The Ultimate Starter Guide for the New Years Resolution Army!

Soldato
Thanks chaps. Little worried I'll overkill it as currently I'll be doing:

Mon weights
Tues squash
Weds weights
Thurs swimming
Fri weights
Sat rest
Sun rest

Sound okay or too much?

Soldato
I've got some whey protein powder/shake for post work outs, some protien based flapjacks for between meals snackage and have added bananas etc. to cereals in the AM. Not sure what else to do though tbh.

Man of Honour
I've got some whey protein powder/shake for post work outs, some protien based flapjacks for between meals snackage and have added bananas etc. to cereals in the AM. Not sure what else to do though tbh.

Post your diet up for us to have a look at because from that little snippet it's not sounding great to be honest.

Soldato
Typical day tends to be:

Breakfast
Cereal such as branflakes, weetabix or brown toast. Sometimes adding fruit.

Lunch
Sandwiches, thins or baguettes. used to eat crisps and chocolate but have dropped these. Not sure what to replace them with though other than fruit, flapjack type snacks.

Dinner
Usually pasta based dishes, stir fry or chicken and veg. All prepped from scratch so no ready meals at least. Usually a yoghurt for desert if I have one.

I've cut alcohol out of my diet for now until Feb as I was getting in the habit of sinking two or three pints 3 or 4 times a week at home, at least in the run up to Christmas.

Soldato
This is a great post. I've been lurking around the Gym threads for quite a while now, without posting too much really. As it can be quite intimidating for the leaner folk like myself :p

Been going to the gym on and off since Nov 2012. I've not had any plan or routine to stick to, so its very much been... Go to Gym, do X Y Z, not really knowing why I'm doing it, then going home. I feel like I'm working hard when I'm there, but I often find myself just picking any free equipment and doing something random rather than following routines.

I believe I've also got a fairly terrible diet. Generally always skip breakfast, lunch is normally just sandwiches of some sort, or pasta. Snacks of chocolate bar and stuff that comes in my graze box! :/ Dinner can be a mixture of things. tend to eat a lot of chicken, beef, pasta, rice, sweet potato.

This post has really made me realise that I certainly need to get on a proper routine in place, as well as sort out my diet. Especially now pre-season for American Football is coming to an end.

I may well start a training log on here and get some pictures posted, etc. No doubt will be asking for quite a bit of advice :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Typical day tends to be:

Breakfast
Cereal such as branflakes, weetabix or brown toast. Sometimes adding fruit.

Lunch
Sandwiches, thins or baguettes. used to eat crisps and chocolate but have dropped these. Not sure what to replace them with though other than fruit, flapjack type snacks.

Dinner
Usually pasta based dishes, stir fry or chicken and veg. All prepped from scratch so no ready meals at least. Usually a yoghurt for desert if I have one.

I've cut alcohol out of my diet for now until Feb as I was getting in the habit of sinking two or three pints 3 or 4 times a week at home, at least in the run up to Christmas.

tom_e was right: that does not sound great at all.

There is a lot of gluten/wheat/starch in that diet that will make you feel both tired and not full for very long, and a distinct lack of protein and whatnot.

More bacon, eggs, salad, tuna/mercury-based protein, nuts, etc.

Soldato
tom_e was right: that does not sound great at all.

There is a lot of gluten/wheat/starch in that diet that will make you feel both tired and not full for very long, and a distinct lack of protein and whatnot.

More bacon, eggs, salad, tuna/mercury-based protein, nuts, etc.

Hmm okay thanks. Is there another thread discussing this type of stuff? I don't want to clog up this one with various food options that's all. Sounds like I need a big shake up.

Man of Honour
Good thread.

What would be a decent percentage split of calories between protein, carbs and fats, for losing weight? Bearing in mind I don't know my lean body mass. A generalised response is perfectly fine!

Man of Honour
Good thread.

What would be a decent percentage split of calories between protein, carbs and fats, for losing weight? Bearing in mind I don't know my lean body mass. A generalised response is perfectly fine!

As long as you're on a calorie deficit (broadly speaking) and getting sufficient brotein (1.2-1.8g per kgbw), you can split the carbs and fats in a manner that suits you. I prefer fats to carbs, but that is personal preference.

There are any number of ways to 'cut', but they all follow the same principle: aim for a calorie deficit with high protein content.

You do need to work out you BMR, however, for a reasonable approximation of your daily calorie total. :)

Soldato
Ah ha, good post!

Couple of questions.

Me and my girlfriend are both looking to loose some weight, get rid of some flabby bits and basically get a better beach body. Plus, I'm wanting to tone up. She's of the view that cardio and classes are the way forward and won't entertain weights. I'm of the view that weights/resistance is the way forward and cardio won't help much.

I'm just looking for the best way to achieve our aims together, in the best way.

Diet will be OK, I just need to sort out my portion sizes and cut down on the booze a bit and she needs to give up smoking.

Man of Honour
Cardio really isn't even needed to lose fat. I've never used it when cutting, and a lot of people who are really lean don't either.

If you find a form of cardio that you enjoy, then great. Girls see great benefit from doing weights (properly, not using tiny dumbbells and a million reps). Muscle gain will be slow, but any muscle added will accentuate attractive feminine features (think legs and bum).

Soldato
So that's day one down and even got to work early! I'm following the OP routine so just did Chest/Tri this morning. Feels good to be back exercising again. I'm going to feel that tomorrow despite the light weights.

Man of Honour
As long as you're on a calorie deficit (broadly speaking) and getting sufficient brotein (1.2-1.8g per kgbw), you can split the carbs and fats in a manner that suits you. I prefer fats to carbs, but that is personal preference.

There are any number of ways to 'cut', but they all follow the same principle: aim for a calorie deficit with high protein content.

You do need to work out you BMR, however, for a reasonable approximation of your daily calorie total. :)

Soldato
Hi guys,

Been up at 79 KG last March and finally got it down to 65KG in Dec I'm 5' 6" (168cm) so this feels finally like a good weight for me.

Love running and run 3-4 times per week between 7-10KM each time.

However I now feel and look like a runner so strong legs but not much up top and would like to put a bit of muscle ontop.

Read the thread but really work, and home life sees me not having time for 3 sessions in Gym per week + 3 running and football as well :(

How do you guys manage the time?

Suppose I need to give up 1 or maybe two of the runs (dislike running machines in gyms)

Even then I run during lunch break but there isn't a gym near me (need to walk don't have a car in town) to allow me to go at lunch.

TL;DR version

Is there anyway of achieving some gains from home?

Man of Honour
You're a runner, so you have legs that are riven with slow, oxidative muscles, and don't move particularly well. And aren't strong! ;) :D

Joking aside, are you actually doing any leg work?

Further aside, you can do things like weighted pistol squats, single leg squats, push-ups, inverted rows (under your dining table), chinups, etc.

You will never look like you lift very much: for that, you (pretty much) need to lift bigger stuff.

Personally (bear in mind I am a wannbe-weightlifter), I'd give up all the running and football and use all that spare time for the gym/family/other half. :)

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Looking for some nutritional advice / review. I have started a log: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18572107 which gives an idea of what I am doing and what I want to achieve.

One area I have always suffered with is eating. I have tried to build a food plan that I think will help me lose weight, while still ensuring I have plenty of energy. I am concerned that I might not have got the balance right however. Intake today has been as follows:

Breakfast
Musesli (50g) with Onken Cherry Biopot Yogurt (90g) and 200ml Grapefruit Juice

Snack 1:
Dried Fruit, Nuts and Seeds (44g)

Lunch:
Cherry Tomatoes (100g)
wholemeal thins
Piri Piri Flavoured Chicken Breast (95g)
little Gem Lettuce (100g)
Cucumber (100g)
Mayonnaise (2 tbsp)

Snack 2
Fruit and Nut and Seed mix (44g)

Dinner
Jacket Potato (150g)
Venison Grill Steak (120g)
Brocolli (100g)

Snack 3
Banana (100g)
Semi Skimmed Milk (1 pt)

Thoughts / suggestions / tweaks would be much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom