• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Did AMD ever officially cancel the reference cards or are you taking rumours to be official statements?
They told distributors and retailers that they wouldn't be restocked. So yes.

And for the announcement to make any sense, they would have to have changed their official position. Which again means that yes, they did discontinue them.

Soldato
And for the announcement to make any sense, they would have to have changed their official position. Which again means that yes, they did discontinue them.
I don't disagree on the fact that they clearly had intentions on discontinuing the ref cards, but companies changing internal positions is different from flip flopping on official statements.

Associate
I don't disagree on the fact that they clearly had intentions on discontinuing the ref cards, but companies changing internal positions is different from flip flopping on official statements.

They've only mentioned having MSRP cards by end of Feb/early March; whether those use the reference design is unknown.

The RDNA2 cards become less and less impressive every day so I'm going back to Nvidia. AMD are going to take a while to catch-up on the software side; I think RDNA3 might be their real breakthrough.

Caporegime
They've only mentioned having MSRP cards by end of Feb/early March; whether those use the reference design is unknown.

The RDNA2 cards become less and less impressive every day so I'm going back to Nvidia. AMD are going to take a while to catch-up on the software side; I think RDNA3 might be their real breakthrough.
It's quite likely that AIB cards at RRP would have been worse quality than the Made By AMD reference cards. Very likely.

In order to protect AIB margins lower quality components would have been used, there's almost no doubt about it.

(I appreciate that the MBA cards are made by PCPartner and not AMD, but for those cards it's likely AMD squeezed their own margins to hit the RRP, for a limited run only.)

Soldato
Continuing the reference cards is only really relevant if they are actually available in sufficient quantities... They can say they are continuing them and still only pump out meagre quantities, leaving the bulk for AIBs.

At sub £600 the 6800XT is honestly a good deal in my opinion, if I could pick up a reference card at msrp I'd be all over it. Same with the 3080, at £650 it's pretty good despite the 10gb but once the price starts going above that I lose interest.

Associate
It's quite likely that AIB cards at RRP would have been worse quality than the Made By AMD reference cards. Very likely.

In order to protect AIB margins lower quality components would have been used, there's almost no doubt about it.

(I appreciate that the MBA cards are made by PCPartner and not AMD, but for those cards it's likely AMD squeezed their own margins to hit the RRP, for a limited run only.)

I'd imagine so. Board partners were stating that margins are slim, hence the heavy prices, but I think the reference cooler was too good and therefore dilutes the higher end cards even more.

Those reference cards should still be available by whoever built them, but I would have expected something like the Red Dragon and Pulse to be priced near MSRP, but offer the same value as something like the Asus TUF. Nvidia did a bit better because their reference cards left room for improvement.

Associate
Continuing the reference cards is only really relevant if they are actually available in sufficient quantities... They can say they are continuing them and still only pump out meagre quantities, leaving the bulk for AIBs.

At sub £600 the 6800XT is honestly a good deal in my opinion, if I could pick up a reference card at msrp I'd be all over it. Same with the 3080, at £650 it's pretty good despite the 10gb but once the price starts going above that I lose interest.

100%, if you can get the card at MSRP, it's a good deal, but going over £700 you're much better off with the RTX 3080.

Caporegime

Exactly.

At £600 it would still be the most expensive PC component I've ever bought. But it would be decent value as a high-refresh 1440p card, given the absolute state of the GPU market in the last few years (thanks, RTX 2000 series).

As you say, above £600 my interest disappears completely. A modest 1440p screen is £450 and a decent one is £900 these days. It all adds up :p

Soldato
Exactly.

At £600 it would still be the most expensive PC component I've ever bought. But it would be decent value as a high-refresh 1440p card, given the absolute state of the GPU market in the last few years (thanks, RTX 2000 series).

As you say, above £600 my interest disappears completely. A modest 1440p screen is £450 and a decent one is £900 these days. It all adds up :p

Tbh I didn't even pay that for my 1440p screen, was £379 for a 21:1 3440x1440 HDR 144Hz with Freesync Premium Pro so seemed decent enough. Would need another big step with someone releasing a Dolby Vision 165hz oled version to make an upgrade worth it and I would happily pay £700-£800 for that tbh.

Soldato

Why do you feel that with RDNA2? If you play with RT I get it isn't the card for you but otherwise seems like the price/performance is spot on with the 6800xt model assuming you get at MSRP but that same for the 3080 models too. And out the two even with the RT performance of the 3090 an extra £400 to gain that over the 6900xt seems like a large hit and would be better to go back to the 3080 anyways. The only is possibly in 3-4 years VRAM may be a little low but I don't think honestly that a problem myself.

Caporegime
Tbh I didn't even pay that for my 1440p screen, was £379 for a 21:1 3440x1440 HDR 144Hz with Freesync Premium Pro so seemed decent enough. Would need another big step with someone releasing a Dolby Vision 165hz oled version to make an upgrade worth it and I would happily pay £700-£800 for that tbh.
Fair enough. Any 21:9 below about £800 is going to be either VA, 60Hz or 1080p tho.

The 27GL850-B is ~£450 (as is the Dell S2721DGF) and the 34GN850-B is £1000 with the 34GP83A about £900. Even at those prices the screens aren't perfect tho. With the monitor market currently it's all about what imperfections you're willing to put up with. Black smearing? IPS glow? Bad backlight bleed? Choose your poison :p

Just in case you're curious where my prices came from :)

e: Your is the iiyama I'm guessing? At that price there's only a couple screens it could be :p

Last edited:
Associate
Why do you feel that with RDNA2? If you play with RT I get it isn't the card for you but otherwise seems like the price/performance is spot on with the 6800xt model assuming you get at MSRP but that same for the 3080 models too. And out the two even with the RT performance of the 3090 an extra £400 to gain that over the 6900xt seems like a large hit and would be better to go back to the 3080 anyways. The only is possibly in 3-4 years VRAM may be a little low but I don't think honestly that a problem myself.

I think that the 6900XT and RTX 3090 are an absolute waste unless you're doing 4K and need every frame you can, even if the card is only marginally better than 1 step down.

RDNA2 is a massive step for AMD but their software needs to catch up. RT will never be great on RNDA2 because it's their first attempt, although I'm sure it'll get better as they have the benefit of the console market to ensure that game studios optimise for AMD - I'd say we'll start seeing improvements within a year.

If you're gaming at 1440p and under, you should be fine waiting out these optimisations. I personally don't care too much about RTX, but DLSS is definitely something that'll give you longevity and hopefully AMD can get something decent out by next year, although it's going to be hard to beat Nvidia who have a lot more experience with that tech.

Soldato
Fair enough. Any 21:9 below about £800 is going to be either VA, 60Hz or 1080p tho.

The 27GL850-B is ~£450 (as is the Dell S2721DGF) and the 34GN850-B is £1000 with the 34GP83A about £900. Even at those prices the screens aren't perfect tho. With the monitor market currently it's all about what imperfections you're willing to put up with. Black smearing? IPS glow? Bad backlight bleed? Choose your poison :p

Just in case you're curious where my prices came from :)

e: Your is the iiyama I'm guessing? At that price there's only a couple screens it could be :p

Tbh I have no real issue with VA. I am looking straight on and tbh haven't got any visible light bleed with it. I would rather that than the IPS glow. And yeah it is the Iiyama, it took a couple of screen replacements to get one I was happy with but once I did it has been really good and the brightness is actually at or close to the 400nits. Also needed a few USB ports cause the Gigabyte one was the same model screen but lacked that for some reason. There was a third I can't remember which seemed to be same screen but had really low like 240/250nit max brightness for no reason.

Soldato
I think that the 6900XT and RTX 3090 are an absolute waste unless you're doing 4K and need every frame you can, even if the card is only marginally better than 1 step down.

RDNA2 is a massive step for AMD but their software needs to catch up. RT will never be great on RNDA2 because it's their first attempt, although I'm sure it'll get better as they have the benefit of the console market to ensure that game studios optimise for AMD - I'd say we'll start seeing improvements within a year.

If you're gaming at 1440p and under, you should be fine waiting out these optimisations. I personally don't care too much about RTX, but DLSS is definitely something that'll give you longevity and hopefully AMD can get something decent out by next year, although it's going to be hard to beat Nvidia who have a lot more experience with that tech.

Tbh we all knew the RDNA2 performance for RT was going to be 30% lower or so. That was like a given considering all the leaks etc. And with the 3080 to the 6800xt the £50 increase for the RT performance is worth it if you play anything with RT (I don't and what have seen isn't really a big deal for me still and probably wont be for another gen or two even). With that yeah the 3090 & 6900xt are high priced but expected as halo products, that been case forever in honesty. I know it isn't great value for my 6900xt I have but yeah. But I would say I feel that the % is useful for myself trying to maintain the 144Hz at 3440x1440p which is that in-between resolution of 1440 & 4k.

I have no issue with their software though tbh. It does what needed and prefer the UI and all that you get through it over GeForce experience etc. I don't need streaming stuff or machinima stuff or anything like that. Just drivers for most part. RiS people say is great but I have had issues but it still better than the image sharpening that Nvidia are using. When they get something out for DLSS I still wont be using it tbh, just like I wouldn't want to use DLSS for Nvidia anyways and am much more wanting to use native resolution myself but get why others do choose it.

I wouldn't say anything makes AMD particularly less impressive because it was all known quantities prior to release from what we was given. Hopefully AMD do keep moving forward like with Ryzen though and tbh I will likely upgrade come RDNA4 if that is what it will be called that gen unless there another 50% jump with their stuff.

Associate
I know it isn't great value for my 6900xt I have but yeah. But I would say I feel that the % is useful for myself trying to maintain the 144Hz at 3440x1440p which is that in-between resolution of 1440 & 4k.

I have no issue with their software though tbh. It does what needed and prefer the UI and all that you get through it over GeForce experience etc. I don't need streaming stuff or machinima stuff or anything like that. Just drivers for most part. RiS people say is great but I have had issues but it still better than the image sharpening that Nvidia are using. When they get something out for DLSS I still wont be using it tbh, just like I wouldn't want to use DLSS for Nvidia anyways and am much more wanting to use native resolution myself but get why others do choose it.

I wouldn't say anything makes AMD particularly less impressive because it was all known quantities prior to release from what we was given. Hopefully AMD do keep moving forward like with Ryzen though and tbh I will likely upgrade come RDNA4 if that is what it will be called that gen unless there another 50% jump with their stuff.

Since you probably got it at MSRP it's not a bad buy as it'll only get better with future updates and as games start to optimise for it (which they will because consoles use the same architecture). I would have done the same if I wanted to go beyond 1440p.

If I can get a decent 6800XT for close to MSRP, I'll take it, but 700+ it'll have to be the RTX 3080, not that we're spoilt for choice at the moment.

Soldato
Since you probably got it at MSRP it's not a bad buy as it'll only get better with future updates and as games start to optimise for it (which they will because consoles use the same architecture). I would have done the same if I wanted to go beyond 1440p.

If I can get a decent 6800XT for close to MSRP, I'll take it, but 700+ it'll have to be the RTX 3080, not that we're spoilt for choice at the moment.

Indeed, tbh I wouldn't touch anything over MSRP. And that was the thing, with prices OcUK generally have had 3080's or 6800XT's when even been in stock it technically only ended up being £100 more at most with some of the high end 3080's higher than even the MSRP of the 6900xt. If I hadn't missed apparently 4 drops in total for the 3080FE I would have had that at £650 first, then missing the 6800xt at £599 and so this was my last go before just waiting till New Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom