The "Top Gear", Season 24/25/26 thread

Dup

Dup

Soldato
It's going to be more like an ITV Saturday night game show than a motoring show, a shame, but it was always going to go that way when they try to make it like old-new Top Gear. Harris was growing into his role really well too but I feel this lineup will kill his more interesting involvement in the show IMO.

Soldato
I don't know anything about either of them, but if they're not genuinely interested in cars then it'll probably just become a soulless script-reading exercise.

Edit: I just googled Paddy McGuinness...

...best known for his roles within ITV and Channel 4, presenting game shows such as Take Me Out

Oh good lord it's him :(

Soldato
In all the years McGuinness has been about he's never been one for showing any interest for cars. Makes me wonder if the BBC are going to try changing the format and have him present the studio parts, Flintoff might surprise people when he did the Rally challenge on LOTO he came across as really enjoying that upto the point he wrapped it round a tree.

Soldato
In all the years McGuinness has been about he's never been one for showing any interest for cars. Makes me wonder if the BBC are going to try changing the format and have him present the studio parts, Flintoff might surprise people when he did the Rally challenge on LOTO he came across as really enjoying that upto the point he wrapped it round a tree.

Paddy did a series of stars in their cars last year on the travel channel and does like his 80`s cars

Man of Honour
If they are going for what I think then they'd be better of switching out McGuinness for someone more along the lines of David Mitchell but I'll keep an open mind.

Associate
McGuinness is a weird choice - are we going to get Keith Lemon next?

I could see Flintoff possibly surprising - just as a driver and another autocue puppet.

Yes, I know that Top Gear moved most of their content from traditional reviews to "events", but you still arguably felt that the journalistic background of Clarkson & May helped to develop the scripts into something more than McGuinness traditional "Likey, no-likey!".

tbh, I think James Martin might have been a good choice tho

Soldato
Initially thought it could be John McGuinness ... did they try for Guy Martin ?

but - if you heard the Tiff interview on r4, how can the bbc now market this, beyond the uk shores -

Man of Honour
McGuinness is a weird choice - are we going to get Keith Lemon next?

I could see Flintoff possibly surprising - just as a driver and another autocue puppet.

Yes, I know that Top Gear moved most of their content from traditional reviews to "events", but you still arguably felt that the journalistic background of Clarkson & May helped to develop the scripts into something more than McGuinness traditional "Likey, no-likey!".

tbh, I think James Martin might have been a good choice tho

I think one aspect is they are trying to find people Chris can work off of to get a bit more natural back and forth in the studio, etc. so maybe it will work maybe it won't. I think it is good to see them trying something a bit different though.

Soldato
I can't see this working any better than the previous combo tbh

The BBC is flogging another dead horse at this point.

yea it's rubbish now, they need real petrolheads........... i only ever watch the Horrror Channel anyway, i'd rather watch Dead Snow Zombies ripping your guts out than boring crap like ``Strictly``...or ``Holby City``............... the BBC to me has had it, everything you need is on Youtube.

They should just admit firing Clarkson was the stupidest thing theyd ever done and take him back.

it's because he threw a punch..............who cares, just get him back.

the BBC has become boring, it's too scared to broadcast anything interesting that might cause offence, it's dull and mediocre now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
the BBC to me has had it, everything you need is on Youtube.

I notice that a lot of the younger generation these days are glued to YT and barely aware of what is on the TV unless they are the type invested in stuff like Strictly.

Soldato
There is nothing really worth watching on the BBC anymore. Not even comedy which is what they used to be renowned for. It's almost all trash. These days even BBC news is a bit...

I haven't paid their tax for a year and don't miss it.

Last edited:
Soldato
i have no idea what's on tv, only on my Horror channel number 70, the rest of the time i'm on YT or Ebay..............dreaming about that Drag car i'll never buy !

Top Gear was great back then but never that good for the detail stuff that interests me, for facts and figures/reviews etc nothing beats Youtube.
because When i see the non-Youtube reviews they're all rubbish, i.e what they say about the STI is just garbage, you only hear the truth on Youtube on a proper subscribers channel.

the STI reviews will be bias yes, but what you detect is enthusiasm from a genuine motorhead and not some jumped up Autocar journalist that says the bumpy ride breaks his bones and makes his kids cry...................oh my God just **** off !

Caporegime
I can't see this working any better than the previous combo tbh

I liked LeBlanc. Reid worked given the right space. Harris couldn't make the jump from YouTube to TV but despite that I think they should be looking to YouTube rather than established TV talent. Henry Catchpole or Alex Goy, for example, would be brilliant.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I notice that a lot of the younger generation these days are glued to YT and barely aware of what is on the TV unless they are the type invested in stuff like Strictly.

For me this is an effect rather than a cause. I used to love Discovery and Nat Geo, even Euronews in the background. Nowadays it's all reality show drivel and charity ads. TV died for me many years ago.

Back
Top Bottom