The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember reading ages ago that Intel's first smartphone SoCs weren't capable of running Windows because they missed a feature that Windows required (possibly a PCI bus or something similar, can't remember exactly as it was a while ago lol).

So does this mean that the latest Intel SoCs won't be able to run the full version of Windows 8 i.e. including full explorer, backwards compatibility etc? Or have Intel added in all the necessary features?

Also does anyone know if there will be a video of the consumer preview launch event? The build keynotes gave a fantastic overview of Windows 8 and WoA in a way no article could, so I'm hoping for something similar from this event :D.

As much as I am looking forward to Win 8, I can't see it replacing Win 7 on my htpc. My laptop on the other hand, if they have the special offer like they did with Win 7, I'll buy it for that.

I remember reading ages ago that Intel's first smartphone SoCs weren't capable of running Windows because they missed a feature that Windows required (possibly a PCI bus or something similar, can't remember exactly as it was a while ago lol).

So does this mean that the latest Intel SoCs won't be able to run the full version of Windows 8 i.e. including full explorer, backwards compatibility etc? Or have Intel added in all the necessary features?

Also does anyone know if there will be a video of the consumer preview launch event? The build keynotes gave a fantastic overview of Windows 8 and WoA in a way no article could, so I'm hoping for something similar from this event :D.

It seems that the ARM SoC's for WOA also lack certain "PC" functionality such as a PCI bus. This is what a lot of work in WOA will address. I'm sure there will be another variant of this "embedded edition" of Windows that will be made available for Intel SoC's as well.

If they can just removed the Metro disaster of a UI without disabling all the new windows 8 features then they might have a OS worthy of an upgrade.

But based on windows passed OS upgrade path. Ill wait for windows 9 before upgrading. Hopefully when metro flops and no one wants to push blocks around the screen for the rest of their life, they will resort to more sensible UI.

windows 8 = vista 2.0

Last edited:

It will definitely fully support Win 8 and run all x86 software, just like any other Intel chip. Intel keep talking down ARM because those devices wont be able to do the same, so Intel's SoC must be able to run all existing PC software or they wouldn't be saying this.

The SoC Intel have for Win 8 is called Clover Trail and it's designed specifically for Windows and not smartphones, but is quite similar to Intels new smartphone SoC called Medfield in terms of power consumption and performance.

It seems that the ARM SoC's for WOA also lack certain "PC" functionality such as a PCI bus. This is what a lot of work in WOA will address. I'm sure there will be another variant of this "embedded edition" of Windows that will be made available for Intel SoC's as well.

As far as i know the desktop Windows 8 version will be the the same version that runs on Intel and AMD SoC's, there wont be any other versions, just Windows 8 and WOA, being as Intel and AMD will both have SoC's specifically designed for Windows 8.

Personally, I'm surprised as the lack of leaks that there have been with W8

With W7, there seemed to be a new leak every week. Maybe MS themselves were 'leaking' the software for more coverage?

Yep. You'll be able to use it the same as Win 7, the classic desktop is still there and works mostly the same. But it no longer has a Start menu any more, Metro replaces that as well as doubles up as the main interface for touch devices. You can switch between desktop and Metro using the Windows key or by moving the mouse to the bottom left of the task bar.

I don't use the start menu except to use search, so if I want to open something I just hit the Win key then type it in. Will the feature be removed?

The displayed results re getting reorganised in beta, from all the feedback they've got. As is a lot of controlls.

It works well, will take some getting used to but so did Vista/7 compared to XP.

I think it took me 18 months to use search indexing properly. Apart from my music/pics/docs etc and search, I barely use the start button in 7.

And before anyone says, yes, I know this is pre-beta.

Hi Windows 8 Thread.

Will Win 8 run Xbox 360 full games? I'm thinking of getting a console though of course I'll wait for Win to come out if it can run the Games.

Also any Release Date for the Software.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
DX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom