The XProto Project - AquaFusion, Vertical, Chrome, Industrial.

Soldato
OP
That looks actually amazing. Curious how dusty this type of build would get

Not much dust at all tbh, just the odd bit ontop of the case but a quick cloth does the job. I find i get much less dust than with it being inside a case. Fans just blow dust all over the components where as an open system like this, dust generally doesn't set anywhere except ontop. I've not had to clean it yet since building it and its still pretty much dust free except the top bit like i mentioned.

Associate
Yeah ditto on dust as Jay85 said, I mounted two 280mm rads each side of my Xproto-L on the AIO mounts and then push pull fresh airflow inwards to the middle of the PC. I put 80 mesh dust filters on each outermost fan and that catches micro dust, the rest of it I just blow it out with a PC blower handheld I bought on Amazon. I have got a hepa air filter in my office that seems to draw most dust into that instead of my PC. Little cleaning required with openair.

Soldato
OP
Yeah ditto on dust as Jay85 said, I mounted two 280mm rads each side of my Xproto-L on the AIO mounts and then push pull fresh airflow inwards to the middle of the PC. I put 80 mesh dust filters on each outermost fan and that catches micro dust, the rest of it I just blow it out with a PC blower handheld I bought on Amazon. I have got a hepa air filter in my office that seems to draw most dust into that instead of my PC. Little cleaning required with openair.

Much prefer this now over enclosed cases, i feel like design wise its easier to build in as well. I do regret not getting the middle 30mm extender, would have made cabling a little easier but no biggy.

Associate
Much prefer this now over enclosed cases, i feel like design wise its easier to build in as well. I do regret not getting the middle 30mm extender, would have made cabling a little easier but no biggy.
I had to buy the c extender because I installed the aquacomputer quadro in the middle and all the cabling for the pump, etc. Only way I cut down on bulk was using Cablemod silver sff unsleeved cables.

Soldato
OP
I had to buy the c extender because I installed the aquacomputer quadro in the middle and all the cabling for the pump, etc. Only way I cut down on bulk was using Cablemod silver sff unsleeved cables.

I did it the other way and hid it next to the PSU and a bulk of the cabling for all the aquacomputer stuff tucked underneath the case feet. My initial plan was to mount the hub underneath the feet on the inside but as you’ve probably figured out as well, there isn’t enough room especially with the Molex power plugged in.

The other thing i wanted was the infinity bar in the middle but it was out of stock at the time.

Associate
I did it the other way and hid it next to the PSU and a bulk of the cabling for all the aquacomputer stuff tucked underneath the case feet. My initial plan was to mount the hub underneath the feet on the inside but as you’ve probably figured out as well, there isn’t enough room especially with the Molex power plugged in.

The other thing i wanted was the infinity bar in the middle but it was out of stock at the time.
Yeah the PSU molex bending inwards just made me leave whole area alone. I actually used the SSD holder that came with the standard L kit and drilled two holes in it for the quadro and then fixed that into behind the MB window where the PCIE ribbon cable passes through. However with that c extender I literally had 2-3mm play in the PCIE cable, a few heart stopping moment in this build where things didn't line up and I'd be scratching my head for days on how to do it cleaner :)

I discovered the c extender is only designed to extend the middle by 30mm and not to be used together with the stock 15mm extender. I had to screw in the 30mm extender bracket screws 1° off and then tighten it all down square on to make the centre 45mm. Tricky but it all worked out and is solid. I couldn't use the infinity bar on my build because I used two 15mm aio pass though brackets to allow my 4 fan cables out onto my fans.

In the end I had to just fold up the 3 ARGB cables from CPU, GPU and flow indicator and SATA pump power into a tidy ball with a cable tidy and place up above the PSU molex and it holds itself in, probably the least tidy part of my build, but no one can see that bit above the bottom USB downward facing ports.

Probably my biggest build regret was using 6cm thick rads, they are huge with push pull config hanging of those 280mm aio brackets. I started out making a SFF pc, I ended up with an inside out pc that takes up more room than my Corsair X280 case I left from my old build, HA.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Very nice and if you can afford it why not. I don't think you'll be needing to replace it for a long time.

Absolutely will not be needing to for a very long time, i think im set for the next 5 years at least. It's an absolute monster...

Very little coil whine with this one too, i barely hear it and i have the pc right next to me. Something i was abit weary of but i think i got lucky here.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm insanely jealous of that build, looks totally amazing, love the chrome pipes the RGB reflection off those looks really good. With the external rad what temps are you getting, can you hear the fans at all or are they just really low RPM to keep the air flowing across the radiator?

Back
Top Bottom