The Tesla Thread

Caporegime
Last edited:
Caporegime
I basically want either a model 3 or something similar, a "family" car with some decent performance and range > 200 miles. My gripe was there are absolutely no alternatives to a model 3 at the moment, imo. I may be missing the entire point of EVs but that would be my criteria for getting one. Basically a hot hatch EV or a BMW M Sport EV. :p

How much would an equivalent model 3 car cost but the petrol version. That's going to be the big question in the uk? If the model 3 version cost 35k but a Golf GTi cost 5k less than that then you would need around 3 years to even break even. That is discounting all the positives an ice offers over ev before even factoring in manufacturer support and build quality.

Permabanned
How much would an equivalent model 3 car cost but the petrol version. That's going to be the big question in the uk? If the model 3 version cost 35k but a Golf GTi cost 5k less than that then you would need around 3 years to even break even. That is discounting all the positives an ice offers over ev before even factoring in manufacturer support and build quality.

Yes well, sort of would like one just "because", rather than for any environmental or cost savings. :p

Soldato
Fair enough but you would have a far better built and enjoyable car in the golf GTi for those 3 years and most likely have better residual on it after 3 years anyway. If EV residuals on current UK cars is anything to go by.

How do you choose to calculate depreciation? Versus RRP? Or versus the actual purchase price?

The Leaf is often quoted as one of the worst. But if you bought one two years ago on a competitive deal, you'd have seen relatively little depreciation. £3k-£4k over two years. Similar story for the other common example, the Zoe.

Soldato
As expected then, the platform is very good but build rates and quality could be better. Pretty standard Tesla then! Surprised about how positive he was about the interior given he was directly comparing to Merc and BMW. They have clearly made good progress here. I know the ‘Apple’ style keep it simple is t to everyone’s tastes but it certainly is mine and he seemed to dig it also.

Soldato
"Credible" is a good word, I think. It's what Tesla does; build electric cars that are credible alternatives to their ICE counterparts. Most other companies are delivering compromised EVs that justify those compromises by being (relatively) cheap. If the Model 3 is "credible", then it's achieving its purpose. It's setting itself apart from the competition.

It will be interesting to see if there's any direct competition by the time it hits the UK.

Last edited:
Soldato
He did, it was pretty subtle, he said something along the lines of not wanting to spend too much time looking at the outside.

Seeing as the outside of the car looks pretty good from a design and styling point of view the only reason to say that is to refer to panel gap issues that plague Tesla’s. Though I imagine his car was actually fine which is why he didn’t highlight them directly.

That being said I don’t really know what relevance production rates and Tesla’s financial position are to the actual review of the car. Especially as the information he said was out of date.

Edit: it was at around the 9 min mark. He also said they ‘need to build a lot of them and properly’.

Caporegime
"Credible" is a good word, I think. It's what Tesla does; build electric cars that are credible alternatives to their ICE counterparts. Most other companies are delivering compromised EVs that justify those compromises by being (relatively) cheap. If the Model 3 is "credible", then it's achieving its purpose. It's setting itself apart from the competition.

It will be interesting to see if there's any direct competition by the time it hits the UK.

By direct competition I presume you mean small/mid sized “premium” saloons?

If so then nope, not a chance. There’s likely to be about half a dozen crossover/SUVs and a few hatchbacks in the 200+ mile range however, from premium and mainstream manufacturers.

On the saloon front it’ll be slim pickings for a while. Polestar (Volvo) have announced sort of similar vehicles, and BMW have announced an i4, but neither of them will be available until at least 2020+. I think it’s going to be a bit of an issue for BMW/Audi/Merc if they don’t get their fingers out of their butts on the saloon side of things as Tesla are directly competing against their ICE versions, and I know which “premium” saloon I’d rather have if I was in the market for one.

When/if the Model Y comes out however it will be in a very competitive market, with significant crossover/SUV competition.

Back
Top Bottom