Thieves! :(

Man of Honour
After seeing the burgled thread in GD I thought I would post an update.

Everything was not as we believed in a move that baffled the police as much as us. The thief was caught on the cameras driving the car under same plates on the Tuesday from Southampton to Portsmouth.

The tuesday or wednesday after it had happened. The police put someone on him to tail him in portsmouth but he got spooked parked up and disapeared. So we got the car back on the Thursday, it had all my housemates items in the car, his suit, shoes work keys etc. The thief had not even put any petrol in the car. The police think he must have hid the car for a couple of days before taking it out...

No laptops were found and after the police took loads of prints from the car they are pretty sure of who it is ( aparently known) however still no news of an arrest.
I am not sure if he is still on the run or they just have not picked him up :/

We are just glad the car is back with no damage and only 20miles put on it.

Not that uncommon - they'll often park it up out the way within 20 minutes drive to see if there is a tracker on the car and wait a couple of days before moving it again. (Though more common if its a stolen to order car that they can't get into a container and shipped off asap).

EDIT: Replying to a couple of older posts I missed before:

That only happens if the alarms are known for sounding false alarms, in which case it's because they are either cheap or have been cheaply installed.

Round my way the neighbours will if an alarm goes off pop out and have a look. We also have each others mobile phone numbers so can call to notify each other.

From my experience thats almost more of an exception than the norm, does depend a bit on what part of the country and what part of town (or size of the built up area) you live in though. While it is a gross generalisation most places I've lived people take little notice of an alarm going off unless they also see something suspicious or its been going off quite awhile - by which point anyone is long gone.

That point is irrelevant. If a burglar is faced with two houses, one alarmed and one not, which do you think they are going to go for?

More complicated than that - being able to quickly get in and out - as much as possible unobserved visually and the likely value they can get away with will both be bigger concerns than a house alarm.

Last edited:
Associate
Glad you got it back in the end and it worked out good :). A couple of years ago i had the exact same thing happen to me. I woke up to go to work one morning and went to get car keys and they were no longer hanging up! I was sleeping upstairs with my wife and 1 yr old son in his room when somebody hooked my keys off a hook through letterbox and use them to get into the house and take the car and wallet but nothing else.

I only had the car 6 weeks and was totally gutted, but moreso because somebody was in my house when we were sleeping it really freaked my mrs out big time and we've now invested in a burglar alarm, wish we had it sooner!!

Car was later recovered, had been smashed into apole and was written off.:(

Soldato
Most places I've lived a house alarm is about as good as a chocolate tea pot

Most modern alarms allow you to define zones. Mine does, so we have the ability to arm all the downstairs sensors while leaving the upstairs sensors off.

Every night, we arm the downstairs, which means *any* activity downstairs such as any door being opened or window smashed, or movement in any downstairs room will immediately set the alarm off (without the usual 10 seconds grace to enter the code in).

This would mean the instant they gained entry by entering any downstairs room, the alarm would immediately sound which would obviously wake me up. Hopefully at this point the thief will quickly exit. If he doesn't, my plan is to hide behind the bedroom door in the dark with an extremely solid Maglight torch in my hand. I'd easily hear him coming up the stairs thanks to them creaking and believe me, as soon as he steps into the room, I'll be bringing it down on his head from behind with all the strength I can.

Man of Honour
Most modern alarms allow you to define zones. Mine does, so we have the ability to arm all the downstairs sensors while leaving the upstairs sensors off.

Every night, we arm the downstairs, which means *any* activity downstairs such as any door being opened or window smashed, or movement in any downstairs room will immediately set the alarm off (without the usual 10 seconds grace to enter the code in).

This would mean the instant they gained entry by entering any downstairs room, the alarm would immediately sound which would obviously wake me up. Hopefully at this point the thief will quickly exit. If he doesn't, my plan is to hide behind the bedroom door in the dark with an extremely solid Maglight torch in my hand. I'd easily hear him coming up the stairs thanks to them creaking and believe me, as soon as he steps into the room, I'll be bringing it down on his head from behind with all the strength I can.

Yeah thats a good use for an alarm system, my post was more in the context of preventing a burglary, there are a lot more useful things before an alarm unfortunately (depending a bit on the nature of your neighbourhood).

Soldato
So when you say the keys were hidden what do you mean? In a coat pocket in the hall?

Just a bit puzzled because some people in this thread are going on about leaving the keys out in the house to avoid being interrogated and you say you are glad they found them, so why hide them in the first place?

Glad he got his car back though :)

Associate
Took the window completely out in the downstairs toilet at my sisters house whist they slept upstairs, took the brother-in-laws Audi S3...

Never found it, probably in a shipping container before they woke up.

I'm also surprised at the fact people are leaving the keys out to make the job easier for the burglar!...really? Lets make it easier for them shall we, why not just leave the doors/windows unlocked, milk and cookies near the front door!!!

SOD that!!!...make it near impossible for them with every deterrent.

My home is my Castle!!

Soldato
I'm also surprised at the fact people are leaving the keys out to make the job easier for the burglar!...really? Lets make it easier for them shall we, why not just leave the doors/windows unlocked, milk and cookies near the front door!!!

Indeed, has been police advice for ages to not keep keys on keyhooks near your front door. All it takes is an extendable magnetic rod and somebody can have your car keys through the letter box.

Also eye boggling are people that don't have a deadlock on their door and rely on a yale. When I got burgled one of the things the burglars did was put the snib on the yale lock (door was deadlocked as well, apparently they do it to give them time to escape if someone comes back when they are there). The locksmith had the door open in 5seconds with a wee gadget that went through the letter box, used it to take the snib off and pull the handle = door opened.

Soldato

SOD that!!!...make it near impossible for them with every deterrent.

My home is my Castle!!

Equally if they don't find the keys easily downstairs and come upstairs to wake you and the wife up with a metal bar to get the keys - how is that going to be better?

Don't leave keys within reach of any door or window (like on a table) but I wouldn't hide them away or take them to bed.

Associate
Equally if they don't find the keys easily downstairs and come upstairs to wake you and the wife up with a metal bar to get the keys - how is that going to be better?

Don't leave keys within reach of any door or window (like on a table) but I wouldn't hide them away or take them to bed.

How about making so they can't get in the house in the place?

Associate
People will always find ways in.

Not everybody can budget for a mega expensive CCTV system with locking alarmed gates and all that jazz and even then people still get in.

Sorry bud, I can't accept that 'people will always get it'.

Why should be assume we are all victims whether we like it or not!....

Soldato
Sorry bud, I can't accept that 'people will always get it'.

Why should be assume we are all victims whether we like it or not!....

Please show me a system which can guarantee someone could not force their way in to your home and I (along with millions others) will adopt it.

Associate
My Mum was telling me about someone she works with, turned up late for work one morning. Apparently he'd lost his car keys and ended up getting the train in a hurry. Got home that night and couldn't find them.

At that point he and his other half went outside and realised not only had their keys gone, so had the car. Some people...

Soldato
Please show me a system which can guarantee someone could not force their way in to your home and I (along with millions others) will adopt it.

2vctf0z.jpg

Anyone prepared to risk life and limb wrestling with a 5-6stone guard dog quite frankly deserves the keys :D

Last edited:
Associate
If someone really wants to get in, how do you propose stopping them?

Please define 'really' wants to get in?

Bulldozer through the wall, maybe?

What were talking about here is entering through an unlocked window or picking a lock, and grabbing a set of keys on the kitchen table. These things can be easily be avoided using common sense and security available to you such has dead locks and keys etc...manufactures guarantee this along as it's used correctly.

What, people thing they have 007 entering there home and there's no point resisting! lol

Back
Top Bottom