***The Vapers Lounge***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Depends on what it is. Fruity / drink type ones I find are good to go right away (But better after 2-3 days)

Food type ones around a week.

Also depends on where you get the concentrate from etc. But that is pretty much what I do with all mine.

Underboss
P=V^2 / R

So

Power = (Voltage x Voltage) / Resistivity

So, in essence, whenever you change voltage OR power, assuming the resistance of the coil is the same, you change BOTH.

Example. You have a 1 ohm coil (for ease of calculation).

So, if you fire 4.2 volts over the coil you get (4.2 x 4.2) / 1 = 17.64 Watts.

Now, you can change the voltage to 4, so you get 16 watts.

Or, you could have fired a 1.5 ohm coil at 4.2 volts, giving you 11.76 watts.

Or, you could have changed the watts, say to 10 (on the 1 ohm coil). This would give:

10 = V^2 / 1
10 = V^2 (Multiply both sides by 1)
Root 10 = V
V = 3.16 volts

Had this been the 1.5 ohm coil, V^2 = 15, so V = 3.87 volts.

Basically, what it comes down to is a balanced equation. You have 3 variables, resistance, power and voltage. When you make adjustments, the resistance stays the same, as it is the same coil. So whatever adjustment you make, Power or Voltage, it affects the other variable such that the equation remains balanced.

This is a basic misunderstanding of the physics behind the device. When you change two variables, only the last change is viable. So vaping at 10.5 watts, then changing the voltage, means you are putting out whatever power is given as a result of the voltage across that coil. Yes, you can change either Volts or Watts, but it is the LAST change only that is relevant. It COMPLETELY negates any change to the other variable. When you swap from voltage to power, you are changing the power to give a certain voltage over the coil, and you are in Power mode, NOT voltage mode. And vice versa.

In this instance, assuming he changed wattage first, then voltage, as his statement reads, he actually would have been vaping at 4.8 volts, and 4.1 volts. The ACTUAL power (wattage) he was vaping at would entirely have depended on what resistance coil he was vaping at that voltage.

Similarly, if he had changed voltage first, then power, he would have been vaping at 10.5 watts, and 8 watts, with the voltage applied to the coil completely dependant on the resistance of that coil, at that wattage.

EDIT: It is also a dangerous game rebuilding your own coils when you haven't really grasped the basic Physical concept of what is ACTUALLY happening. You SHOULD be okay on mainstream VV / VW mods, as they wont fire a low resistance coil, but make sure you UNDERSTAND what you are doing if you decide to throw a build on a mech mod that doesn't have any protection circuitry.

Well that's me educated! Thanks xs2

Soldato
Depends on what it is. Fruity / drink type ones I find are good to go right away (But better after 2-3 days)

Food type ones around a week.

Also depends on where you get the concentrate from etc. But that is pretty much what I do with all mine.

I only go for the fruit ones. I've got some cappella concentrate but they don't seem that strong even at 20%

Man of Honour
P=V^2 / R

So

Power = (Voltage x Voltage) / Resistivity

So, in essence, whenever you change voltage OR power, assuming the resistance of the coil is the same, you change BOTH.

Example. You have a 1 ohm coil (for ease of calculation).

So, if you fire 4.2 volts over the coil you get (4.2 x 4.2) / 1 = 17.64 Watts.

Now, you can change the voltage to 4, so you get 16 watts.

Or, you could have fired a 1.5 ohm coil at 4.2 volts, giving you 11.76 watts.

Or, you could have changed the watts, say to 10 (on the 1 ohm coil). This would give:

10 = V^2 / 1
10 = V^2 (Multiply both sides by 1)
Root 10 = V
V = 3.16 volts

Had this been the 1.5 ohm coil, V^2 = 15, so V = 3.87 volts.

Basically, what it comes down to is a balanced equation. You have 3 variables, resistance, power and voltage. When you make adjustments, the resistance stays the same, as it is the same coil. So whatever adjustment you make, Power or Voltage, it affects the other variable such that the equation remains balanced.

This is a basic misunderstanding of the physics behind the device. When you change two variables, only the last change is viable. So vaping at 10.5 watts, then changing the voltage, means you are putting out whatever power is given as a result of the voltage across that coil. Yes, you can change either Volts or Watts, but it is the LAST change only that is relevant. It COMPLETELY negates any change to the other variable. When you swap from voltage to power, you are changing the power to give a certain voltage over the coil, and you are in Power mode, NOT voltage mode. And vice versa.

In this instance, assuming he changed wattage first, then voltage, as his statement reads, he actually would have been vaping at 4.8 volts, and 4.1 volts. The ACTUAL power (wattage) he was vaping at would entirely have depended on what resistance coil he was vaping at that voltage.

Similarly, if he had changed voltage first, then power, he would have been vaping at 10.5 watts, and 8 watts, with the voltage applied to the coil completely dependant on the resistance of that coil, at that wattage.

EDIT: It is also a dangerous game rebuilding your own coils when you haven't really grasped the basic Physical concept of what is ACTUALLY happening. You SHOULD be okay on mainstream VV / VW mods, as they wont fire a low resistance coil, but make sure you UNDERSTAND what you are doing if you decide to throw a build on a mech mod that doesn't have any protection circuitry.

This is a great explanation. I've got a basic grounding in electronics and the whole variable wattage claim of these ecig batterys always got me thinking.

I must admit being a bit of a dumb ass I though vw ?, wth is that... as you can't vary that without varying voltage on a fixed resistance coil. After more thought I guessed the only way of true variable wattage was some kind of PWM modulation (which I believe some crack pots tried on one unit on market)

It makes sense to me now after your explanation, but the description VW though true is misleading... should be called 'AV' ... auto voltage :)

Soldato
I had Vape Mail today :) .

iTaste MVP v2. (My first upgrade)
Nautilus Mini Tank
3 10ml bottles of Digbys Mums Custard.

This setup vapes so nice compared to my old iTaste vv V3. Loving the Digbys Custard too.

Soldato
This is a great explanation. I've got a basic grounding in electronics and the whole variable wattage claim of these ecig batterys always got me thinking.

I must admit being a bit of a dumb ass I though vw ?, wth is that... as you can't vary that without varying voltage on a fixed resistance coil. After more thought I guessed the only way of true variable wattage was some kind of PWM modulation (which I believe some crack pots tried on one unit on market)

It makes sense to me now after your explanation, but the description VW though true is misleading... should be called 'AV' ... auto voltage :)

Well, auto voltage does have some merit to it, but it is the power you are setting in VW mode, so you are varying the wattage, which varies the voltage in accordance to the current resistance reading on the coil. So variable wattage does actually work as the voltage is automatically varying to achieve the desired power.

Many, many devices are PWM though. SVD's, SID's, Vamo's etc... are all Pulse Width Modulation devices. They generally work by applying a constant 4.2 volts (or whatever) and pusling that off and on so the average readout over a certain time meets the power you have set. This is why the likes of a Vamo has both RMS and MEAN modes. This process is what gives the "rattle snake" sound when operating. Because the chip works at a certain frequency.

Other chips don't operate in this manner. Such as the Evolve chips. But they were built / designed by a guy who came into ecigs from another industry already making chips for other purposes (he was invited by a proper ecig guy). His different perspective on the whole thing helped give rise to the current domination of VW devices. Evolve chips are VW only, only indicating voltage for information.

Associate
so 1 person has said use watts and the other has said use volts lol now i am not sure

going to stick with my pro tank 3 mini to start but i think i fancy a attie which holds more juice that nautilus looks nice let me know how it goes with the mvp please

Soldato
Ha ha. Don't sweat it. Use whatever you feel comfortable with. Just know that if you use power, and change coil resistance, in theory, the vape should remain the same. That's why reviewers and such mention their preferred vape in watts usually, unless they are using mechs. I always use watts on my mods...

Soldato
Last night we had a BBQ and drank till merry. This is the point I'm usually craving cigs and can discard a 20 pack in no time (I'm not a regular and addicted smoker - just drink associated smoking, like pavlovs dog I guess). So last night I was offered a cig from a friend and I thought why not, it's the first time I'd considered one in months since starting vaping. As soon as I took one puff the taste and smell repulsed me and I gave it up to someone else. I pulled my EVOD out and happily vaped on my favourite; snake oil :) great success that I actually can't stand smoking now :)

Soldato
First time I've wicked my rose with silica... Dual coil , came out qt 1.1 ohm. It's behaving like I thought it would. Having to put about 20 watts through to get a good taste and vapour and this is making the atty unusually hot. Not too hot to touch, but hot considering with my cotton builds I feel no heat... What have I done wrong?

Associate
I'm going to keep this brief. I can't handle reading through this monster topic because it is full on acronyms I don't understand. So apologies if this has been done countless times before but, spec me a vaporiser please! I want to quit smoking and I watched a video of someone smoking mum's custard (sorry, vaping). Looked like a good way to give rollies the boot. Cheers!

Soldato
I'm going to keep this brief. I can't handle reading through this monster topic because it is full on acronyms I don't understand. So apologies if this has been done countless times before but, spec me a vaporiser please! I want to quit smoking and I watched a video of someone smoking mum's custard (sorry, vaping). Looked like a good way to give rollies the boot. Cheers!

Do you have a budget ? Will make it easier to recommend something.

Soldato
Can do that for you no problem. But we need a budget for you. What are you willing to spend? It's not necessarily that the more you spend, the better the "hit" or whatever, but there is a price-point where it REALLY starts coming together.

However, that price-point is at a place that I wouldn't have been happy with to "try" vaping. If you think you can give it a proper go, then spend the money right first time. If you are just wanting to see "if it might work", then we can suggest cheaper options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom