The Witcher series (Netflix)

Its not an issue at all, if its done well, if its done well doesn't matter if a show is ran by a man, a woman, straight, gay, trans, whatever, but when a show sucks, and happens to be helmed my women, and those women cant accept that they are out of their depth and have screwed up an existing IP, and instead thrown the blame around to others that are 'anti-xyz' group they happen to be in, that's where the problem is..
I love how you keep saying they've screwed up an existing IP when you admit you haven't read any of the books and haven't even played the games.

Other comments however are quite focussed on this ‘anti-man’ rhetoric (for example - here).

I'll comment, seeing as you've picked my post specifically.

On the interviews and comments and things that I have read, the 'outcry' is being put squarely on the male fans of the show, the games, and the source material being deviated from, and those comments are coming from the women associated with the show that sit behind the camera, I wouldn't call it an 'anti-man' rhetoric, but when those women involved are literally saying things like 'toxic gamer' and so on, that's the point I'm aiming at, perhaps my words are missing the mark..
Its when people of colour do something and get called out for it, but then they play the racist card, same with any card, overplayed and without merit in most cases..

Theres an old saying..
If someone calls you a horse, ignore them, when 1000 people call you a horse, perhaps its time to buy a saddle...

Is that like you keep saying that I admit that I haven't read the books, and then ignore the rest of the sentence or post?
I read your whole post, you made a snap judgement based on your pre-existing agendas and are now back peddling to try and justify them. The funny thing is you are part of the toxic group that these showrunners are talking about and you don't even seem to realise it.

That's not what he said exactly is it? He said that when being adapted things have to be changed to appeal to a larger world-wide audience, a lot of which are American which is true. He said younger audiences generally have shorter attention spans because they mostly consume Tik Tok and Youtube which is....true? Again this is nothing new, books are always simplified when adapted to tv/film. Can you imagine a faithful adaptation of LOTR? It would have been absolutely loved by the 10% that were book fans and flopped completely to everyone else.

Well maybe you're right and I'm wrong then, but I find it rather convenient that all of these articles are coming out after Cavils exit, perhaps I'm just cynical..
Also seeing articles about how Yen's actress was cast, not just because of her acting ability but also because the showrunners are trying to break societal norms about beauty, I mean, really....

To me, and clearly not you, as we disagree to the point we are doing, that even though the showrunners mocked the fans and the source material and changed things to make it more Ciri/Yen based rather than Geralt based, none of the backlash is their fault, they're having to make changes to suit a wider audience, they're trying to be inclusive, trying to break societal norms, but no one of those choices they've made are their fault, its all toxic gamer bro and his buddies...

Well maybe you're right and I'm wrong then, but I find it rather convenient that all of these articles are coming out after Cavils exit, perhaps I'm just cynical..
Also seeing articles about how Yen's actress was cast, not just because of her acting ability but also because the showrunners are trying to break societal norms about beauty, I mean, really....

To me, and clearly not you, as we disagree to the point we are doing, that even though the showrunners mocked the fans and the source material and changed things to make it more Ciri/Yen based rather than Geralt based, none of the backlash is their fault, they're having to make changes to suit a wider audience, they're trying to be inclusive, trying to break societal norms, but no one of those choices they've made are their fault, its all toxic gamer bro and his buddies...
That source material that you still haven't read? Still claiming you have no agenda despite again making claims about changes based on something you have never read?

And again back to the source material thing, I've already said I haven't read it yes, but I'm basing what I'm saying on what others have said, so the fact you keep going back to how I haven't read it, somehow means that I can't mention that others have said that the TV adaptation strays from the source material..

But I'm the one with an agenda here?

And again back to the source material thing, I've already said I haven't read it yes, but I'm basing what I'm saying on what others have said, so the fact you keep going back to how I haven't read it, somehow means that I can't mention that others have said that the TV adaptation strays from the source material..

But I'm the one with an agenda here?
This is pretty clear. I've never seen anyone argue something that has no relevance to them before. Why would you care if it's different from the source material if you've never read it? The only way you'd be seeking out these articles and regurgitating other's opinions is if you have a larger agenda.

That's not what he said exactly is it? He said that when being adapted things have to be changed to appeal to a larger world-wide audience, a lot of which are American which is true. He said younger audiences generally have shorter attention spans because they mostly consume Tik Tok and Youtube which is....true? Again this is nothing new, books are always simplified when adapted to tv/film. Can you imagine a faithful adaptation of LOTR? It would have been absolutely loved by the 10% that were book fans and flopped completely to everyone else.
Luckily the producers of GoT knew this to be utter ****** and didn't 'dumb down' the show (beyond a couple of minor plot points largly) for western audiences, same with HoD. Strange how 2 of the higher rated fantasy productions of the past 10-15 years both treated the audiences like adults instead of serving up a steaming pile of **** and then saying to the people it was aimed at 'you're all far too stupid to understand the finer details'.

Luckily the producers of GoT knew this to be utter ****** and didn't 'dumb down' the show (beyond a couple of minor plot points largly) for western audiences, same with HoD. Strange how 2 of the higher rated fantasy productions of the past 10-15 years both treated the audiences like adults instead of serving up a steaming pile of **** and then saying to the people it was aimed at 'you're all far too stupid to understand the finer details'.

In fairness, GoT was a bit of nudity / sex fest for the first couple of seasons and I think this was intended as a selling point for the show - it’s a little cringe when rewatching it as it really stands out. There is a scene where two girls are doing sexy things whilst Little Finger talks and it’s just eh. Thankfully they dropped this as it went on.

In fairness, GoT was a bit of nudity / sex fest for the first couple of seasons and I think this was intended as a selling point for the show - it’s a little cringe when rewatching it as it really stands out. There is a scene where two girls are doing sexy things whilst Little Finger talks and it’s just eh. Thankfully they dropped this as it went on.
The show was pretty tame compared to the books for t&a :D

Back
Top Bottom