• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Tbh I have no real issue with VA. I am looking straight on and tbh haven't got any visible light bleed with it. I would rather that than the IPS glow. And yeah it is the Iiyama, it took a couple of screen replacements to get one I was happy with but once I did it has been really good and the brightness is actually at or close to the 400nits. Also needed a few USB ports cause the Gigabyte one was the same model screen but lacked that for some reason. There was a third I can't remember which seemed to be same screen but had really low like 240/250nit max brightness for no reason.
It's tempting, before I spend frankly ridiculous money on an ultrawide IPS, to just give one of those cheaper VAs a try... although I am expecting to notice the VA dark-level smearing, especially on white text in dark mode. But also smearing in gaming.

If it's truly unbearable I can always send it back, I guess.

Soldato
It's tempting, before I spend frankly ridiculous money on an ultrawide IPS, to just give one of those cheaper VAs a try... although I am expecting to notice the VA dark-level smearing, especially on white text in dark mode. But also smearing in gaming.

If it's truly unbearable I can always send it back, I guess.

Indeed, the smearing I haven't found as bad wit this monitor as some previous so I would say give it a go and as you say always return it :)

Associate
Statement from Hardware unboxed on their YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/post/UgwpWAgG3rz3N8ukXoN4AaABCQ

"Nvidia have officially decided to ban us from receiving GeForce Founders Edition GPU review samples. Their reasoning is that we are focusing on rasterization instead of ray tracing. They have said they will revisit this "should your editorial direction change". More to come "

So because they won't shill for Nvidia, to put it another way. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Statement from Hardware unboxed on their YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/post/UgwpWAgG3rz3N8ukXoN4AaABCQ

"Nvidia have officially decided to ban us from receiving GeForce Founders Edition GPU review samples. Their reasoning is that we are focusing on rasterization instead of ray tracing. They have said they will revisit this "should your editorial direction change". More to come "
This is why.

6900 XT 5% faster than 3090 XT at 1080P on average over many games
WupL9kc.png

6900 XT 2% faster than 3090 XT at 1440P on average over many games
xl7dFEt.png

3090 5% faster than 6900 XT at 2160P on average over many games.
ZtIqwxF.png

It seems pretty fair to me, don't see how anyone can argue otherwise.

Just imagine if hardware unboxed had enabled Smart Access Memory and used a Ryzen 5000 series CPU in those benchmarks. :p

Soldato
Heh.

What they need is some re-education in following reviewing instructions from Nvidia.

Make sure to devote 1/3 of the review to covering our weak performance with raytracing vs AMDs irrelevant performance with raytracing.

Imagine Jensen seething about this free marketing win not being being pushed hard enough by the review minions.

Permabanned
This is why.

WupL9kc.png

xl7dFEt.png

ZtIqwxF.png

Just imagine if hardware unboxed had enabled Smart Access Memory and used a Ryzen 5000 series CPU in those benchmarks. :p

It's fair to ask anyone buying RDNA2, why buy next gen that doesn't do next gen well? You know something is wrong when you get the answer 'because HU says'. To keep a balance, Didn't AMD rightly so drop Jayztwocents at one point?

Just imagine if they had chosen next gen titles with RT and DLSS enabled.

A review site that kept playing down next gen tech, something had to give, they should have known better. AMD have done a great job with RDNA2, but rasterisation is on the way out and as a PC user I demand more eye candy for my money with each upgrade. A console targeted GPU with more cores isn't going to cut it. If I am wrong here, show me, show me AMD's RT showcase. A promise of console games running well on my PC doesn't draw me in either.

Cyberpunk 2077, the most important next gen release so far, is physically jaw dropping once you turn RT on. Where is AMD's RT support? Did CDPR refuse to work with AMD before launch? Even if you don't want RT(really?), look at the benchmarks with DLSS 2 enabled. AMD's promise of 'we're working on it' just doesn't cut it. AMD are not a charity.

Soldato
I think many have no interest in RT until it can be done on mainstream GPUs well enough to be just another setting to tweak. Blowing £700+ just to see reflections and coloured bounced light is a crock.

When it's something <£300 cards can do well, I'm interested

Permabanned
I think many have no interest in RT until it can be done on mainstream GPUs well enough to be just another setting to tweak. Blowing £700+ just to see reflections and coloured bounced light is a crock.

When it's something <£300 cards can do well, I'm interested

That seems to be the misunderstanding by many. RT adds so much more to the environment when done properly. As I've already said and others who have experienced it agreed, Cyberpunk is physically jaw dropping once you enable RT.

As far as card pricing goes, 6800XT/3080 is around the same price and is what we are discussiing. Less than £300 is pretty limiting. A little more will get you what will become mainstream, the 3060Ti will give you some idea of what you are missing.

Soldato
So because they won't shill for Nvidia, to put it another way. :rolleyes:

Nvidia have always insisted on reviewers following their reviewers guide when testing their hardware. Even if that is Nvidia hardware being tested against AMD hardware. That's probably why you're seeing older games being used in reviews instead of newer games designed for the RDNA hardware in consoles, or very heavy RTX titles where DLSS can be used to mitigate Nvidia frame rate drops.

Soldato
That seems to be the misunderstanding by many. RT adds so much more to the environment when done properly. As I've already said and others who have experienced it agreed, Cyberpunk is physically jaw dropping once you enable RT.

As far as card pricing goes, 6800XT/3080 is around the same price and is what we are discussiing. Less than £300 is pretty limiting. A little more will get you what will become mainstream, the 3060Ti will give you some idea of what you are missing.

Honestly having seen Cyberpunk with RT it was nothing to shout about and well overhyped in my view. I use raytracing at work every day to do rendering for Architectural Images, videos and VR walkthroughs and nothing of the RT we are seeing in games is particularly impressive to date in honesty and have just as many issues as none raytraced games.

Permabanned
Honestly having seen Cyberpunk with RT it was nothing to shout about and well overhyped in my view. I use raytracing at work every day to do rendering for Architectural Images, videos and VR walkthroughs and nothing of the RT we are seeing in games is particularly impressive to date in honesty and have just as many issues as none raytraced games.

Seen is not the same as played. Call around to a friend that is setup for it and give it a go. I'm not the only one saying that static screen shots / Youtube videos don't do it justice. This is graphical treat even without RT, but with it just pops.

Associate
This is why.

Removed the images for brevity.

If they are banning HUB for that then does that mean they will ban ComputerBase for https://www.computerbase.de/2020-12...itt_benchmarks_in_sieben_topaktuellen_spielen?

7 new games and the 6900XT wins 5/7 vs the 3090 @ 4k and the 6800XT wins 5/7 vs the 3080 @ 4k. Even if you add CyberPunk in there it is still 5/8 in favour of the AMD cards.

Associate
Game devs lock ray tracing on AMD - it`s AMD fault. :)
Probably Nvidia banning HU is also AMD fault. Because their RT performance is worse, they could have made a better card and then there was no reason for Nvidia to ask reviewers to focus on RTX. :)

Caporegime
Permabanned
Game devs lock ray tracing on AMD - it`s AMD fault. :)
Probably Nvidia banning HU is also AMD fault. Because their RT performance is worse, they could have made a better card and then there was no reason for Nvidia to ask reviewers to focus on RTX. :)

Something has gone wrong if you are reviewing race cars and only measure reversing speed :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom