There's a dead rat in my garden, what am I to do?

Soldato
Deleted
XNwadUA.mp4

Last edited:
Soldato
I mean, you'd put leftovers from a roast in there?

Not saying I would put a dead rat in but it isn't so different from a bit of raw beef!
My green garden bin wasn't emptied the other week because I had around 4 carrot peelings on the top of a load of leaves/garden waste, apparently I should have put the peelings in the food bin. I don't imagine a dead rat would go down well with these jobsworths. :D

Soldato
Whenever one of my mum's cats kills a mouse or rat (rare nowadays as they get older and fatter) we leave them in the garden or on the garage roof, the crows love it and within an hour or so the bodies have always gone. Same when my snake decides he doesn't want his dinner, the crows get a good meal :)

Magpies do try but other than throwing them around, they can't seem to figure out what to do with it, which seems surprising.

Soldato
As per the title, just noticed a large, dead rat in the middle of the garden.

I'm very squirmish and not sure what to do. So I am turning to GD. :confused:

1. Should I just leave it in the hope that local wildlife will dispose of it?
2. Man up and throw it in the bin? If so, which one; General Waste or Food waste?
3. Pick it up and sling it elsewhere?
4. Or leave it as it is and let it rot and decompose?
5. Let the dead rat own my garden and never go out there again?
6. Take GD's advice?

For those who say "pics or it didn't happen."
Dead Rat RIP, on Flickr

Mods, if this image is too much please let me know I'll remove it.

Tape it onto your head take your clothes off and run around town waving your arms about saying "meep loop eep nuergh pfto Naaa toot looah wagghh"

Soldato
Leave it and a fox or scavenging bird will clear it up for you.

This. Where I live (outskirts of town) there's enough wild scavengers (Seagulls, Rooks, Magpies, the odd Buzzard, rough looking cats & a family of urban foxes settled nearby) to dispose of any carrion lying around. I've left trapped mice & a pigeon that I've run over with my car out in my garden overnight & the next morning its gone. A bit like feeding time at the zoo. ;) :p

Back
Top Bottom