The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
Right, couldn't wait any longer, even with rumors circulating about Witcher 3 being given away by Epic Games at some point, I decided that I didn't want to wait and so have given the game of the year edition a go!

Can someone give me a run-down of the best mods to ease me into the game and get it looking as good as I can run it at (spec in my sig.)

I've read a little (and I mean a little!) about various mods that makes some of the more mundane/complicated tasks easier, or even automated. I'm not looking to detract from the action or the story - just make things a bit more "pick up and play" friendly!

A nod towards a noobs guide would be welcome too as I've never played any of the Witcher series!

Thanks for any info!

Soldato
Right, couldn't wait any longer, even with rumors circulating about Witcher 3 being given away by Epic Games at some point, I decided that I didn't want to wait and so have given the game of the year edition a go!

Can someone give me a run-down of the best mods to ease me into the game and get it looking as good as I can run it at (spec in my sig.)

I've read a little (and I mean a little!) about various mods that makes some of the more mundane/complicated tasks easier, or even automated. I'm not looking to detract from the action or the story - just make things a bit more "pick up and play" friendly!

A nod towards a noobs guide would be welcome too as I've never played any of the Witcher series!

Thanks for any info!

Check out https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt.18485613/page-440#post-32724801

You can ignore Improved Draw Distances if you don't want the more complicated install process. Most others are just drag and drop into the Witcher 3 mods folder.

Soldato

Thanks for any info!

Hmmm, with that rig, you might struggle with insane mods. I play on a 1440p 144hz monitor, but with Nvidia's DSR I actually run the game in 4k (not sure if ATI have the same option just different name). Here is my mod list:

rDPXiQU.png

As for ini, I followed nvidia's own analysis and essentially cranked everything as high as I could give or take, so here is my ini:

Code:
[Gameplay/EntityPool]
SpawnedLimit=150
[Hidden]
HasSeenEP2WelcomeMessage=true
HasSeenDLCMessage=true
HasSetup=true
HasSeenEP1WelcomeMessage=true
uiVerticalFrameScale=1
uiHorizontalFrameScale=1
[Localization]
RequestedSpeechLanguage=
SpeechLanguage=EN
RequestedTextLanguage=
TextLanguage=EN
[Viewport]
VSync=false
Resolution="2560x1440"
FullScreenMode=2
VSyncThreshold=0
OutputMonitor=0
[Hud]
HudSize=0
[Budget]
TerrainTileMipDataBudget=100
TerrainTileMinTimeout=2
TerrainTileTimeout=10
OcclusionQueryAdditionalMemory=5
TerrainTileLoadingTimeout=5
[ContentManager/Mods]
MaxNameLength=64
Enabled=true
[Audio]
SoundVolume=85
MusicVolume=85
Subtitles=true
[LoadingScreen/TCR]
ShowProgress=true
[Game]
DoNotPauseWhileStopped=false
[Scripts]
DebugScriptsForceFlush=true
DebugScriptsLogDir=
[PostProcess]
AllowChromaticAberration=false
SharpenAmount=1
MotionBlurPositionTreshold=0.05
AllowVignette=false
MotionBlurRotationTreshold=1
SSAOSolution=2
[Input]
PadVibrationEnabled=true
KeyboardCooldownSpeed=0.1
InvertCameraXOnMouse=false
InvertCameraYOnMouse=false
CameraAutoRotX=true
InvertCameraX=false
UIMouseSensitivity=1
CameraAutoRotY=true
RightStickCameraSensitivity=0.591837
InvertCameraY=false
RightStickAimSensitivity=0.591837
MouseSensitivity=0.25
SteamController=0
ForceDisablePad=false
[DLC]
DlcEnabled_dlc_010_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_015_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_005_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_007_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_013_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_004_001=0
DlcEnabled_dlc_006_001=0
DlcEnabled_dlc_001_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_008_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_011_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_002_001=1
DlcEnabled_ep1=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_014_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_009_001=1
DlcEnabled_bob_000_000=1
DlcEnabled_abob_001_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_012_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_003_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_016_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_011_002=0
[Gameplay]
MotionSicknessFocusMode=true
Difficulty=3
EnableUberMovement=1
[LevelOfDetail]
SwarmHideDistance=200
DecalsHideDistance=80
DimmerHideDistance=60
DynamicDecalsHideDistance=20
StripeHideDistance=60
[General]
ConfigVersion=2
[LoadingScreen/Editor]
Disabled=false
[LoadingOverlay/TCR]
FadeOutCooldownExtraTime=1
FadeInSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveSpinnerTime=3
FadeOutSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveEndCooldown=1
[Visuals]
AllowClothSimulationOnGpu=false
InventoryBgColorScaleB=0.036
InventoryFixedLuminance=0.25
InventoryBgColorScaleG=0.034
MovieFramerate=30
GammaValue=0.78
InventoryBgColorScaleR=0.02
[Rendering]
GrassDensity=3600
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=10
GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=48
CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=1
HairWorksGlobalWidthLimit=5
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=3
MaxTextureAnizotropy=16
HairWorksGlobalDensityQuality=1
TextureMemoryBudget=1600
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=1.5
HairWorkstGlobalDensityLimit=2
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimitSq=100
MeshLODDistanceScale=10
ScaleformTextureUnstreamDelay=2.5
DecalsChance=1
TerrainReadAheadDistance=200
HairWorksLevel=2
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold=1.6
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThresholdFar=3.5
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimitSq=225
MaxTerrainShadowAtlasCount=4
TextureStreamingDistanceLimitSq=60000
HairWorksGlobalDetailLODFactor=1
TextureMipBias=-1
TextureInFlightBudget=128
TextureInFlightCountBudget=12
PreserveSystemGamma=false
TerrainErrorMetricMultiplier=6
CascadeShadowmapSize=4096
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=4
MeshRenderingDistanceScale=1
CascadeShadowQuality=4
HairWorksAALevel=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=4
[Input/Gestures]
EnableSwipe=true
EnablePan=true
EnableGestures=true
EnablePinch=true
[LoadingScreen]
FadeInTime=3
SkipShowWithAnyKey=true
GameRevealTime=3
SkipHideDelay=3
SkipInputDelay=0.25
FadeOutTime=1.5
SkipAutoshow=false
[Engine]
LimitFPS=0
[Rendering/SpeedTree]
GrassGenerationEfficiency=0.075
GrassDistanceScale=3
FoliageDistanceScale=3
FoliageShadowDistanceScale=108
GrassRingSize=16777216
[Gameplay/BoatCamera]
BoatLocalSpaceCamera=false
[FOVSlider]
horseFOV=65
explorationFOV=65
[Save]
ShowCompatWarning=false
[Kinect]
Kinect=true
[Foliage]
MaxVisibilityDepth=24

You can find the tweak guide here: https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/g...ormance-and-tweaking-guide#config-file-tweaks

All resulting in it being much better looking than default in my opinion. I do not mess with lighting, I think the default look is the best in my opinion, but it's easy enough to test out different lighting mods if that's your thing.

Give the game time, most people give up before finishing the starting area, it takes a while to click. And explore! This will be my 3rd or 4th playthrough? It's easily my favourite game of all time.

VBCpWpK.jpg

Caporegime
How does auto oils work? This is probably the only mod I'm interested in as it is a pain in the arse swapping oils for different creatures. Does it automatically match the right oil to the creature you're fighting?

Soldato
How does auto oils work? This is probably the only mod I'm interesting in as it is a pain in the arse swapping oils for different creatures.

As it says on the tin really, if you have the oil recipe learnt, and you encounter the enemy type for said oil, it auto applies it. Oils only, not potions.

If you don't know the oil, say for example to counter wraiths. It will show a tiny dialogue box at the bottom left just saying oil missing for a few seconds and is the same style as the game menu. I'd say it's easily the most essential mod.

Caporegime
As it says on the tin really, if you have the oil recipe learnt, and you encounter the enemy type for said oil, it auto applies it. Oils only, not potions.

Thanks, that does sound good. I can't even remember if there are enemy specific potions, it's been that long. Dunno when I'll ever get round to playing it again. :(

Soldato
Wow, thanks for all the info @agnes - I've started the game, got through the intro sequences and am now installing the HD Reworked Project 11.0.

I'll definitely look at the auto oils mod but doubt I'll start messing with .ini files to be honest!

Will have a scan through the listed mods and see what I like the look of! Thanks again...

Soldato
Hmmm, I've installed the HD Reworked mod but there is mention of "Halk's Ultra HD Config" but the guide appears to be skewed towards Nvidia GPU's and to top it off, is in another language!?!?

Has anyone got a simple guide as to what settings I need to tweak using an ATi GPU?

Soldato
In addition to the above, how do I know whether the auto apply oils mod is working?

I've made a folder called "mods" I'm my Witcher 3 game folder and simply extracted the oils mod into that folder - do I need to activate or install it somehow? (there is mention of NMM, which I assume is Nexus Mod Manager? - but it seems to have been superseded by another program called Vortex - should I be using this??

Anyway, in-game I've just managed to formulate my first oil and have manually applied it to my silver sword - there didn't appear to be anything that indicated it had been done automatically!?!?

Soldato
Hmmm, I've installed the HD Reworked mod but there is mention of "Halk's Ultra HD Config" but the guide appears to be skewed towards Nvidia GPU's and to top it off, is in another language!?!?

Has anyone got a simple guide as to what settings I need to tweak using an ATi GPU?

In addition to the above, how do I know whether the auto apply oils mod is working?

I've made a folder called "mods" I'm my Witcher 3 game folder and simply extracted the oils mod into that folder - do I need to activate or install it somehow? (there is mention of NMM, which I assume is Nexus Mod Manager? - but it seems to have been superseded by another program called Vortex - should I be using this??

Anyway, in-game I've just managed to formulate my first oil and have manually applied it to my silver sword - there didn't appear to be anything that indicated it had been done automatically!?!?

So, I don't know about and ati gpu, but the nvidia tweak guide doesn't have to be just for nvidia, the game changes it runs through and demo's work for both nvidia and ati.

In terms of installing, Witcher 3 is probably best you 'install' the mods your self, you've done so already, a Mods folder and just copy in the mod folder names. Just read the description on the mod it's self on Nexus website. There is no need to 'activate' any mods, if it's in that mods folder, you're all good.

To see oils, you'll see a little buff symbol in the top left under your health bar. This is where oils are tracked, as well as all other buffs/debuffs.

Soldato
Thanks @agnes - I actually got a pop up re the oils - when entering into a battle it told me I didn't have the requisite oil to apply!

Oh and I know I'm a tad late to the party but....WITCHER 3 IS AWESOME!!!!!! :D

I'm doing every quest I can (although I failed one where I had to retrieve a small box from a swamp and must have done something wrong because it popped up that the merchant had legged it!?!?) and have just killed the Griffin!

What skills should I be spending my skill points on early-doors? I've maxed fast attack and gourmet but not sure what else to go for at this stage?

Soldato
I'd say to play about with whatever takes your fancy. Try the Signs out, its fun roasting enemies, or knocking them over, quen is always very handy.
I'm on my 2nd play through and nearly finished the last dlc, with a very powerful alchemy build. Lots of fun, but some of the challenge has gone, as Geralt is very strong at the mo!
If you feel that things have gone wrong or not to your liking, them you can buy from certain merchants a potion to reset your skills tree and set the points up from scratch again.
So dont worry about building the wrong skills, just have fun.

Mick

Soldato
Oh and go hunting for places of power, they give you an instant skill point. And try not to cheat to much (youtube). As you progress you will be amazed at the attention to detail, and some character stories that take an unexpected twist if you discovery more about each area.
Witcher 3 does deserve all its praise, the detail is stunning even 5 years later it makes other AAA games look half baked.

Soldato
Right, I've moved on to the 2nd area around the Baron's castle and I'm wondering why it's throwing quests at me that I'm clearly under-levelled for?

There must be 5 or 6 just sat there that recommend I'm at level 15-20+ (I think I'm level 6 atm) - I assume I have to backtrack later in the game to complete?

Soldato
There must be 5 or 6 just sat there that recommend I'm at level 15-20+ (I think I'm level 6 atm) - I assume I have to backtrack later in the game to complete?
It's a tricky one - this happened to me, and I usually just went for them for the challenge as it never really felt grindy to me.
I've ended up being just too OP to come back to lower level missions as I don't find myself in the Baron's area much, so they do now feel grindy if I'm just doing them for the sake of completion. So I stopped doing them! I'd recommend having a crack at them now to be honest. Get a strategy in place, take it slow, and use oils and potions as much as you can.

Soldato
For some reason I'm not finding that I have the ingredients for many oils and bombs etc - even though I'm looting everything in sight!?!

The other issue is I don't know if I'm better selling gear etc or crafting with it? I seem to be spending most of my money repairing my gear with blacksmiths so the money is useful!

Soldato
For some reason I'm not finding that I have the ingredients for many oils and bombs etc - even though I'm looting everything in sight!?!

The other issue is I don't know if I'm better selling gear etc or crafting with it? I seem to be spending most of my money repairing my gear with blacksmiths so the money is useful!

Honestly, if you don't mind making it a little easy... Look into giving your self a bunch of cash via console, getting the durability mod (stops items needing repairing) and more bag space. That side of the game is pretty weak and it's more a pain than enjoyable.

As for plants, you'll find some need pretty rare plants which you can't just find in a random field. Speak with alchemists and see if they have what you need.

Associate
Just finished this yesterday after having it on Steam for quite some time. 230 odd hours in total and pretty much enjoyed every one of them.
Great continuation from the previous games, can't wait for the next installment. Stuck what to play now, might start on Bioshock 2 having played the 1st many years ago .

Back
Top Bottom