****The Sony RX100 Series Owners and Tips Thread****

Associate
If you're going to use Xavc s (ie the best codec) then you will need a 64 GB SDXC UHS-1 Class 10 card.

Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s are pretty good cards

Soldato
Ok I got the camera yesterday and I have been playing with it for a while and the video quality on this is insane. I did have to change from PAL to NTSC to get 60 fps as the PAL was only doing 50 FPS

Soldato
Took those leaving Hiroshima port back in 2016. Not a seasoned photographer by any means but pleased with how they turned out.

35921134525_615439abde_b.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
If I buy one of these cameras, should I shoot raw and try my hand at post processing, or shoot in jpeg mode? Is basic post processing easy or am I getting into a minefield immediately? Any free post processing software?

Soldato
If I buy one of these cameras, should I shoot raw and try my hand at post processing, or shoot in jpeg mode? Is basic post processing easy or am I getting into a minefield immediately? Any free post processing software?
If you've got a Mac, the iPhoto software is great. If you want to spend a bit of time tinkering with the photos, go with RAW, but the superior auto mode on the camera does a very good job at processing anyway, so I personally wouldn't bother unless you really want every photo to look spot on.

Soldato
I always shoot RAW on my DSLR and had done so on my Canon S90. With the RX100 I started out shooting RAW & JPEG but I found that that I was actually quite happy with the JPEG output from the RX100 and so now stick to that for the simplified workflow.

Soldato
Got new camera today. Tried to take something artistic lol:

YAGB24u.jpg.png

It was shot in aperture priority mode.

Its nice enough I guess, but I had to get the camera only about 10cm from the feather to get the background to be out of focus. Does this mean I'm not going to be able to do out of focus at all with people?

Can anyone suggest what settings I try and experiment with first?

I also tried taking a raw photo and downloaded rawtherapee to play with it. But couldn't get it as nice as this one direct from the camera.

Soldato

YAGB24u.jpg.png

Its nice enough I guess, but I had to get the camera only about 10cm from the feather to get the background to be out of focus. Does this mean I'm not going to be able to do out of focus at all with people?

I also tried taking a raw photo and downloaded rawtherapee to play with it. But couldn't get it as nice as this one direct from the camera.

Did you then rotate the bezel to set the aperature?

Soldato
Yes that was on the lowest setting of f/1.8.

I took this photo of my garden just now:

And I think Im a little disappointed that cropping in to the crisp packet doesn't get a bit better detail as it is quite pixelated? How do I improve the sharpness?

How much have you cropped that picture? If I zoom in 100% to an image I have taken with the RX100 it doesn't look that pixelated. I don't think it's reasonable to expect to be able to crop an image beyond that.

Your first image has presumably been resized to 1500 x 1000. Try cropping the original image to 1500 x 1000 (with the crisp packet inside this areas) and posting that.

Soldato

Depending on the lens out of focus background can be a trade off between aperture and focal length. Try stepping back and doing the same shot at maximum zoom. You won't be at F1.8 but you may well get more separation between the subject and the background.

Soldato
Been waiting for it to get dark to try out the night shots, and have to admit I'm pretty impressed by this. I couldn't read the number plates by eye as its too dark out.

Taken at ISO800 with f/8, 15 second exposure.

AzDYNeg.jpg.png

My question would be how to get this sharper? The camera is auto focussing here, do I manual focus? If so, how would I manually focus at night in the dark?

What else can I do to improve things here?

Thanks

Soldato
Been waiting for it to get dark to try out the night shots, and have to admit I'm pretty impressed by this. I couldn't read the number plates by eye as its too dark out.

Taken at ISO800 with f/8, 15 second exposure.

My question would be how to get this sharper? The camera is auto focussing here, do I manual focus? If so, how would I manually focus at night in the dark?

What else can I do to improve things here?

Thanks

Take a look at: http://docs.esupport.sony.com/dvimag/DSCRX100_guide/en/contents/04/04/13/13.html#l2_mf assist

At F8 15 seconds making sure the camera is rock steady for the long exposure is at least as important as getting the shot in focus. Were you using a tripod or just resting it on something? Either way using the timer is a good idea to avoid any initial movement when you press the shutter.

Soldato
Take a look at: http://docs.esupport.sony.com/dvimag/DSCRX100_guide/en/contents/04/04/13/13.html#l2_mf assist

At F8 15 seconds making sure the camera is rock steady for the long exposure is at least as important as getting the shot in focus. Were you using a tripod or just resting it on something? Either way using the timer is a good idea to avoid any initial movement when you press the shutter.

The screen was totally black because it was very dark outside, so I could not see anything on the screen, even with that MF assist mode. The camera was on a box and I used the 2 second timer.

One of the things I seem to be coming up against is that if I'm zoomed in, and using a small aperture to get a sharp focused image, then the shutter speed drops to be very slow. The shutter speed seems to very very quickly fall away from its 1/2000 maximum down to less than 1/60. Is that normal?

Last edited:
Soldato
The screen was totally black because it was very dark outside, so I could not see anything on the screen, even with that MF assist mode. The camera was on a box and I used the 2 second timer.

One of the things I seem to be coming up against is that if I'm zoomed in, and using a small aperture to get a sharp focused image, then the shutter speed drops to be very slow. The shutter speed seems to very very quickly fall away from its 1/2000 maximum down to less than 1/60. Is that normal?

The lens is F1.8 at the wide end but F4.9 at full zoom so yes exposure time will increase as you zoom in.

Back
Top Bottom