• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
ray tracing is the future no doubt, but it's still in its infancy. some will want to be pioneers, some would rather wait until the tech has matured (though it's come a long way since the 2xxx launch already)

whether you go red or green depends on where you fall on that (pending AMD getting a good DLSS equivilent up and running and Nvidia getting SAM working).

Caporegime
It's one of those features that is good for certain games but not so much for others. Anyone playing a shooter online in all likelihood will turn it off for better fps, though might well use it for the sp portion where they can "sightsee" a bit more. It's really not a make or break feature yet and will take a while yet before it is.

Associate
It's one of those features that is good for certain games but not so much for others. Anyone playing a shooter online in all likelihood will turn it off for better fps, though might well use it for the sp portion where they can "sightsee" a bit more. It's really not a make or break feature yet and will take a while yet before it is.

but what it really comes down to is what are you really sacrificing for that option? about £25?

i'll be interested to see proper benchmarks with SAM disabled. it doesn't give a true reading of the situation long term if it's a PCIe standard and one card has it enabled and the other still hasn't yet implemented it, which nvidia will likely have done by the time i get my hands on a 5900x. AMD's own benches gave the 6800xt a 5% edge in rasterisation with SAM enabled, which they've admitted can account for upto a 10% performance boost.

Soldato
I don't get the hype around ray tracing it looks very unimpressive in the games I've seen. It's hard to spot the difference in side by side stills, I doubt you would notice actually playing a game and not looking at a puddle.

I'm with you. People are easily sucked in by hype.

For me buying a card to try get 144 fps... Only to then enable a feature that brings me back 2-3 generations in FPS seems bizarre. For what you gain I don't quite get it.

Suspended
We knew it want not going to be as good as Ampere in RT, that's fine, that's how Nvidia can justify higher pricing for 8 and 10GB cards..... for crying out loud.

For those of you who want to run 80 FPS RT instead of 60 FPS and don't mind paying more for cards with VRam that already pushes them to the brink of obsolete? There you go ^^^^ enjoy. :)

Associate
It is weird to me how many seem to act like it's a bad thing that we have competition now. Whether you are pro AMD/Nvidia or a neutral, I just can't see why it's a bad thing at all.
There will definitely be some who will be disappointed if AMD are not the underdog anymore and start charging higher prices.

Soldato
There will definitely be some who will be disappointed if AMD are not the underdog anymore and start charging higher prices.

If they have the best product they have every right to charge more for it. It's Nvidia that started the massive price hikes, I can't blame AMD or Intel (when the time comes) for jumping on that bandwagon.

Not saying I am happy about it or even ok with it, but that's just how it is now.

Soldato
He's got decent contacts (good mates with Corteks) so I'd have to say he may have some info already.

I looked at the slides and watched the AMD presentation.

To match a 3090 I would need to buy a 5950X cpu and a very good motherboard + the new GPU.

That's a lot of cash.
I do hope AMD beats a 3090 on a Intel system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom