****The Sony RX100 Series Owners and Tips Thread****

Associate
After being inspired by this thread and various recommendations in the forum I purchased my first 'proper' camera yesterday - an RX100 II.
Now, the only issue is my ability to take good photos - I've only ever used my iPhone camera to this point - what's a good starting point, generic or RX100 specific for a complete novice to begin to learn the art?
Look forward to sharing some shots with you all soon.

Soldato
We are pleased to inform you we have released improved firmware for your
DSC-RX100M5 camera, which is available for you to download and install at no cost. Details of this improved firmware, and a simple guide on how to access it follow below.
  • Name: System software Ver.1.01 for DSC-RX100M5
  • Release date: 24/01/2017
  • Benefits and improvements
    • Improves the symptom of no power-on after specific setting. ([Quality: RAW&JPEG] & [Soft Skin Effect: ON] & [Face Detect.: ON])
    • Improves overall stability of the camera.
Install the software Windows download Mac download

With thanks for your attention,
Sony Europe

Associate
Think Im about to pull the trigger on a mark III as prices have just dropped to £499. Im after a good 'pocketable' camera and the sony's seem to be the smallest and best IQ. I wouldnt mind the canon mkII as the touch screen must make them easier to use but there around £550 and are out of stock in a lot of the main suppliers.

Associate
I bought my mum just the official sony screen protector for hers. The straps is good enough for carrying it about otherwise and I think it's small enough to not need it's own bag.

I own the RX100V and you would have to be crazy to think you don't need a case for an £900 camera unless scraches don't bother you. I have a soft case and screen protector. I don't want a mark anywhere on this camera, as it cost me a small fortune.

Associate
Took the plunge on an rx100 iii this week. Just got back from a roadtrip in the US and after two weeks of carrying around a nikon D7100 I decided i wanted something more pocketable. i was looking seriously at the Sony a6000 but decided that was too close to my DLSR, the Sony just seemed to tick all the boxes for me. I'm going to the London Lens show this weekend so i'll probably take it for a walkabout to try it out. Any recommendations on cases for it?

Associate
A ramble around London this weekend to try out my new Sony RX100 iii. Wasn't sure what to expect from this tiny camera but overall pleased with it's performance. For such a tiny camera it seemed to perform well in some difficult lighting conditions.

DSC00146 by Skalaberg, on Flickr
DSC00138 by Skalaberg, on Flickr
DSC00131 by Skalaberg, on Flickr
DSC00123 by Skalaberg, on Flickr
DSC00119 by Skalaberg, on Flickr
DSC00113 by Skalaberg, on Flickr
DSC00106 by Skalaberg, on Flickr
DSC00105 by Skalaberg, on Flickr
DSC00102 by Skalaberg, on Flickr
DSC00100 by Skalaberg, on Flickr
DSC00095 by Skalaberg, on Flickr
DSC00090 by Skalaberg, on Flickr
DSC00087 by Skalaberg, on Flickr
DSC00082 by Skalaberg, on Flickr
DSC00072-2 by Skalaberg, on Flickr
DSC00046 by Skalaberg, on Flickr

Associate
I used 'M' manual. I did find the buttons very small and I kept missing the shutter button occasionally but aperature was set to the front wheel on the lens and shutter speed was on the small dial on the back. It's a world apart from my Nikon D7100 in terms of size and will take some getting used to (I really had to think about changing a setting) but with some practice should be OK.

Associate
In regards to spare batteries, do people stick with the original Sony batteries or use 3rd party ones. I know there are a lot of carp ones out there (£5 vs £30?)
Recently picked up my mk3 so not that familiar with the np-bx1 battery pack and copies.

Associate
Aftermarket are fine. I've been using a MaximalPower cheapie I got from Armazon in a Mk 1 Rx100 for a few years now and it's still going strong. Lasts just as long as the Sony fleece me now version.

3.7v 1300 mAh 4.8wh. Is what it is.

Last edited:
Associate
For indoor use the Mark 1 is fine. Outdoors ? I find the screen almost impossible to see on a sunny day. There's no tilting or angling as it's fixed. With no viewfinder it makes it more of a "Point and Hope". Great for indoor use though.
I'm currently toying between a Mark 3 or an A6000. They're both roughly the same price at the mo with Sonys current summer cashback offer.

Associate
hmm it will be for general use.. think she wants a fast point and shot camera really with decent video capability as we will soon have our 1st child. unless there is another camera which fits this criteria?

Associate
The HX90 has the same form factor as RX100 series. Same pop up viewfinder as the mk3, 180 tilting screen 30x - very fast zoom and excellent video (xavc-s) Has a smaller sensor than the RX100 series though.

Back
Top Bottom