• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Turing RTX 2080 Ti Owners Thread

Associate
The so called wasted space is wasted by other ports tho. I wouldnt classify the DVI as legacy considering its still on many newly sold monitors today and more DVI displays still get sold than DP displays. No way is DVI is in the same class as VGA.
A DVI port (including the securing screws) takes up the space of two DP or HDMI ports. Using DP-to-DVI cables means you can then run two DVI monitors. There was a time when you needed dual-link DVI to drive higher resolutions off a single cable but DP has overtaken DVI in that regard, and then some.

Just use convertor cables. They do exist. Unless you're using DVI-A in which case...get a modern monitor.

Associate
Not seen it mentioned recently but only a few days left I think now for a first taste of RT. Battlefield V being released on the 9th Nov!
Hopefully get some benchies over the weekend. Sounds as though cpu will play big role in RT performance so might be a bit cryptic exactly how good the cards actually are.

Soldato
Not seen it mentioned recently but only a few days left I think now for a first taste of RT. Battlefield V being released on the 9th Nov!

I don't believe it will support Ray Tracing on release. I think it will also require windows RS5 (win10 18/09) and the DXR extensions, and Microsoft pulled RS5 over a number of issues. Personally I'll be a bit gutted if it is available from the off as I can't upgrade to RS5 without losing my CPU overclocks thanks to the broken microcode updates it forces on users (Only really a problem for overclocked Broadwell-E CPUs).

Soldato
Looking forward to it! Enjoyed BFV beta a lot more than I have playing bf1.

Finally will get an insight into rtx and possibly dlss performance too.

Not unless Microsoft release a stable version of their 1809 update in the next couple of days. Don't think windows 10 supports ray tracing without this update.

@HazardO beat me to it :)

Soldato
Not unless Microsoft release a stable version of their 1809 update in the next couple of days. Don't think windows 10 supports ray tracing without this update.

@HazardO beat me to it :)
Have they not sorted that out yet? This was some time ago (Sept?). I thought they had continued the rollout a bit later when they fixed an issue, or did that not include the RT stuff?.
Apparently DLSS might be included too with the Battlefield V release. Seems nothing completely certain. Will see what happens on the 9th I suppose :).
My PC is showing 1809 version installed on the 4th Oct. I do remember it blue-screening though with an AMD file related error during the update :rolleyes:.

Soldato
Have they not sorted that out yet? This was some time ago (Sept?). I thought they had continued the rollout a bit later when they fixed an issue, or did that not include the RT stuff?.
Apparently DLSS might be included too with the Battlefield V release. Seems nothing completely certain. Will see what happens on the 9th I suppose :).
My PC is showing 1809 version installed on the 4th Oct. I do remember it blue-screening though with an AMD file related error during the update :rolleyes:.

They started the Rollout of the October Update and then pulled it after they discovered people were having problems. If I was you, I would roll back to the previous version and wait until they release the proper fixed version. They restarted the update on the insider channels, but, stopped that after further issues were found.

You might not be having issues at present, but, Windows 1809 in it's current form is very, very flawed in regards to both security and stability.

Soldato
A DVI port (including the securing screws) takes up the space of two DP or HDMI ports. Using DP-to-DVI cables means you can then run two DVI monitors. There was a time when you needed dual-link DVI to drive higher resolutions off a single cable but DP has overtaken DVI in that regard, and then some.

Just use convertor cables. They do exist. Unless you're using DVI-A in which case...get a modern monitor.

You still dont get it.

I am pointing out there will be more people who have a DVI display than people who need 2 or 3 hdmi or 2 or 3 DP's.

When you already have a DP and a hdmi port on a card, a DVI has far more value than 2 extra DP or 2 extra HDMI ports especially as DP can be daisy chained.

If we take myself as an example DP vs DVI?

Both handle my monitor native res with clean signal 1440p 60hz.
DVI is reliable.
DP due to the complicated and buggy nature of the tech if I turn off my monitor and then turn it back on again it stays in perpetual sleep mode. The monitor has a buggy DP implementation.
There is a few people who have similar issues with DP sleep issues, of which have no resolution, they fixed their issues by using hdmi or DVI, hdmi is a tv not monitor technology so is funny that has took priority over DVI on PC components.

So given DP has daisy chaining why do we need more than 1 DP on a graphics card? You say buy a convertor, I say daisy chain your displays.

Also I will never upgrade my monitor unless there is a proper reason to, upgrading a monitor just to get a working DP, so spending £300+ for that is a huge waste of cash, I am not a bottomless pit of money. Which brings me to the real reason I think DVI got retired, planned obsolescence. I wonder if the monitor vendors get discounts on their gsync chips in return for nvidia generating monitor sales with the move.

Obviously the day will come I will be forced to change, one day my 1080ti will not be sufficient, then I will very likely have to buy a new monitor, since the hdmi port on is used by the ps4, and the DP on it is too buggy.

Associate
their issues by using hdmi or DVI, hdmi is a tv not monitor technology so is funny that has took priority over DVI on PC components.
HDMI runs vr head sets though.
I have had no problems with dp. My second monitor dell u2412m is over 7 years old and has dp so it's not exactly new tech.

Planned obsolessence forces consumers to buy new tech aswell. I miss vga and vhs :(

Soldato
uMvikXJ.jpg

I wonder what is going to win @2160p.:)

giphy.gif

Soldato
HDMI runs vr head sets though.
I have had no problems with dp. My second monitor dell u2412m is over 7 years old and has dp so it's not exactly new tech.

Planned obsolessence forces consumers to buy new tech aswell. I miss vga and vhs :(

Sorry was in a mood, I wont go on about this more in this thread. MY point was DVI displays are still been manufactured and sold, but I think we should drop this debate. I will just keep my 1080ti as long as it performs well which should be at least 3 years, and then at that point I will cross the bridge of the problem I will have at hand.

Associate
Looking to pick up 2080ti towards the end of the month to replace my current GTX 1070 as recently switched to 4K Sony AF9 OLED, my only concern is my ancient X58 setup and X5650. Will this CPU @4.4Ghz hold out a little longer until Zen2 arrives or will I be massively holding back the 2080ti? I did fancy the i9 9900K but not been impressed now released and would like to see what AMD can offer.

Associate
New to forum, I somehow managed to talk myself into spending over a grand on a graphics card even though I know new tech is around the corner and the card has issues, so decided to join up to report any issues/non issues I find.

I'm not posting a picture of a box lol, I'll post my build when finished (not installed yet) and hopefully people can give me tips.

Soldato
Looking to pick up 2080ti towards the end of the month to replace my current GTX 1070 as recently switched to 4K Sony AF9 OLED, my only concern is my ancient X58 setup and X5650. Will this CPU @4.4Ghz hold out a little longer until Zen2 arrives or will I be massively holding back the 2080ti? I did fancy the i9 9900K but not been impressed now released and would like to see what AMD can offer.

It should be ok at 4k as it doesn’t require much cpu power. If you plan on getting the Ti anyway then you might as well just install it into the x58 system and benchmark it. See if you are getting results close to others.

Back
Top Bottom