• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I bet people are cancelling their Nvidia cards now
I just cancelled mine with rival shop. I had a 3090 on order and have been 1st in the queue for 3 weeks and no sign of a card.

I was also 190odd in the queue for a 3080. Both have had my money held for over a month. Not pocket change either. I was Radeon VII last gen and it looks like I will be AMD again this time. I just wish I didn't have to wait until December 8 for the big boy.

Associate
6800xt for me ideally. Although I'd be very tempted if nvidia actually had 3080 stock. They seem so close its a choice of stock right now but I'd prefer the amd on gut instinct.

Soldato
Right, with both new consoles the realistic expectation is that ~6Gb will be needed for both the OS+Game engine, which would typically run on a PCs CPU and use System RAM and that for video processing you have a max of 10Gb.

There's a leap in complexity but it wont be past the PC, it will be to try and catch up with the PC. They're leaping to GPUs which are about mid-tier GPUs on the PC at best. And memory usage that's no better than our high end. Also the simple fact is that as we start to cram more assets into vRAM on the PC the GPU load becomes too high to be playable, the only games we've got that exceed 8Gb of the PC (when measuring actual memory used, not memory allocated) tank the frame rate of even a 3090 into unplayable.

You're not going to cram 10Gb of assets into the vRAM equivalent for the consoles and have their pathetic GPUs use all of that at an acceptable frame rate. We've seen what happens when these GPUs try and play in 1440p or 4k and it's laughable, they have to use dynamic resolutions to scale back when they struggle with frame rate, and scale back all the quality options like shadow quality and asset complexity because the GPUs choke. DF did a review of the technical aspects of Dirt 5 which show all this in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF9A935XFkU

There's loads of info on this topic in the dedicated threads asking if 8Gb and 10Gb are enough.
So in your opinion, the AMD 16GB VRAM is redundant and waste of space and NVIDIA have hit the sweetspot with 8GB and 10GB?

Soldato
Well just got home and watched the event. Seems to me AMD just basically done what everybody said they couldn't. brilliant!
People that were saying that clearly have zero clue about the industry and/or straddling a brand a bit too much.

Watch any interview with Lisa Su even going back to her initial appointment and she made it a very clear what she was going to do and that it would take a few years to get there. She has done an amazing job on refocusing AMD.

Associate
Solid buy at that price if you can get one, esp if at fast 1080p or 1440p. I had no choice with 4k, my 3080FE is coming tomorrow.

It would be at 1440p 144hz, however I dont really play latest games, I play steam games, origin stuff like BF, new need for speed, rocket league etc. I also like to turn AA off. Reckon its still my best bet? Im just really cautious about th 8GB vram but I guess I could always sell it for the same price if I do somehow manage to get one

Soldato
So in your opinion, the AMD 16GB VRAM is redundant and waste of space and NVIDIA have hit the sweetspot with 8GB and 10GB?
ROFL

You are aware that unlike most, when AMD say "boost" clock they mean "this is what it can sometimes achieve for a split second under ideal circumstances"?
"game" clock is what most refer to as boost clock. That is to say the average clock maintained under boost
You are Wrong. It's not limited to 2015MHz.
:D

Soldato
Launch dates in the video, but as for when pre-orders become available on OcuK or elsewhere, I'm not sure. Could vary, best to ask in the OcuK customer services section.
Well when they announced the cpus, Gibbo stated he'd already placed and order with AMD and was waiting for their confirmation to place on the site. I'd imagine a few days and we'll get prices. Stock levels closer to release.

Caporegime
Having used a 5700 XT with 8GB at 5120x1440, there were half a dozen games that easily saturated 8GB and caused stuttering. This was resolved with a 16GB Radeon VII offering similar performance.

I'd be worried with 8-10GB graphics card at 4K resolution to be honest, unless you like lowering texture resolution/HQ textures to get smooth performance.

Associate
You are aware that unlike most, when AMD say "boost" clock they mean "this is what it can sometimes achieve for a split second under ideal circumstances"?
"game" clock is what most refer to as boost clock. That is to say the average clock maintained under boost
spoken like someone eagerly awaiting their 3090

Man of Honour
Vince is the type of man that only wants the best, in life and in video cards. :)

It would be rude not to at this point I feel. :) Im all amd now so why break the habit of a lifetime?

People that were saying that clearly have zero clue about the industry and/or straddling a brand a bit too much.

Watch any interview with Lisa Su even going back to her initial appointment and she made it a very clear what she was going to do and that it would take a few years to get there. She has done an amazing job on refocusing AMD.

It was fun to watch this time at least :) NV finally have proper stern competition. Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom