Things I don't like (TIDL) thread

RxR

RxR

Soldato
I ****ing hate that. Bloody Banduras.

Confession: I got the punctuation wrong...his surname is Bandura :-/

e: as self-efficacy is very much a leads-to positive emotion theory, it's somewhat at odds with the thrust of it that achieving the 'extra mile' depends on a negative evaluation. However, it makes perfect sense chemically, since doubt triggers release of cortisol, cortisol melts stored body fat = increased glucose availability (not eg. due to what was consumed immediately prior).

e2: Though I say "by chance" - I have been actively researching in related areas (eg. negative valence systems treatment dev) for 15+ years. As noted before, my health isn't that great - one major stressor I have is whether I will have enough time to write up the integrated model of that rsch program. And ftr, the specific superordinate variable subtype (doubt subspecies) is exactly the same type as persists ptsd - I think I mentioned it above in this thread.

Last edited:
Soldato
Morons who can't use escalators correctly and stop the moment they get on.

You're supposed to keep going. The movement of the steps is there to ESCALATE your ascent/descent not do it for you.
Hard disagree. I stand because my knees hurt after a day on the tube. The steps on escalators aren't appropriately sized for walking up, they're too tall.

Stand on the ****** right though.

Caporegime

You're supposed to keep going. The movement of the steps is there to ESCALATE your ascent/descent not do it for you.

Nope

You stand on the right, walk on the left. Some people are elderly and/or not good with steps, some people have luggage with them etc...

Soldato
Also nope. Steps are far too tall for them to be designed for walking.

This reminds me of people who overtake in busy rush hour traffic just so they can be a few cars ahead.

Associate
Also nope. Steps are far too tall for them to be designed for walking.

This reminds me of people who overtake in busy rush hour traffic just so they can be a few cars ahead.

I overtake.

It often pays dividends, because you get in front of that one DITHERER, who "allows" a ten car gap in front before moving off at traffic lights, thereby holding up 5 other cars that would have otherwise gotten through had that one ditherer not been holding them back. My overtaking, therefore, often does not come at the expense of other drivers getting through the next set of lights, but does mean that I might get through every set of lights 2 minutes quicker than had I not overtaken the ditherers...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't like incompetent drivers with no situational awareness of the surrounding environment, with no skill in planning where to position their car or skill in anticipating other driver's actions (or inactions).
That's right, I don't like ditherers... (and I particularly don't like ditherers who get angsty when I overtake them - just concentrate on your own driving and ignore me making progress, I promise I won't affect your drive or your route, unlike you, you hypocrite ditherer.)

Soldato

Every escalator I’ve used had the same big “walk on the left or stand on right” sign clearly displayed to one side of the escalator as you get on it. Either a dozen countries on four different continents are wrong or you are.

Soldato
I overtake.

It often pays dividends, because you get in front of that one DITHERER, who "allows" a ten car gap in front before moving off at traffic lights, thereby holding up 5 other cars that would have otherwise gotten through had that one ditherer not been holding them back. My overtaking, therefore, often does not come at the expense of other drivers getting through the next set of lights, but does mean that I might get through every set of lights 2 minutes quicker than had I not overtaken the ditherers...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't like incompetent drivers with no situational awareness of the surrounding environment, with no skill in planning where to position their car or skill in anticipating other driver's actions (or inactions).
That's right, I don't like ditherers... (and I particularly don't like ditherers who get angsty when I overtake them - just concentrate on your own driving and ignore me making progress, I promise I won't affect your drive or your route, unlike you, you hypocrite ditherer.)

I agree with everything you have said! If someone is dithering and there's space up ahead, I'll blast past every time. What I was meaning was those who overtake, often in a dangerous scenario, when there's a road full of traffic ahead so there's zero benefit other than gaining 10 meters of space.

Soldato
Think I don't like... people who can't spot emergency vehicles behind them. I often pull over with hazards or indicators on and cars behind then pull out and try to overtake :confused: Once this has happened and the car behind nearly side swiped an ambulance?!

It also frustrates me when I see people do STUPID things when they see emergency vehicles.. for example there's a road with traffic coming in both directions, a driver sees an ambulance behind and thinks oh I better slow down... then instead of the ambulance being stuck behind a car doing 30-40mph, they're stuck doing 15mph :confused:. If you can't pull over safely just keep driving at a normal speed until you can let them past.

Soldato
Think I don't like... people who can't spot emergency vehicles behind them. I often pull over with hazards or indicators on and cars behind then pull out and try to overtake :confused: Once this has happened and the car behind nearly side swiped an ambulance?!

It also frustrates me when I see people do STUPID things when they see emergency vehicles.. for example there's a road with traffic coming in both directions, a driver sees an ambulance behind and thinks oh I better slow down... then instead of the ambulance being stuck behind a car doing 30-40mph, they're stuck doing 15mph :confused:. If you can't pull over safely just keep driving at a normal speed until you can let them past.

I noticed an ambulance approaching from my rear as I was coming up to a red light the other day. Two lanes & I was in the right lane so I moved left & stopped short, just in case I got it wrong. Other vehicles followed suit.

Sodding taxi pulls around everyone and blocks the right lane off, right where the ambulance was going.

Associate
I agree with everything you have said! If someone is dithering and there's space up ahead, I'll blast past every time. What I was meaning was those who overtake, often in a dangerous scenario, when there's a road full of traffic ahead so there's zero benefit other than gaining 10 meters of space.

Cool :thumbsup

Even on those occasions, of just gaining 10 metres - that could be the difference in being able to overtake in the next SAFE gap and clearing the "hazard", or not being able to make progress - while all the other traffic just wants to sit in the queue and nobody makes the effort to overtake where they quite clearly could do so in a perfectly safe manner. Just because hose drivers lack the skill and awareness and forward planning, that doesn't mean we all have to sit there with our thumbs up our butts and only looking no further than the end of our bonnets (hoods, for any 'mericans reading this diatribe).

I also drive very powerful, sporty and well-handling cars with quality tyres and well maintained, sometimes "uprated" brakes - so a clumsy (incompetent) onlooker might not be able to decipher that my overtaking is actually "safe" where it might not be in other lesser able cars.
Let's not get started on those that try to close the gap while you're in the process of overtaking and then giving that evil stare as if *I'm* the one doing something "dangerous"...

Associate

Oh, dude, I'm so in agreement on this one. There are incompetents plaguing the roads. Incompetents everywhere. Soon we will have incompetents falling from the sky :)

Caporegime

Think about it rationally. If it were a device to accelerate movement then why stop at going up/down? In airports they have conveyors on the flat as well (not seen them anywhere else), which are clearly designed so that people can move faster.

Why have escalators when you could have stairs? Clearly they are for people who struggle with stairs and/or the extra effort needed to gain altitude. It's an accessibility thing rather than a "gotta go fast" thing.

You don't have to stop but you shouldn't chastise people who do.

Esp when in my experience they often have signs saying, "You must hold on to the handrail at all times." That kind of implies standing still, imho.

Caporegime
I overtake.

You sound like a lovely chap :rolleyes:

Don't come to Cornwall - you're likely to have an aneurysm.

Associate
You sound like a lovely chap :rolleyes:

Don't come to Cornwall - you're likely to have an aneurysm.

Thank you kindly, sir.
That's because I *am* a lovely chap. An officer and a gentleman, in fact...

The fundamental point is that I dislike *the act* of dithering. It's nothing personal, really.

Another thing that I don't like is taking things that aren't personal as a personal insult

Soldato
Recently this has been irking me in my workplace, a large corporate HQ... I'll be walking around the building and spot women (ok 3 so far) who dye their hair in bright colours like super bright purple, blue or a rainbow mixture, then a few weeks later it's dyed a different obnoxious colour.

It strikes me these women either;
a - want to be noticed and get the attention (which is shame as they're all not attractive)
b - lead dull lives and think they're being fashionable/leading a trend

get a life!

men that don't realise women dress for themselves, rather than for men.

Soldato
Barry boys in their tarted up shopping trollies with farty exhausts racing round and round residential areas :mad:

Find myself wishing they'd all go park in a ditch.

Oh, and people who drag full sized bikes onto an absolutely packed train, really clever that.

I'll add another one as I've got going now :p

Smokers all gathering around entrances to pubs, making it difficult to actually get in and causing you to inhale a load of disgusting smoke whilst you try.

Last edited:
Soldato
People with dietary requirements acting entitled. Case in point, had a scratch card win last week so felt generous as it was Friday.. bought 2 boxes of Krispy Kreme donuts for my team and the rest of the office to enjoy. Resident vegan kicks off because I didn't bring any vegan/gluten free options..

Alright, tw**, next time I'll give everyone the same treatment and bring nothing. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom