surprised at that price tbh. Almost bought one but I'm still on honeymoon with the recently purchased A6000.

Having a lot of fun actually and I really don't get why the kit lenses get such a bad press.

zoom.jpg

Back
Top Bottom