The XProto Project - AquaFusion, Vertical, Chrome, Industrial.

Soldato
OP
That looks actually amazing. Curious how dusty this type of build would get

Not much dust at all tbh, just the odd bit ontop of the case but a quick cloth does the job. I find i get much less dust than with it being inside a case. Fans just blow dust all over the components where as an open system like this, dust generally doesn't set anywhere except ontop. I've not had to clean it yet since building it and its still pretty much dust free except the top bit like i mentioned.

Soldato
OP
Yeah ditto on dust as Jay85 said, I mounted two 280mm rads each side of my Xproto-L on the AIO mounts and then push pull fresh airflow inwards to the middle of the PC. I put 80 mesh dust filters on each outermost fan and that catches micro dust, the rest of it I just blow it out with a PC blower handheld I bought on Amazon. I have got a hepa air filter in my office that seems to draw most dust into that instead of my PC. Little cleaning required with openair.

Much prefer this now over enclosed cases, i feel like design wise its easier to build in as well. I do regret not getting the middle 30mm extender, would have made cabling a little easier but no biggy.

Soldato
OP
I had to buy the c extender because I installed the aquacomputer quadro in the middle and all the cabling for the pump, etc. Only way I cut down on bulk was using Cablemod silver sff unsleeved cables.

I did it the other way and hid it next to the PSU and a bulk of the cabling for all the aquacomputer stuff tucked underneath the case feet. My initial plan was to mount the hub underneath the feet on the inside but as you’ve probably figured out as well, there isn’t enough room especially with the Molex power plugged in.

The other thing i wanted was the infinity bar in the middle but it was out of stock at the time.

Soldato
OP
Very nice and if you can afford it why not. I don't think you'll be needing to replace it for a long time.

Absolutely will not be needing to for a very long time, i think im set for the next 5 years at least. It's an absolute monster...

Very little coil whine with this one too, i barely hear it and i have the pc right next to me. Something i was abit weary of but i think i got lucky here.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
its a nice looking little case, can we see it? whats the system used for

that's definitely coming

Full build log here:

Its tempting to get the Heatkiller V Pro block for it but at the same time i love the look of the FE cooler too much. I think i'll leave it alone for the time being, maybe if im feeling adventurous again :cry:

Soldato
OP
I'm insanely jealous of that build, looks totally amazing, love the chrome pipes the RGB reflection off those looks really good. With the external rad what temps are you getting, can you hear the fans at all or are they just really low RPM to keep the air flowing across the radiator?

Thanks mate, the fans run around 1000rpm and i cannot hear it all. It's basically silent, the only thing audible now when im gaming or doing anything with load is the FE cooler fans but that's a very quiet and minor sound. Because of the size of the radiator and how good the Phantek T30's are, you really don't need to run them at high speed and they can hit close to 3000rpm iirc. It's all managed by Aquacomputers Aquasuite which follows the coolant temperature curve i've set rather than a specific component temp.

Soldato
OP

Didn't realise you linked it already, thanks mate!

Soldato
OP
No problem :)

I was also gonna ask yesterday if you had plans to watercool it, but after looking at the pics for a couple of minutes I absolutely love how the FE cooler goes with the build.
I suppose if the fan noise starts to bother you then for me that would be the only motivating factor in watercooling it!

Yeah, i mean the rest of the system is dead silent even under load so unless it really does get to me then i probably will. There's just something about this cooler that really ticks all the boxes and with it sat in the rig like that, like a great monolith is quite the sight to see.

Putting it on water would probably be quite easy as well, just need to adjust the tubing run again.

Think im still in the honeymoon phase with it right now so nothing will bug me :cry:

Soldato
OP
Braided the ZMT tubing yesterday, very satisfying. The ZMT tubing while very durable is a magnet for dust and not so easy to clean off with a microfibre. With the braided sleeve over it, its much easier to keep clean now.

Very satisfied with the outcome. Considering doing other tubing in the future, maybe a hardline kit with sleeving.

also ordered some automotive clamps to hold the 2 tubes together better instead of using tie wraps.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I caved, i went ahead last night and bought the Heatkiller Pro block for my 4090FE.

The question now is, tubing run? I also want to play with the idea of running quick disconnects on this but its going to be tight on space and it will also mean using soft tubing BUT i can use braided sleeving to make it abit more rigid.

Got a headache right now so im gonna give this some thought in the next couple of days and update here.

Back
Top Bottom