• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: The Vega Review Thread.

What do we think about Vega?

• What has AMD been doing for the past 1-2 years?

• It consumes how many watts and is how loud!!!

• It is not that bad.

• Want to buy but put off by pricing and warranty.

• I will be buying one for sure (I own a Freesync monitor so have little choice).

• Better red than dead.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Soldato
Don't amd always post losses these days :p?

Very close to a profit last quarter for the first time in a long while. This quarter might just be a profit with a full range of decent Cpu's and Gpu's on the market. With what i think will be the best range of Apu's coming soon as well they are a company almost transformed from this time last year. Sure vega ain't great but as a whole everything is moving along nicely compared to what it was. Hopefully a decent range of competitive Gpu's from top to bottom follows at some point and then it will be game on in both markets.

Soldato
Very close to a profit last quarter for the first time in a long while. This quarter might just be a profit with a full range of decent Cpu's and Gpu's on the market. With what i think will be the best range of Apu's coming soon as well they are a company almost transformed from this time last year. Sure vega ain't great but as a whole everything is moving along nicely compared to what it was. Hopefully a decent range of competitive Gpu's from top to bottom follows at some point and then it will be game on in both markets.
I think you covered it well here. I think the Vega cards are decent, but they're struggling to be competitive.
The current prices are disappointing.
The rumours that 3rd party cards are struggling to improve on the reference cards is also disappointing (who wants an AMD reference cooler? Plus the LC edition suggests better cooling should allow better performance).
The fact they were released 14 months after the cards they're currently competing with I think is the real problem. If they'd released at the current prices like 2 months before Nvidia's cards then people might not have been so critical of the prices (they'd still be expensive, but with no competition it'd be understandable).
Also the fact they've not released anything to compete with the 1080Ti/Titan for those just looking for the best performance. Those videos that went around for a while on the history of everything Nvidia has ever done wrong (although no mention of AMD doing the same) classed the 1080 GPU as a mid-range part, so AMD are still only competing with a mid-range part with their top of the line products.

Soldato
I think you covered it well here. I think the Vega cards are decent, but they're struggling to be competitive.
The current prices are disappointing.
The rumours that 3rd party cards are struggling to improve on the reference cards is also disappointing (who wants an AMD reference cooler? Plus the LC edition suggests better cooling should allow better performance).
The fact they were released 14 months after the cards they're currently competing with I think is the real problem. If they'd released at the current prices like 2 months before Nvidia's cards then people might not have been so critical of the prices (they'd still be expensive, but with no competition it'd be understandable).
Also the fact they've not released anything to compete with the 1080Ti/Titan for those just looking for the best performance. Those videos that went around for a while on the history of everything Nvidia has ever done wrong (although no mention of AMD doing the same) classed the 1080 GPU as a mid-range part, so AMD are still only competing with a mid-range part with their top of the line products.

One thing i will say about the Mid range aspect is this. Vega is a High end part. The size of the Gpu and also it's compute performance pretty much show that's the case. The thing is although it is high end it is nvidia Mid range performance in games. Another give away that it's high end is the daft power usage. I agree with all your other points though which is some what of a rarity between us :D:D:D:D:D.

Soldato
One thing i will say about the Mid range aspect is this. Vega is a High end part. The size of the Gpu and also it's compute performance pretty much show that's the case. The thing is although it is high end it is nvidia Mid range performance in games. Another give away that it's high end is the daft power usage. I agree with all your other points though which is some what of a rarity between us :D:D:D:D:D.
I think we agreed on that point too.

and yeah, I felt a bit weird too...

Soldato
I posted over at the PC gamer section. I was going to post here but I expected people would have just complained it was in wrong section.

Yea you could be right. Thought it would be good for the bench guys that like to do some before and after tests. To also see which hardware benefits more whether it be older or newer and the like.

Permabanned
Wait, what? Price/performance ratio is no longer a valid argument? Why? Because AMD aren't winning it?

I guess it'll only become relevant again when AMD are winning it, then it'll be ok to drag it up again?
It's like we only care about 1080p benchmarks now because Nvidia seem to do better at higher resolutions, where as in the past the 1440p and 4K resolution were used because AMD did better in them.

The only things that matter are the things AMD do well on the current cards?
So I guess for now expensive cards are a good thing (no more complaining about Titan prices and such?).
I guess cards that draw a lot of power and run hot are a good thing?
I guess cards that don't quite top performance graphs are the cards we're interested in?

All that matters is whatever resolution you use, I don't care how it performs on anything but 3440 x 1440 and when there's no ultra-wide results available I make a guess somewhere between the 2560 x 1440 and 4K results.

Soldato
Yea you could be right. Thought it would be good for the bench guys that like to do some before and after tests. To also see which hardware benefits more whether it be older or newer and the like.

Untitled4c4ed.jpg

Permabanned
Leave this here he using VEGA 56

This probably deserves a thread of it's own tbh. I am sure this will be getting tested on NV cards, as well as a whole load of older cards. Some nice boosts tbh.

I just ran a couple of benches, Valley, ROTTR in DX11 & DX12, F1 2016 in clear and rainy and I'm in the process of installing the update so I'll test them again tomorrow. See if it helps a 1080 like it does Vega.

Permabanned
I've done a run of F1 2016 with clear weather which shows a small improvement, more margin of error really, I'll do the rest tomorrow as I'm up and out early.

F1 2016 Clear Weather

Before: 55/75/95

After: 61/78/96

It's always nice having the minimum above 60 but there's no big gains here which is great news if Joker's Vega results can be replicated by all. If so all we need now is the aftermarket cards to land.

Soldato
I take it you have to enable gaming mode for it take effect? How do you do that? I never bothered when they introduced it in the last update but will have to give it go given the apparent gains...

Edit: It's ok I sussed it. No gains for me with it enabled for the ROTR benchmark on Windows version 1703. Will may download the fall update later and try again...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom