The VW UP Gti - What do we all think?

Soldato
yeah, plenty -; https://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres/search

rather than searching by plate search by size.

if you do go for non RFT just get a tyre sealant and pump kit in the boot.

Yup, now I feel like an idiot :) I've been punching in the reg to most places and getting limited results.

They appear to do Michelin Pilot Super Sports for £140.00 a corner. Had these on my M135i and loved them.

Cheers fella!

Soldato
Yup, now I feel like an idiot :) I've been punching in the reg to most places and getting limited results.

They appear to do Michelin Pilot Super Sports for £140.00 a corner. Had these on my M135i and loved them.

Cheers fella!
yeah with your reg they will only provide you with RFT's :)

no problems, MPS4's are supposed to be really good, I'm very happy with rainsport 3's and 105s advans I had before.

Soldato
yeah with your reg they will only provide you with RFT's :)

no problems, MPS4's are supposed to be really good, I'm very happy with rainsport 3's and 105s advans I had before.

You'd go MPS4 over MPSS? I'm so lost with Michelin's naming conventions...

(Sorry to go off topic).

Soldato
Drove one a while back at Ascari, of all places and... well, wasn't hugely taken with it.

It's fine. It's basically an Up that goes a bit quicker and looks more interesting. I'd have just the same amount of fun in a 90PS Up as I would in the GTI, though. The steering's numb, the box isn't that tactile, etc.

An interesting little car for the money, though, and a neat package otherwise.

Swift Sport is the more interesting car to drive, if anyone's weighing up the two; better chassis, lighter on its feet, more communicative steering (and far better equipped, to boot). The only disappointment is that its engine isn't that vocal, unlike the Up's bassy-sounding powerplant, and the interior isn't finished to the same standard. Pays ya money, takes ya choice...

Associate
I was really interested in getting one as it seemed to tick all of the boxes. A bit of a fun drive, small, convenient enough given that it would be our second car so only doing 5000 miles a year give or take. Cheap to run.

HOWEVER

Our closest VW dealer couldn’t be more disinterested. Went there one Saturday afternoon to discuss options. The place was pretty much empty of customers. With 4-5 sales people talking amongst themselves. We were there for about 20 minutes and no one bothered to ask us if we needed help. My wife approached one of the sales people who acknowledged her but ultimately walked off never to be seen again. We then approched a different member of staff (not a sales person by all accounts) who couldn’t be more apologetic to be fair but by that point (45 minutes since arriving) the sale with that particular dealer was lost.

Really surprised by their lack of interest in making a sale. It’s not like a whole bunch of customers with appointments walked in whilst we were there, like I said the place was pretty much dead the entire time.

I do wonder if it’s because I tend to go to dealers wearing a hoodie, maybe I look like a time waster and not worth the sales persons effort. Oh well their loss.

We did arrange to go to another VW dealer slightly further away however in the mean time I found a 17 plate zero owner Fiesta ST3 with 5000 miles on the clock. Went and had a look at it and ultimately went with the Fiesta and cancelled the appointment with the second VW dealer.

Shame really as I was really interested in the UP GTI but hey ho. I’m really liking the Fiesta, nice and nippy plus on top of the ST3 spec it has rear parking sensors, rear parking camera and spare wheel as optional extras. Also quite a bit cheaper than the UP. Though not really comparing apples to apples as the Fiesta is secondhand compared to new for the UP.

Soldato
You're not the first to comment on VW dealers being a bit rubbish. The wait time on these things is hilarious, with no real idea of a queue. I'm happy to wait til September (when car I am trading in is due tax, insurance and service) but some people are getting them quicker. I currently drive a hot hatch (208 GTi by Peugeot Sport) which I am getting rid of as I've always wanted one since I saw the concept back in 2011! I may still go try the Swift Sport though...

Man of Honour
Sadly the good experiences are the ones you remember more in the motor trade as they are by far and away the rarity these days. Broken industry, full of lowly paid sales people doing a rubbish job in the main. It's why so many dealers have revolving doors and why the good people stand out so much. They are out there of course, but often I walk in and leave with a bad taste and that is across all brands, be they luxury or no.

Soldato
Agree there is little to no pride or incentive given for these guys (and girls) to provide any sort of quality or customer focused service from sales through ownership to your next trade in.

All about tiny margins and relying on volume and quick turn arounds for employees to make a reasonable living

Associate
I have to say the sales guy we spoke to when looking around the Fiesta couldn’t be more helpful. Informative without being pushy, general chat was at the right level without being excessive. Pofessional but friendly at the same time. I think that’s what ultimately convenienced us to go with the Fiesta despite never owning a Ford before.

Just need to get rid of the old jalopy now (Volvo V50 with 170k hard miles on the clock). Touch wood so far the thing just keeps on going despite receiving zero love. I will be sad to see it go when we eventually swop it out, not that I have a bond with it or anything, however it’s one of those park it anywhere and not worry about it cars. If it gets a slight bit of damage to it, it’s not a big deal plus the thing is an absolute beast for getting rid of stuff to the recycling centre/tip, garden waste, old carpets, dead bodies you name it. Can’t see me being happy with doing the same in a car with a nice new interior.

My wife had her heart set on a new shape Tiguan but the VW dealer experience has left a sour taste in our mouths. Funny how one experience has potentially resulted in two lost sales. That and I’ve set an unofficial rule that we can’t get rid of the old girl until it costs more than £300 to repair in one hit. Low and behold to the upmost annoyance of my wife the damn thing just won’t die.

Soldato
I'm only really sticking because I agreed a decent trade in price (we buy any car now offering less) which is guaranteed as long as condition of car doesn't change. I know if I looked at the Swift Sport it will cost a lot more (trade in plus more anyway) so not really worth it for me!

Soldato
Swift Sport is the more interesting car to drive, if anyone's weighing up the two; better chassis, lighter on its feet, more communicative steering (and far better equipped, to boot). The only disappointment is that its engine isn't that vocal, unlike the Up's bassy-sounding powerplant, and the interior isn't finished to the same standard. Pays ya money, takes ya choice...

i was looking at a swift sport, then hoped the Up would be its repalcement after the sports price hike, but the lack of power, and the fact they set it up to use your phone for gps put me off.

i know the phone/gps thing might seem small, but if swift can do it no reason for VW not to be able to.

Back
Top Bottom