The Ultimate Starter Guide for the New Years Resolution Army!

Man of Honour
As its beginners thread, I'll ask here.
There's lots of different weight training, what are the pros and cons of each.
Most people just do standard free wrights, then there's things like kettlebell, sandbag and more unusual ones like flipping tires.

Is there much difference between them. Do they achieve different things. Is one better for building up the stabilising muscles. Weights always seem to precisely balanced, when picking up stuff day to day in the job or heat ever generally aren't so properly balanced.

Soldato
You're a runner, so you have legs that are riven with slow, oxidative muscles, and don't move particularly well. And aren't strong! ;) :D

Joking aside, are you actually doing any leg work?

Further aside, you can do things like weighted pistol squats, single leg squats, push-ups, inverted rows (under your dining table), chinups, etc.

You will never look like you lift very much: for that, you (pretty much) need to lift bigger stuff.

Personally (bear in mind I am a wannbe-weightlifter), I'd give up all the running and football and use all that spare time for the gym/family/other half. :)

Points taken.

I don't really want to body build as such and I'm quite a shy guy so would feel intimidated hitting a body building gym probably which is why I like running.

Will look up what you say and check things out.

One other question, if I do hit the gym is it recommended to go with a plan like on the first page or just go for a session with a trainer and get a feel for the weights?

What do you guys do when there is a queue for the bench do you do your 3 reps then give up the bench.

I can imagine there's a lot of January wannabes going at the moment. :p

I wanted to start last November but had a crushing end of year work schedule :( not to mention I now have to work 2.5 hours more a week since January :(

Man of Honour
As its beginners thread, I'll ask here.
There's lots of different weight training, what are the pros and cons of each.
Most people just do standard free wrights, then there's things like kettlebell, sandbag and more unusual ones like flipping tires.

Is there much difference between them. Do they achieve different things. Is one better for building up the stabilising muscles. Weights always seem to precisely balanced, when picking up stuff day to day in the job or heat ever generally aren't so properly balanced.

The different exercise 'equipment', 'modalities', fads/whatever exist for a particular reason - I can't decide if it's a chicken or egg situation...

People are different and therefore get a buzz out of different things when it comes to fitness/exercise. Some people think boxing is awesome, others prefer a slow, steady and - ultimately - pointless march on a treadmill. The point is that they are doing something to maintain a "higher than baseline" activity.

Businesses know this, and will therefore come up with new ideas to get people spending money on kit/classes (weight bags, boxercise, yogalatezumbumsandbodycombat, etc.).

In terms of the different types of weights, they aim to achieve slightly different things through different means:

- Traditional weights: very balanced, etc. but ultimately the only way to lift big weights safely and get strong/big in a particular (balanced) plane. If the weight wasn't balanced, the lifter would get bigger on one side than the other, or suffer from mobility problems due to over-development/strengthening of one muscle group instead of all involved in the movement (agonist/antagonist/etc.).
- Other stuff: you'll find most committed athletes/strongmen/whatever actually spend time getting strong on traditional weights, and then move to things like tyre-flipping/asymmetrical loading as conditioning work: they are strong, so it's time to put those muscles to use.
- Kettle bells offer specific forms of movement which can help specific things if done properly. The problem is most attempts by people (that I've seen, at least) to do these exercises completely miss the point (KB swings, for instance, but done with elegantly flexed/extended spines, etc.).

So there are reasons most of this stuff exists, but you'll find a lot of people don't actually know how to/why they exist or how to get the most benefit from them.

Points taken.

I don't really want to body build as such and I'm quite a shy guy so would feel intimidated hitting a body building gym probably which is why I like running.

Will look up what you say and check things out.

One other question, if I do hit the gym is it recommended to go with a plan like on the first page or just go for a session with a trainer and get a feel for the weights?

What do you guys do when there is a queue for the bench do you do your 3 reps then give up the bench.

I can imagine there's a lot of January wannabes going at the moment. :p

I wanted to start last November but had a crushing end of year work schedule :( not to mention I now have to work 2.5 hours more a week since January :(

First things first: the only person who will pay any attention to you in the gym is you. Nobody else will care, unless:

- they are admiring what you're doing;
- you're doing something stupid.

The likelihood of the first happening is low because you're starting out, and if you do your research and be sensible about your approach to the gym, the second won't happen. In other words: don't worry about it.

Secondly you are not going to get huge (or even noticeably bigger than you currently are) without a lot of work and food: if it was that easy, everybody who want to would look like Arnie. As I'm sure you have probably noticed, very few people actually do... generally because it is very, very difficult and takes a lot of time and effort (we're talking years, here). You can get better muscle perfusion and glycogen storage from resistance exercise (making the muscles appear bigger because they're being used more), but if you want actual, structural growth, prepare for the long haul. :)

Finally: ignore most PTs, as they are generally there to sell you spaces on classes, or cheap improvements that will either damage you in the long run (partial reps that allow you to lift more, in a narrow range of movement, that cause muscle imbalance and ultimately injury), or not help at all (bad programming).

The OP contains a balanced routine for all-round muscle work that will help you achieve what you want. However, if you want something more suited to your specific objectives, ask in the GymRats thread. :)

Soldato
Started going to the Gym in Dec/January.

I have been doing the following in about an hour session 3 times a week.

Star track 10 mins level 7 (Machine is a killer!)
Arm extension 30 reps
Chest press 30 reps
30 steps ups with Bulgarian bag (red one)
1 minute constant boxing
20 reps full up straps
35 rope pulls
10m / 100 calls rowing machine lvl 8
5 mins hand bike lvl8
15 mins 100 cals cross trainer.

So far lost a stone (Went from 16st to 15 in a month) But not sure if its down to the gym or giving up crisps and chocolate.

Is there anything I should be doing more or less of? Usually ill get 100 cals done on an exercise bike as-well.

Age is 32 Weight is 15 Stone.

Took an hour with a personal trainer and it was pretty much the same as what I am doing.

Man of Honour
Started going to the Gym in Dec/January.

I have been doing the following in about an hour session 3 times a week.

Star track 10 mins level 7 (Machine is a killer!)
Arm extension 30 reps
Chest press 30 reps
30 steps ups with Bulgarian bag (red one)
1 minute constant boxing
20 reps full up straps
35 rope pulls
10m / 100 calls rowing machine lvl 8
5 mins hand bike lvl8
15 mins 100 cals cross trainer.

So far lost a stone (Went from 16st to 15 in a month) But not sure if its down to the gym or giving up crisps and chocolate.

Is there anything I should be doing more or less of? Usually ill get 100 cals done on an exercise bike as-well.

Age is 32 Weight is 15 Stone.

Took an hour with a personal trainer and it was pretty much the same as what I am doing.

A better, more structured routine like those aluded to in the opening post would serve you better for the 'weights' aspect of it. :)

Soldato
Following the plan which Steedie layed out in the original post, is it normal to not be sweating as heavily on the chest, shoulder and tris day the other two? I'm assuming they're not as taxing as the compound movements of legs / back day which would explain it.

Soldato
Of course! I wouldn't bother going if I didn't, it just seems chest and arms are a much smaller muscle group so don't get the heart rate going the same way as a 100kg+ deadlift, 50kg lunges or 80kg+ squats. My chest, shoulder and general arm strength seem to be severely lacking at the moment.

Associate
Hi,

Just found this post as I'm considering starting at the gym and I think the guide is something I was looking for.

However, something that isn't mentioned is actual starting weights. I know that this can obviously depend on each individuals size/strength etc. But what would be considered as reasonable starting weights say for "Joe Average"?

Also how much should be added to the weights being used and how soon?

Like I said it's clearly different for each person, but any ideas or pointers on determining a starting point?

Regards

Man of Honour
OP
Starting weights completely depend on the person

Pick a weight that feels comfortable enough, but will push you in finishing the set. If it's not burning after 5-6 reps, it's probably too light. I appreciate that's unhelpful, but I could tell you to start on 30kg for bench press, and you might be able to jump on straight at 60kg if you're naturally strong, I know of people who have done 60kg easily and never benched before

Associate
Starting weights completely depend on the person

Pick a weight that feels comfortable enough, but will push you in finishing the set. If it's not burning after 5-6 reps, it's probably too light. I appreciate that's unhelpful, but I could tell you to start on 30kg for bench press, and you might be able to jump on straight at 60kg if you're naturally strong, I know of people who have done 60kg easily and never benched before

Thanks for the reply.

Not unhelpful at all, I thought this might be the case.

One other question.... is it best to keep the same weight for the 3 cycles or increase slightly on the 2nd, then again on the 3rd?

Regards

Soldato
As posted in the rats thread, I'm looking at gaining some weight and just being a bit better with myself in 2015.

Quick outline; 26, 5ft8 or so, 130lbs, quite skinny. Current exercise for me is the commute to work via my bike or occasional walk (20 minutes each way on the bike, about an hour walking) or 5 a side on a Monday nights. Preference is to do gym in the mornings before I go to work.

Looking at the bits provided here is very useful, thanks. I've looked at videos of that routine and for me it kinda looks intimidating starting on just weights would something like this program be of a similar benefit? http://bit.ly/1u6yalm

Also diet/food stuff, is there anywhere online which has a rough plan that someone like me could stick to relatively easily?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That Muscle & Fitness one looks a bit poor:

- no deadlifts;
- no 'proper' core work;
- no squats until week 2;
- upright rows in a smith machine;
- crunches.

Avoid it.

Regarding diets, this is a very individual thing: you are pretty skinny, so just eating more of what you currently do will help no end. :)

Soldato
Ta. I'll give the suggested one a look into a bit more.

As for my diet it's OK in that I get three meals but often find myself lacking time due to work to eat more during mornings/afternoons. I'll have a look at something later.

Also shoes, just any pair of trainers for the most part? I like my New Balance 373s and if I could grab another cheap pair that'd be handy. Suggestions welcome, obviously.

Back
Top Bottom