The Tesla Thread

Soldato
So I checked my front tyres at the weekend and the inner edge is down to 1.7mm and the outer edge is about 3.5mm. I'm getting g new fronts next Monday and the alignment checked on Tuesday, but just wanted to check that's not normal? I got about 18k miles out of the front, some kumho tyres (were brand new when I got it). I'll be going for PS4s for the front as that's what I've got on the back (none acoustic).

Soldato
So just had another issue last week. I got caught in a very heavy rainstorm a few weeks ago and on Tuesday I had an error coming up about front right restraint system. Some googling told me about a sensor under the seat (and found a good video). Finally got round to checking today and it's different to the one online (was an American vid). I've raised a service request (as now out of warranty). They've posted '
Diagnosis: Low Voltage Circuit Integrity
Check', however not sure if this is a fix or just a diagnosis (I have messaged but it's sunday). I ask as the estimate is £198 which seems a lot just for a diagnosis.

Last edited:
Soldato
Slight update, the error message has gone from on all the time to intermittent so hopefully it is drying out. It's actually more annoying now though as it 'bongs' a dozen times per drive :p .

Soldato
Just be wary that your 12v battery is not on the way out. I believe that tyre wear is normal and why the recommended rotation, although I'm no expert.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another weird issue I've had. All 4 of my tyres say they are 37 psi. My tyre compressor says they're now 42 (topped them up yesterday thinking they were low). When I used the same compressor on my wife's fiesta, it agreed 100% with her car. I've tried the factory reset option in the service menu (but once once I got to work so not sure what it did).
Are they any reasons why it should underread by so much?

Caporegime
Another weird issue I've had. All 4 of my tyres say they are 37 psi. My tyre compressor says they're now 42 (topped them up yesterday thinking they were low). When I used the same compressor on my wife's fiesta, it agreed 100% with her car. I've tried the factory reset option in the service menu (but once once I got to work so not sure what it did).
Are they any reasons why it should underread by so much?

Have tried a proper pressure reader on the tyres?

Tyre compressors are hardly the most accurate things.

Soldato
I've always found my compressor to be pretty close to what garages (over)fill it to. I don't see why they would be inaccurate. It also doesn't explain why the fiesta was reading the same as the compressor.
I would accept +/- 0.5 bar being the same as a tolerance, but more than that seems excessive.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you driven it since? The sensors only update when driving.
Yes. I topped it up yesterday, then drove to work today. I know it takes about a 1/4 mile before they update (not sure if it's speed related or not). It just strikes me as odd. I've got a second compressor (also ring) so I'll try that and compare.

Associate
About the tyre wear, it is normal to a degree. I have always had more front inner tyre wear but it has gotten worse as the front upper control arms wear.

The control arms are a bad design as they allow some water ingress that will wash out the grease. Meyle make an improved HD version which my car will be getting soon as they now squeak sometimes.

Soldato
I see a bit of variation and also the temperature of the tyres (even when stationary / the outside temp) can have a few degrees of difference

Screenshot-2023-09-25-15-17-01-75-dea0ed4dc7fea9051b966dd91d80d9ae.jpg

It's 19 degrees outside ATM

Soldato
About the tyre wear, it is normal to a degree. I have always had more front inner tyre wear but it has gotten worse as the front upper control arms wear.

The control arms are a bad design as they allow some water ingress that will wash out the grease. Meyle make an improved HD version which my car will be getting soon as they now squeak sometimes.
I actually had mine changed under warranty. I believe the new Tesla version is better sealed, although I have no idea how much they are compared to aftermarket.

For tyre pressures I'll check again at the weekend, as due to ferrying the kids every weekday my tyres don't 'cool off' until quite late. I do see a bit of variation, at cold it measures 37 psi, but when warm there's always a difference. I don't think it's possible to have them the same hot as 1 side of the car will have traveled further, and cornered more etc.

Associate
I had the rear 2 tyres changed at the weekend. Managed just over 31000 miles on them. Fronts aren't low enough yet to change but dude thinks a couple more months will get me there (The lease company won't change them until they get to a certain depth).

Associate
I actually had mine changed under warranty. I believe the new Tesla version is better sealed, although I have no idea how much they are compared to aftermarket.

For tyre pressures I'll check again at the weekend, as due to ferrying the kids every weekday my tyres don't 'cool off' until quite late. I do see a bit of variation, at cold it measures 37 psi, but when warm there's always a difference. I don't think it's possible to have them the same hot as 1 side of the car will have traveled further, and cornered more etc.

My understanding is they didn't really change the design, they still have the plastic cap over the ball joint they just packed the joints with more grease to be fair it seems to have extended the life of them as my car came with revised ones and is only causing issues now at 70,000+ miles.

37psi cold is probably on the low side, I find 43 a good balance between economy performance and comfort on my Model 3 LR with 18" wheels.

Soldato
My understanding is they didn't really change the design, they still have the plastic cap over the ball joint they just packed the joints with more grease to be fair it seems to have extended the life of them as my car came with revised ones and is only causing issues now at 70,000+ miles.

37psi cold is probably on the low side, I find 43 a good balance between economy performance and comfort on my Model 3 LR with 18" wheels.
Yea but they're actually 42, it's the car underreading them by a large amount.

Back
Top Bottom