Things you should have known about but until recently, you didn't.

Man of Honour
The feeling that you're short of air and need to breathe is not triggered by you not having enough oxygen. It's triggered by you having too much carbon dioxide. That's why gases that don't have a smell or taste and which don't cause any irritation are particularly dangerous - since you're breathing fine and thus getting rid of excess carbon dioxide you won't feel as though there's a problem until you start suffering from oxygen deprivation and by then it's probably too late. If you're asleep, you probably won't notice anything before you die.

Soldato
Everyone probably knows ctrl c and ctrl v, but only 4 years ago I learned ctrl x

So for about 14 years I've been highlighting text then ctrl c and backspace.

Soldato
On September the 11th 1683, approx 20000 cavalry lead by the Polish Winged Hussars routed the Ottomans who had Austrian Vienna under siege. This stopped the Islam incursions into Europe, and probably changed the course of history quite significantly.

This is considered to be the largest charge of cavalry ever to have occurred and was the source of inspiration for the cavalry charge that occurred in Lord of the Rings :)

Of course 100 years later, Austria, Russia and Prussia divided Poland up and removed it from existence for a while.

Soldato
I've just ordered a Egg and a chicken from Amazon.

I'll let you know

bba49105b8bde3ecfba477d8c8d73ee2.jpg

Associate
Had to grab a link to Ken Dodd singing about his Diddy men for... reasons, when a couple of seconds into it the penny dropped.
They're called Diddy men, because they're diddy (small).

:eek:

(when that penny dropped, it made a huge crater)

He's been going on about Diddy men since the '60s & I only caught onto this a couple of days ago. :rolleyes:

Soldato
The feeling that you're short of air and need to breathe is not triggered by you not having enough oxygen. It's triggered by you having too much carbon dioxide.

Yep, I was at a scuba diving pool session a few years ago and a guy forgot to turn on the O2 for his rebreather.

The unit scrubs the CO2 from the circulating 'air' so he didn't notice anything was wrong and just passed out at the bottom of the pool.

It was the plunge pool for the 10m high-dive so we're talking about 5-6m deep.

Luckily for him, there were a lot of highly qualified divers around and all the rescue training just kicks in.

We got him out and an ambulance arrived within a few minutes.

He survived but I don't think he will use a rebreather again.

Back
Top Bottom