The Tesla Thread

Soldato
You joke, but it will happen lol

Quite a lot of people still run out of petrol, but that's not a massive issue since the breakdown people will just supply enough to get to a station and fill up. But with an EV...

Last edited:
Associate
They take you to the nearest charger, so no big deal really. Once more chargers appear, even less of an issue. Destination chargers, home chargers and quick top up chargers in the likes of Aldi, Lidl, Asda and so on.
It's funny how quickly people will then remember to charge the car.

I've not once even been close to forgetting to charge the car.

Quite a lot of people still run out of petrol, but that's not a massive issue since the breakdown people will just supply enough to get to a station and fill up. But with an EV...

Soldato
But it's the difference between arriving a bit late and blaming traffic, or arriving on a tow truck and looking like a muppet :D

Soldato

indeed, this is why i firmly beleive the future is with hydrogen, if we can get the hurdle of storage cracked it'll remove basically every problem an ev has whilst keeping every advantage it has.

Associate
indeed, this is why i firmly beleive the future is with hydrogen, if we can get the hurdle of storage cracked it'll remove basically every problem an ev has whilst keeping every advantage it has.

Let's be honest, if we're talking about range here, the next generation of cars will have 200 miles with ease, 300+ without too much of a hassle. Even with a commute of 50 miles a day, I'd only NEED to charge once a work week, that's not really much of a problem is it?

Soldato
Let's be honest, if we're talking about range here, the next generation of cars will have 200 miles with ease, 300+ without too much of a hassle. Even with a commute of 50 miles a day, I'd only NEED to charge once a work week, that's not really much of a problem is it?

you've never been there? waking up for the daily commute with a near empty tank and having to spend at most 10 minutes re-filling on your way to work?

Associate
you've never been there? waking up for the daily commute with a near empty tank and having to spend at most 10 minutes re-filling on your way to work?

Honestly no, it's not hard to check a fuel gauge when checking the speedo as you drive, fill it up when it's less than 1/4 instead of getting as far as possible.

With the Leaf, I get home, click the off button, click the open charger button, walk out of car, step to the side, grab my charger, plug it in. 10 seconds. Another 10 second when leaving. We also have solar so I commute on some of my own production, I'm averaging £100 less on 'fuel' a month easily.

Far better than having to think I need fuel, pull off the road into a forecourt, half the time wait for a pump to be free, get out, get card out of wallet, enter card into machine (or join the queue indoors) put on glove or have fuel covered hand, stand there for a few minutes while it fills, wait a receipt, drive back onto road.

I have a ICE car too, but would happily never have to drive one again without it being a aural reason of a V8.

Soldato
Not sure if I'm being thick here, but why is a weather proof frunk worthy of mention? Wouldn't you sort of expect it to be weather proof?

I don't know if this is true just guessing, but maybe the Model S has water ingress issues so stating this for the Model 3 shows they have made efforts to fix that?

You make a fair point though, I assume the doors are also weatherproof :p

I specifically refereed to is because the BMW i3's frunk is not weather proof and much smaller.

The frunk in the Model S and X are both weatherproof and a decent size. No ingress issues either.

I don't think the Zoe or the Lead have a frunk?

Caporegime
I doubt we will ever have cars driving around with no one in the driving seat, not in our lifetime at least. For the same reason we still have human pilots. Autopilots do go wrong and with millions of cars on the road even a 0.5% failure rate is a lot of accidents. Even cruise control goes wrong sometimes, imagine if you couldn't turn it off.

When's the last time a plane went down because of computer error?

When's the last one a plane went down due to human error, while ignoring the computer? ;)

The auto piloted/automated cars on the road being tested now are considerably more reliable than human driven cars at the moment.

Still very tempted by one of these, and regret not putting down a deposit right at the beginning. At the same time I don't think the range is quite there yet, especially in cold (by that I mean -30, not around 0) for what we would want it for.

The autopilot would be a great feature for long drives, where much of it is long straight, half empty roads.

Edit: scratch that, with the announced 310mile/500km range it would probably be enough if I could charge it at before returning those times we would need to use it for longer distances. Remains to be seen how the range will reduce in the cold though. I believe the range of the S just about halves?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Are there any indications of price yet?

If it's £35,000 then it's priced roughly the same as a BMW 320d M Sport Auto, if Tesla can put a lot of support behind lease and PCP deals, I can see them selling quite a few.

I'm not really a fan of the rear proportions of the car, a bit like the 3 and 5 series GT's, but it's not bad.

Man of Honour
Not that I've seen, but model s base is $69k ish and £60k so if that holds true, then about £31k for base model, wouldn't be at all surprised if it's more of a direct price change so closer to £35k

Man of Honour
Why wouldn't you it's one of their main selling points.
There's little or no point buying self drive ATM we don't know how long it will take to implement and the hardware is included in all cars and is just a software unlock you can buy latter. Stick the 3k into savings or other features and buy it later.

Soldato
I don't really see (full) self driving taking off until the roads are adapted to account for it. Too many variables. Chances are by the time it's useful, you might on the verge of your next car after this one.

Back
Top Bottom