***The Wine Thread***

Man. Regretting not buying the Salom at 300 when I had the chance.

Always wanted to try it but no chance I can touch it now.

I paid £50 for the first bottles I bought a long time ago. Since sold. Currently have 1 magnum 2002 in storage and not sure what to do with it...

So I opened a bottle of Margaux 2017 earlier this week (at the weekend IIRC) and it's magically kept with the cork in getting better - it needs breather. It was the easiest bottle to get to your honour after she's packed the boxes away.. Large glass after long day in the office for once.. damn tasty! I think this is the first bottle of red since early December!

Last edited:
I paid £50 for the first bottles I bought a long time ago. Since sold. Currently have 1 magnum 2002 in storage and not sure what to do with it...

I'll accept it as a gift :)

Finally ordered some Breaky Bottom stuff. It's been on a wishlist for ages but never got around to it and leaving the country seems like an ideal reason to stop procrastinating.

I've been swapping between Barolo and Amarone Della valpolicella's I keep going back to the Amarone's... Various price points although the higher priced ones definitely get supped quicker...
Any online recommendations.

After a few wine tasting recently, I've opened an account with a local independent wine merchants, with the plan of storing/buying some wine for the future. Either drinking it in years to come or selling it. Will wait and see.

Purchased a case (6 bottles) of Il Pino di Biserno Tenuta di Biserno 2021 after tasting the 2012 version at a local event. It's stored away for now - no plan for it but will wait and see. I believe the phrase is "En primeur’"

Just getting into wine a bit more, and some spare "fun" cash will be used to buy some more in the future. Like I say - might drink it, might sell it - will see in years to come

Last edited:
I've been swapping between Barolo and Amarone Della valpolicella's I keep going back to the Amarone's... Various price points although the higher priced ones definitely get supped quicker...
Any online recommendations.

£12 a bottle at Sainsbury's if you buy 6. 4.1 on Vivino.

Supermarket Barolo is always pish though.

19 Crimes is a strange one for me. It's clever marketing for what appears to be substandard wine. The standard "Red Wine" is non descript. The "Uprising" I tried at the weekend was intensely sweet - so much that I looked up sugar content to see what extras had been added. To me its marketed towards people who don't like red wine - as strange as that sounds. Uprising was easy drinking and after half a bottle it went down well, very smooth. I see they are promoting a Snoop one too with...candied fruit pieces? :rolleyes:
It's the scary looking Victorian criminals photos puts me off buying that wine. Though your descriptions of the wine - I'm not missing much.

Can someone recommend a good bottle of Honey mead please? Budget up to around £20-£25? It's for a present I've never drunk it before but the person has a bee keeping hobby, so it seems fitting.

Had a case of 6 unexpectedly turn up in a lovely wooden crate.

XGuca8dl.jpg

At work, we have some £4 wines which many customers buy. How can they drink this rubbish? How much of the £4 is on the contents?
Our reps tell us its 81p in a £5 bottle but £2.70 in a £10 bottle.

I ordered some £90 Amarone from Petersham Cellar 4 weeks ago. Stuff was supposed to be in stock. After having my emails ignored for 3 weeks they eventually refunded me after i threatened chargeback.
Shame really as looking for more trade suppliers and I also wanted to see how much better that was over a £45 or even the £10 bottle one of our suppliers has...

Last edited:

I ordered some £90 Amarone from Petersham Cellar 4 weeks ago. Stuff was supposed to be in stock. After having my emails ignored for 3 weeks they eventually refunded me after i threatened chargeback.
Shame really as looking for more trade suppliers and I also wanted to see how much better that was over a £45 or even the £10 bottle one of our suppliers has...

£10 Amarone??

Shame that you didn't get the delivery.

A good graphic of the cost of the components of a bottle of wine: https://www.bauduc.com/news/a-guide-to-uk-duty-hikes-on-wine/

When I was younger my mum used to buy wine before Xmas dinner and I remember it made me really hungry instantly.

the wines were called Niersteiner and Piersporter. Both German. You cant seem to get them in supermarkets any more, but is Riesling a suitable substitute?

Back
Top Bottom