• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Strong Lifts 5 by 5 Thread

Caporegime
Thinking of doing this as I'd quite like to get stronger over all not just build size.

been going to the gym for a fair chunk of this year but never done squats, or OHP and only did dead lifts a few times months a go when I had a different gym partner.

Does it work better than isolation, also I normally go the gym after work so Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday, Thursday. Do you need a rest day in between each day of this? or would i be ok with say Monday, Tuesday, Thursday?

Associate
Thinking of doing this as I'd quite like to get stronger over all not just build size.

been going to the gym for a fair chunk of this year but never done squats, or OHP and only did dead lifts a few times months a go when I had a different gym partner.

Does it work better than isolation, also I normally go the gym after work so Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday, Thursday. Do you need a rest day in between each day of this? or would i be ok with say Monday, Tuesday, Thursday?

Strong Lifts is built on a solid idea. Follow it from the beginning if you can for two reasons;
1: it will allow you to practice and perfect the lifts (squats especially - over a few weeks with increasing weight you'll find out the most comfortable foot placement/angle etc).
2: As SL uses compound lifts which work multiple muscle groups, starting from the beginning means as you increase the weights over the weeks you'll be strengthening muscles you may not have previously been utilising with regular gym/machine routines.

Whats a compound lift? Basically means your using multiple muscle groups to perform the lift = muscles are being activated = you get a LOT stronger.
Theres a whole bunch of guys who can do endless dumbbell curls and have huge biceps, endless leg extensions using a machine and have huge quads... great for posing but not so great for strength.
From the bottom up;
Dead Lift: uses leg, lower and upper back and forearms.
Squat: uses legs, lower and upper back, abs.
Pendelay Row/Row: uses legs, lower and upper back, abs, arms.
Bench Press: uses arms, chest, abs (core muscles, stability).
OH Press, uses abs (core muscles, stability), upper back, arms.

So you can see why there are squats in every workout, they utilise a lot of muscles! Then the alternations between OHP and Dealift one day, the next Bench and Rows .... working similar groups across the week for a full body workout.

After 5 squats I always do 5 calf raises using the same weight. I also do Dips after every session as a little extra or as I'm getting stronger I'm adding in some pull ups

To start with Mon, Tue Thur will be fine, as the weights get heavier you will want to have a day rest between each session, you'll understand why when you struggle to finish the last 5 squats ... you REALLY wont want to do 25 quats the next day ;) Same again for OHP and BP. Rest is important to heal as is a balanced diet.

GL and post your progress

Associate
So it all balances out, I guess? If you get stuck on your OHP or squat, eventually that'll start limiting your other lifts so you end up generally keeping in sync?

Also Squats go up quicker as the quads are extremely strong, before you even start adding weight they can jump your whole body weight a foot in the air.

Every ones body is different, some people will naturally be able to squat or bench more, everyone plateaus eventually, then you deload and repeat, see here:
http://stronglifts.com/what-to-do-after-12-weeks-of-stronglifts-5x5/

Your body is unique, just because you struggle with one workout and not another isnt bad, its nature. The real work begins when you start having to deload, its where a lot of people sack it, but its also where the biggest gains are made.

Ultimately you'll get out of SL what you put in :)

Permabanned
I'm starting this again with my training partner tomorrow. Was doing it in January and it was going well but then slipped out the routine, had an idiot for a training partner who was more interested in bicep curls and abs and was training for another marathon I had in June so it took a back seat.

Training for Tough Mudder now though and I enjoyed it previously so here I am again. :)

Also doing assistance work on the side which will be along the lines of workout A with pulls ups and workout B core work.

Caporegime
One thing I'm worried about with this is I've made some nice gains in size over the last few months and I'm thinking dropping down to such low weights and few exercises for a long ramp up, obviously not having done squats OHP before low wights to learn technique might be good, but with such slow incriminates on the weight addition that i'll be wasting weeks of potential growth.

only lift from this program i have a proper benchmark for is bench press and i can do 70kg for 8,6,5 on that.

what do you guys think?

edit: oh and at the start when you'reonly using the bar low weight do you just use the empty bar for the warm up or skip the warm u pas the warm up is just your work wight too?

Last edited:
Soldato
If you've already got an idea your 5RM's you won't start with an empty bar. The 4-6 weeks of 'low weight' etc. will soon be forgotten when the momentum of Stronglifts starts taking over and you feel like you can squat in your sleep :p.

Soldato
Joined the gym recently but it only has a smith machine for bench press and squats. Would it be worth my while doing 5x5?

Caporegime
Yes defo, but I would be looking for another gym myself.

So I've been ill for the past few weeks, eurgh. lost half a stone too :( I went to the gym the other day to check my 1rm. I'm miles off my 1rm from not too long ago. Starting this again till I get to a better level and will get back on 5/3/1. :)

Though I will alter it slightly

A

Squat
Bench
BOR
Wide arm pull ups

B

Squat
OHP
Dead (poss more than 1x5)
Hanging leg raises

Will also be throwing in HIIT,skipping or a small circuit on both days. Cardio on my days off. I want all over fitness, so some sacrifices will have to be made.

Last edited:
Caporegime
In the early phases I add Dips & Pull-ups each workout. After 6-8 weeks or so I'm generally knackered enough from SL though (and I have time constraints).

I done pullups in between BOR tonight, felt good. I done a lot of long workouts earlier this year, so I'm used to spending a long time in the gym. I rarely have any time constraints either :)

Tonight went well, weights have dropped right down but will be using the next two weeks finding out were to start. Bench needs to go up by at least 5kgs, squats possibly more but I'm not too fussed nice and slow :)

Soldato
Hmm... I started going through the SL 5x5 website, but all I got was a massive 200 page PDF.

Where is the section with the actual workouts and example vids? Did everyone else read that massive PDF?

Associate
Hmm... I started going through the SL 5x5 website, but all I got was a massive 200 page PDF.

Where is the section with the actual workouts and example vids? Did everyone else read that massive PDF?

Here mate:
http://stronglifts.com/free-stronglifts-5x5-report/

Pop your name and email in and you'll get the link to download all the sheets.
Dont worry, you wont get crap loads of spam, but you will get Mehdi's occasional newsletter which can have some interesting stuff in it and Q&A's from other SLers which can be very helpful.

Well my update here, after being ill for two weeks, having a sore knee for about a week and then being away I managed to get back on to routine .... for one freaking week before getting the trots this weekend, still feel rough now. Its like everything damn thing that was get in my way and ruin my progress.
Fixed my knee with some rest and a run of Super Omega 3 and MSM Glucosamine (From MyProtein.co.uk use code MP161718 for a 5% discount :D ), also noticed an improvement in my lifts, things felt a lot "nicer", I guess the Omega 3 and Glucosamine did all my joints a little good.

Currently at:
Squat 110lb
Bench 80lb
OHP 65lb
Row 90lb
Deadlift 170lb

Will start again next week!

Soldato
My current progress from 20/06/12 to now:

Bench: 38Kg --> 55Kg
Squats: 38Kg --> 72.5Kg
Deadlift: 78kg --> 110Kg
Barbell Row: 28.5Kg --> 50Kg
Overhead Press: 30kg --> 40Kg

All in all, i'm quite happy with these and the only iminent failure i'm detecting is on the overhead press. :)

Soldato
Overhead press is one of the slowest progressions apparently, i find it really hard exercise

I just want to get to at least 52Kg so that i can OHP my woman and show her how alpha i am.. :p:cool:

In all seriousness though it is tough. Me and my training buddy stick dips on A and chins on B which i find helps/knackers us more.

Back
Top Bottom